First Build

Shifty2105

i know most board these days feature higher quality sound and some even have inbuilt sound from thx and other great sound drivers but i believe the motherboard i am getting has neither

I have to say though, I have an older x58 mother board and a 40 dollar sound card. I do not notice a difference between the two. I have tried to even trick my brain into thinking the dedicated card is better, and they are still exactly the same. That is with the older boards, so I can only assume the newer boards are better.

As a compromise, take the sound card out of your build and test the on board audio and see if you like it. If it works (which I think it will) then you will have saved 30-50 bucks, and if it doesn't, then just add it on. Super simple and it gives you the best chance of saving some money.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say though, I have an older x58 mother board and a 40 dollar sound card. I do not notice a difference between the two. I have tried to even trick my brain into thinking the dedicated card is better, and they are still exactly the same. That is with the older boards, so I can only assume the newer boards are better.

As a compromise, take the sound card out of your build and test the on board audio and see if you like it. If it works (which I think it will) then you will have saved 30-50 bucks, and if it doesn't, then just add it on. Super simple and it gives you the best chance of saving some money.

i would do that but the shipping cost are considerable

buying the card by itself would have a shipping price of $12 while buying the card with the rest of the system would cost an additional 1 dollar to the total shipping price

and in your opinion would you get the coolermaster evo 212 or arctic cooling freezer 13 PRO?

i would do that but the shipping cost are considerable

buying the card by itself would have a shipping price of $12 while buying the card with the rest of the system would cost an additional 1 dollar to the total shipping price

and in your opinion would you get the coolermaster evo 212 or arctic cooling freezer 13 PRO?

Are you allowed to return the sound card? If you're, then just buy it first and return it later :lol:

An alternative would be to wait for SB-E i7 3820 and Rampage IV Formula... Or ditch the sound card entirely :P

Very limited number of heatsink can compete with the CM Hyper 212 Evo at that price point... The way I see it, it's the best money:performance ratio so I'd get the 212 Evo.

Are you allowed to return the sound card? If you're, then just buy it first and return it later :lol:

An alternative would be to wait for SB-E i7 3820 and Rampage IV Formula... Or ditch the sound card entirely :P

Very limited number of heatsink can compete with the CM Hyper 212 Evo at that price point... The way I see it, it's the best money:performance ratio so I'd get the 212 Evo.

it is possible to return items but they would have to be fault or incorrectly described and you have to pay for the return shipping so its counter productive

as for the cpu cooler, both are about the same price.

the evo 212 is $39 dollars and i don't like the stock thermal paste so i was going to buy some noctua thermal paste for $8 and the 2 items push the shipping cost up about $3

the freezer 13 pro is $49 is $1 extra for shipping, it also come with pre applies mx-4

so the 2 coolers are about the same price

If both are the same price, then why bother getting the one with lower performance? Unless you're looking for looks or any other thing, go with the 212

no no no. the evo 212 is normally cheaper but i don't like the stock thermal paste so i have to spend another 8-10 dollars on thermal paste. the freezer 13 pro costs more but comes with pre applies mx-4 so i don't have to buy thermal paste

thats how they're about the same price

no no no. the evo 212 is normally cheaper but i don't like the stock thermal paste so i have to spend another 8-10 dollars on thermal paste. the freezer 13 pro costs more but comes with pre applies mx-4 so i don't have to buy thermal paste

thats how they're about the same price

Ah Ok Then....

Personally I'd still go with the 212 Evo since even with the included thermal paste it performs great. Not sure with a mx-4 though

Shifty you.buying from pccg?

And you are in aus right?

212 evo and stock paste is. fine spending money on different paste that at most will drop temps a degree is not worth it imho. I have a 212+ and 2500k with the single stock fan and an oc of 4.3 with the temp controlling fan speed. It is by default 32.5% and ramps to 50% when it hits 40C in normal use I have never heard the fan ramp bar 35C+ summer days that have just begun hitting now.

Also that Asus and Sennhiser pack is a good thing just bare in mind it is really only designed for headphones and 2ch stuff.

If you want surround it becomes 5.1/7.1 of onboard (which even on cheap 1155 boards is fair alright) or toslink cable from op outs to a receiver.