Whats the best Non Windows OS other then Mac

DrDigitized2

This. I have been stymied at every turn in trying to learn linux. Most of my questions and problems get ridicule for noobishness and no help on the linux forums. For instance i have been stuck with a grub problem for a week and a half now and no-one on any of the three linux forums(or here for that matter) has answered helpfully. Only one guy answered and he did not even read the question, gave me a guide to editing grub 1.2 and i stated i was using 2.0.....

I really want to learn it but as andrew said it is not n00b friendly.

Try using the hirens boot cd. It is a bootable linux CD that you can kind of play around with.........a lot. I don't know exactly what your problem is (obviously) but there have been few problems I could not trouble shoot from the Hirens CD on linux Ubuntu.

I really want to learn it but as andrew said it is not n00b friendly.

That all depends on the distribution, some have a harder learning curve than others (along with idiosyncrasies aka Fedora's free open source only policy) ;)

All I can suggest is get your hands on a boot-able version of something akin to Ubuntu and you can "play" with it and not even have to install it (or disrupt your current installation), OR better yet have a dual boot configuration permitting you to have the best of both worlds, I've been using both without issue since 2007 :thumbsup:

Edited by tazwegion

Setting up a dual-boot might be harder than some people care to mess with first-round. I'd suggest getting an old machine (or just an old HDD) to install some flavor of Linux on if you want to mess around with it.

I definitely agree that Ubuntu is very easy, but it's almost too easy.

It seems to take away the learning that usually encompasses getting Linux up and running.

(what don't I bitch about?)

If I were to get into Linux I'd want to learn enough about it to become as proficient in it as I am in Windows.

I couldn't use an OS if I didn't know how to configure it.

It'd be hard for me to undo 15 years of Windows commands.

:lol:

Which is why it's a very good idea as some of you have said, to get a spare machine and play with it on there untill you know what you're doing.

Setting up a dual-boot might be harder than some people care to mess with first-round.

Then you're doing it wrong :yucky:

It may just be my preference, but I use 2 HDDs for a dual boot (installing an OS with the second drive disconnected) configuration choosing which drive I'll use (and ultimately OS) during POST at the boot menu ;)

I'd suggest getting an old machine (or just an old HDD) to install some flavor of Linux on if you want to mess around with it.

Worthy suggestion but not always practical for space limited (and cash strapped) individuals ;)

Then you're doing it wrong :yucky:

It may just be my preference, but I use 2 HDDs for a dual boot (installing an OS with the second drive disconnected) configuration choosing which drive I'll use (and ultimately OS) during POST at the boot menu ;)

That's what I do, which is why I mentioned using an old HDD. :P

Setting up a dual-boot might be harder than some people care to mess with first-round. I'd suggest getting an old machine (or just an old HDD) to install some flavor of Linux on if you want to mess around with it.

Thats what i have, and its running ubuntu, but grub is screwed up and remains screwed up throught 4 reinstalls. My thread for the problem is here.

I also have an ubuntu desktop vm that runs fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I been using Lubuntu for the past 1 year, and Ubuntu for the past 2 years BEFORE THAT... everything works with linux.. you just gotta know how to Google guides and such.. such as sound issues and videocard issues.. and graphics acceleration issues for videos. If you just need something for like webbrowsing... watching videos... bit-torrent, and general utility applications then Ubuntu or any of the ubuntu's work perfect.

if you like Videogames.. and Itunes... you gotta use windows or MacOS..it sucks.. but i will be having a return to windows within the next few days because I need something to play Diablo3 and Starcraft 2... if it wasn't for those 2 games I would have stuck with Linux OS's forever... Most of the commands on ANY of the ubuntus these days are like on forums.. and are quoted perfectly.. so you still never need to learn the commands... you basically just go to a forum.. and pretyt much copy and paste it in there to get your sound to work.. or to get some hardware issue resolved.

Edited by Sanosuke_Sagara