Sign in to follow this  
Disparaitre

Edited by Disparaitre

Get a 120gb SanDisk Ultra SSD and use it for my OS and games...

... but wait for the price to drop again. It's $15 more expensive than it was 3 weeks ago.

Get a 120gb SanDisk Ultra SSD and use it for my OS and games.

For "YOUR" OS and games? :lol:

I say the 120GB SanDisk as well, but you don't have to store my games on it. On the serious side of things, go with more space. If you are super worried about writes to your SSD, you can use SymLinks to a storage drive.

If I recall correctly, you don't have any intel based sata 3 ports. That being the case, I would either go with the sandisk one if you just like an easy and simple solution, or you could get corsair nova 60gb and put them in raid 0 to get closer to the force 3 gt speed, if speed is what you want. Certainly though, there is no reason for you to even be looking at the force 3 gt drive considering your current setup will bottle neck at least half the speed.

Level loading and computer use isn general is not about transfer rates but rather seek time and for that pretty much any SSD will give you the oh my god computer use moment. Right now you can get a 120 gig SSD for around $155 and a 128 for for around the same price point. The bigger drives, like 240 gig have fallen under $300 and are getting very attractive.

Level loading and computer use isn general is not about transfer rates but rather seek time and for that pretty much any SSD will give you the oh my god computer use moment. Right now you can get a 120 gig SSD for around $155 and a 128 for for around the same price point. The bigger drives, like 240 gig have fallen under $300 and are getting very attractive.

The prices will probably fall another ten dollars in February. Kind of makes me wish I bought the regular vertex 3 instead of the max IOPS edition for my laptop. If I had the regular version I could have put my desktop in raid 0 and I could have bought a 240gb SSD for my laptop. Unfortunately I am kind of stuck.

But dang Computer Ed. Nice find man. That vertex plus looks mighty tempting. :D

Just gonna put this out there, but you say you have 100GB of data, and you wanna put it on a 120GB SSD (probably closer to 110GB after formatting). You wanna have at least 30% of the SSD being empty or else it could get bogged down and you'll lose a ton of speed. So my suggestion is either get a 120GB SSD for just your games, or grab a 240GB SSD for your games, OS, and apps.

He said he would be willing to remove Oblivion from his machine. If he kept it under 90GB he would be good.

Agree with the others on holding out for a better price.

If you are only using the SSD for your OS and maybe 1-2 games then 90GB should suffice.

If you are looking to use the SSD for your OS, some games, and a few other programs (adobe, office, and so on) then I would go for the larger capacity to be on the safe side.

Originally I was going to go with a 90GB SSD considering I only use 300GB on my laptop and it has taken me years to even come close to using its full capacity. But decided against it recently because I wanted to be on the safe side. Also, if you keep your eye out on Newegg you may find some sweet deals for larger storage capacity SSDs. Recently I bought my 128GB Plextor for $145. IMO, it was a pretty hot deal for a marvell controller running toggle nand. If that hadn't come along I would've went with a Corsair.

Edit:

If you are choosing between those two, I would pick the one that is closer to $1/GB. If the price between the two aren't far off each other I would take take the synchronous NAND SSD.

Edited by PremiumAcc

If you just gotta add a SSD in the next month or so (with no other upgrades planned for a bit) I'd personally go for the SanDisk option. But as mentioned before, wait for the price to drop again or shop around. NewEgg's automated "pricing by demand" is kicking in on the Sandisk's right now.