HELP! Computer not working

My motherboard (Asus P8Z68-V Pro) was not posting. The CPU led was red and the power button was red. The fans for the heatsink were working until I removed the CMOS chip. I removed the CMOS because the computer would not POST. Now nothing works. When the power is on for the power supply the motherboard only shows the red led for power and the cpu led no longer lights up. What is the problem?

I had a 600W corsair and i5 cpu. I know for a fact that the it is not a bad psu because it was working before i pulled it from my old rig and is still working when i placed it back in. I suspect the CMOS chip but not too sure.

until I removed the CMOS chip.

Well, if you actually removed the CMOS chip, you probably destroyed the motherboard. I'm guessing you didn't remove the chip though.

To CLEAR the CMOS, unplug the PSU, remove the battery, move the jumper and wait about a minute. Reverse this then go into the BIOS and load optimized defaults, save and exit.

Well, if you actually removed the CMOS chip, you probably destroyed the motherboard. I'm guessing you didn't remove the chip though.

I think he meant the bios chip, some Asus mobo's have bios chips that can be pulled out, seen them on the rog series, not sure about his mobo though

Yes the V Pro has a removable bios chip.. But I don't see any reason to plug it out since it basically just holds the bios..

Try moving the TPU/EPU switch to whatever option isn't selected and see if it would POST. Also, is there any beep when it won't POST?

But first do what RJR said, move the jumper and turn on your computer for half a minute or so and then revert the jumper.. This should clear bios settings to default.

Edited by vandreadstriker

The board will not boot at all without a BIOS chip installed................................

Other than that follow the CMOS clear instructions provided by RJR.

Why do you think the BIOS chip is fried or corrupted? What did you do?

Did the board ever post to begin with? i.e. when your parts were brand new out of the box?

OMG, how things change so fast.

SORRY OP, yes you do have a removable BIOS chip so you shouldn't have damaged anything by removing it. :biggrin:

It looks like you still have a jumper, so I would still try Clearing the CMOS the old fashioned way and load optimized defaults in the BIOS just to make sure.