1 Core about 20 degrees celcius hotter (Solutions?)

d3athsd00r

I pulled my entire system apart the other day trying to figure out what the booting problem was.

I reapplied my Arctic Silver 5 to my CPU using the grain of rice method and put my Cooler Master V8. I had this same problem as before but it wasn't as bad. Now one of my cores is about 20c hotter than the other. It idles at 43c while the other are anywhere from 22c-28c.

Before it was only about 10c or so difference but now it seems to be worse. Can anyone suggest a possible solution to this? I was thinking about lapping the cooler (too nervous to do the CPU) but I don't know where to find sand paper fine enough to do that. From the tutorials I've seen you need sandpaper around the 2000-3000 grit and I've never seen anything that fine in my life. I have a Lowe's, a few auto parts shops, and some small mom & pop computer shops at my disposal.

Auto parts stores will have the sandpaper that you need. It's used for paint jobs on cars...

Unless something is extremely out of whack, a core that's 20°C hotter than any other just can't be possible. I'd say ten at most - and that might be during initial boot-up when small, single-threaded apps are running.

What are the load temperatures? Are they still far apart, or are they more towards the same?

Auto parts stores will have the sandpaper that you need. It's used for paint jobs on cars...

Unless something is extremely out of whack, a core that's 20°C hotter than any other just can't be possible. I'd say ten at most - and that might be during initial boot-up when small, single-threaded apps are running.

What are the load temperatures? Are they still far apart, or are they more towards the same?

Here's a couple screens. First is idling and second is running prime95.

post-70300-0-36272700-1327129800_thumb.jpg

post-70300-0-70927900-1327129807_thumb.jpg

If you haven't overclocked that particular core a bit higher than other cores, this temperature difference is fishy. Or, you are constantly running any program which isn't multithreaded (i.e. like Media player classic)

First try re-seating your heatsink and reapplying thermal paste with the credit card method. Maybe the mounting mechanism isn't applying pressure evenly, is it screw based or those stupid push through ones?

"It idles at 43c while the other are anywhere from 22c-28c." 43c isn't very hot for a CPU, are you using the right program to measure? Speedfan is pretty terrible. If that is the correct temperature It may just be loaded with single-threaded applications.

Also you only need ~200, 320 grit, ~500 grit and 800 grit sand paper to lap a CPU and heatsink. For most of it use the 200 or 320 grit till you can see copper then move on to the others. 800 grit is what I stopped at the second time I lapped a CPU and it didn't seem to be worse than 1500 grit. They are both mirror smooth.

Edited by xchrissypoox

First try re-seating your heatsink and reapplying thermal paste with the credit card method. Maybe the mounting mechanism isn't applying pressure evenly, is it screw based or those stupid push through ones?

"It idles at 43c while the other are anywhere from 22c-28c." 43c isn't very hot for a CPU, are you using the right program to measure? Speedfan is pretty terrible. If that is the correct temperature It may just be loaded with single-threaded applications.

Also you only need ~200, 320 grit, ~500 grit and 800 grit sand paper to lap a CPU and heatsink. For most of it use the 200 or 320 grit till you can see copper then move on to the others. 800 grit is what I stopped at the second time I lapped a CPU and it didn't seem to be worse than 1500 grit. They are both mirror smooth.

lol. The credit card method is worst way to apply Thermalpaste. A dot in the center the size of a small pea rdmains the best. Make sure you have enough torque with the heatsink to the mobo.

It could be the heatsink's mounting. The V8 uses an unsprung (other than the springiness of the "legs") 4-point mounting system, which isn't the best at applying even pressure. Try reseating the heatsink and do your best to make sure all four corners are evenly tight.

It could just be that the temp sensor is messed up. Call up intel and see if they can't do anything for you. Otherwise it sounds like your CPU could be going bad.

wtf, I could see the trmps sensor theory but why the hell you telling him the CPU could be going bad. It ain't.