Official: AMD vs. Nvidia

What video card do you currently use?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What video card are you currently using?

This always turns into an absolute flame war but I think it can always be fun and entertaining. The forum rules will still apply but if the moderators want to let things slide it will be up to them.

I personally don't like nVidia's business tactics and that's why I don't use their product. They pretty much lie to the consumer if they mess something up. Just my opinion though but it comes from facts i.e. FX series and notebook GPU's that blew up lol.

Edited by f!ver

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nvidia cards I've used or owned:

GTX 275, GTX 460 1GB, GTX 560, GTX 560 Ti 1GB, GTX 560 Ti 2GB, GTX 570 1.2GB, GTX 580 1.5GB, GTX 580 3GB (soon to be).

AMD cards I've used or owned:

HD 5870 2GB, HD 6870 1GB, HD 6970 2GB

Obviously I'm a bit more swayed by Nvidia's performance, but depending on how the 600 series goes, I might try a HD 7970 once I find a deal (like around the $350 area).

It all depends really. To me this isn't such a big flame war because both Nvidia and ATI/AMD are really just about equal. What we see in the way of performance differences between the cards is really nothing more than one companies card trying to beat out the other at about the same price point. For instance the 560 ti and the radeon 6950. Depending on the configuration you want on the card, the 560 ti is usually about 10 dollars cheaper and the 6950 performs about 3 percent better (depending on the benchmark you are looking at). To me they are so similar to each other that it doesn't even really matter which one you get. The only reason I like the ATI/AMD cards a tad better is because it is really easy to tri or quad fire them. With Nvidia, you are still limited in your choices of cost effective triple or quad SLI. On the flip side I will probably stick with Nvidia because they support EVGA and Asus (I know AMD supports Asus as well, but their cards are often deactivated from newegg for some reason).

So in the end, until AMD gets better companies to support the GPU and STAY supported, I vote Nvidia.

Here's a question somewhat related to your statement TJ, aren't the main changes to the partner cards just basically new coolers (and maybe a BIOS tweak on some of the higher end ones)? So if you watercool your cards (I know it's a minority of us who do) it doesn't matter who the company supports for their partner cards cause you're always grabbing a reference card. Is that more or less correct?

Using good old Intel Integrated, lol. :lol: IT does what I need it to do for certain games, but I voted NVIDIA since I certainly favor them more. But just as a way to cover myself, I have owned two AMD graphics cards in the past, and one NVIDIA card, so I have experience with both. Even just a little, lol.