I pay for 12Mbps Internet

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may try removing the router as it has a firewall & resetting the modem & PC. Run a speed test then, at that point you have a pure connection to mediacom ONLY.

If those steps do not resolve your issue then please contact us on 866 452 4747 or through one of the forums below and we will be happy to help further.

Thank you

-Sam

Social Media Relations

Not seeing any firewall option on my Netgear N150, but it says it's enabled by default in the manual. But how would a firewall cause drops in speed at nights and weekends?

Here's the original email I sent them:

I'm currently paying for 12 Mbps internet speeds, and for the past month or so, my internet speed has dropped dramatically during nights and weekends, regardless of what I'm doing. I've made sure that I don't have any programs updating or downloading items, that I'm not streaming, downloading, or uploading anything, and speeds have still dropped as low as 1 Mbps. My wireless network is secured and only turned on when I'm using my laptop, my PC goes straight to the router via ethernet. I've ruled out everything except for it being a poor internet connection in general from Mediacom.

I'm disgusted at these inconsistent and poor speeds and am seriously considering switching to DSL from Alpine Communications, the only other ISP here. Unless you can give me an appropriate reason as to why I'm not receiving the internet I pay my hard earned money for, I will gladly pay the early termination fee and let my friends and family know about the horrendous internet that you provide.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

No difference made tonight by excluding the router, running at about 2 Mbps. As CS suggested I do, I went to my ISPs support forum. Upset message being posted there:

Going straight through the modem has done nothing, current speeds tonight are jumping between 2 and 8 Mbps at random. Again, I have nothing running in the background and have my wireless network turned off. I feel ripped off knowing that I'm not getting what I pay for each month. Is there any chance at this problem being fixed, or should I just cancel my internet altogether and go with DSL?

I'm already looking at DSL prices.