Possibly a kind of wierd question

Ok, this may sound a bit unusual, but does anyone know what kind of mobo an Xbox 360 uses? I mean, is it mini Atx, mini Itx, something else entirely, what? I'm wondering because I'm interested in getting a motherboard of comparable size, if not a bit smaller.

Ok, this may sound a bit unusual, but does anyone know what kind of mobo an Xbox 360 uses? I mean, is it mini Atx, mini Itx, something else entirely, what? I'm wondering because I'm interested in getting a motherboard of comparable size, if not a bit smaller.

Micro ATX, but that is just in size. The true for factor of an Xbox 360 is proprietary, so you can't buy something exactly similar to that mobo.

Micro ATX, but that is just in size. The true for factor of an Xbox 360 is proprietary, so you can't buy something exactly similar to that mobo.

Oh, yeah, I know that. I was just wondering, in terms of size, what the Xbox mobo was most similar to. Thanks for the answer!

The original Xbox 360 had a motherboard slightly wider than an mATX motherboard, but the newer slim 360s should have a slightly smaller one. Still, like Tjj226 said, an mATX motherboard would be the closest comparable PC one.

The question is, why do you want a similar-sized motherboard for your PC? Is it just a space issue with where the computer would go or trying to build an Xbox 360-like PC?

I see one of two things happening now:

- pc in an xbox shell

- xbox in a small pc case for greater airflow but not compromising on size

I am hoping its the former :happy:

You are most perceptive, sir. It is indeed the former...AND the latter! The airflow on my 360 sucks, and the system will glitch out or shut down after a long gaming session (if any of you play Skyrim, you know how long that can be). I kept thinking to myself that it would be really nice if the Xbox case had better airflow, or if I could water-cool it. I'm REALLY new to the idea of water-cooling a normal PC, so the thought of trying to water-cool an Xbox is a daunting one to me to say the least (I know it can be done, and done well, but I also know my limitations). So, in a search for ideas, I started looking around on the internet, and came up with the following scenario:

Take the Xbox 360 out of the box, so to speak, and place it in a real PC case that offers better airflow. I like the looks of the New Alienware X51 gaming PC, and I'd love to get my hands on one of their cases. A few mods and I'd have an Xbox that is also heart-stoppingly beautiful. But, since the X51 case doesn't seem to be widely available yet - YET - I'll have to go with another small form factor PC case. I'm open to suggestions.

But, then I thought, heck, I'll have an empty Xbox 360 case laying around, and it would be a shame to just toss it out. A little more digging, and I found a few PCs that had been built into 360 cases. I also found a host of other mods that had me drooling, but that's a whole other story. Anyway, I thought, why not build my brother a PC in the Xbox shell, since he doesn't have a PC of his own, and the coolness factor alone would make him giggle like a little girl?

So, since Stonerboy is too perceptive for his own good ;) and has outted me, exposing my diabolical plans to the world, let's just open this up to a chat. Tell me what you think - suggestions, thoughts, specs, comments, etc.

Nice after posting I actually thought to.myself it might be both.

Now in regards to watecooling the xbox there are plenty of kits going around and I do beleive frozencpu stocks one (although they may also only be stocking the upgraded, thermaltake I beleive, air cooling solution).

Cases well I like some of the fractal cases they are very clean but by no means showy like the alienware case. I am sure you'll get more than a few suggestions shortly.

Back to the 360 shell tho. Anything you get for it will not be able to take a pci card (unless you go for a very serious bit of modding and use a flexible ribbon adapter from the pci slot).

My suggestion instead of a pc for your brother is instead jow the xbox shell into a htpc if you dont audrey have one. There are plenty of small form factor mobos with inbuilt apus ect that would perform perfectly.

Would the htpc idea be a possibility? Because I am sure your brother would love to be able to get some more out of a pc. Granted the brgging rights are nice

well i just measured the board for you. its 11x9 and it does not fit into a ATX as the normal holes do not match. the original xbox did. i had fun putting that into a pc case.

Edited by hornybluecow

Putting the Xbox inside anything else can be a bit more challenging than you think. I was trying too figure out how to put my PS3 inside an old case I have, and the problem I kept coming up with where that all the wires were too short. I do not mean to discourage you, but you may want to take another look at what you are dealing with before you dive right in.