Diving into WC with Ek kit, couple questions still

Audiophyle

Setup is in my sig, but I am planning to replace the Coolit system & add in GPU cooling.

I recently picked up a 4870x2 & a DD water block, and cannot wait to get this card's temps under control. (its a hot mofo)

The kit I am looking at is the Ek H30 Sup LT 360

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14543/ex-wat-184/Ek_H30_Supreme_LT_360_Advanced_Liquid_Cooling_Kit_EK-KIT_H3O_-_Supreme_LT_360_EN.html

I wanted to get into a good starter setup that I could add in a GPU loop to.

My main concern is if the one 360mm radiator will be enough for cooling the 4870x2 & Phenom x6, mostly because the GPU runs hot as hell with stock air cooler.

CPU temps are easily kept under 100f under extensive load, and peaked at 104F running Prime95 for 3 days straight. GPU while gaming nears 200f quickly unless I crank the fan speed to ear splitting levels, and its very annoying. So will the 360mm rad be sufficient to cool both GPU & CPU? Or should I look into adding a second rad?

Next question is component orientation within the loop. I figured it would go something like this

Res --> Pump --> CPU --> GPU --> Rad --> Res

I would rather have the 100f water hit the GPU vs 200f water hit the CPU, but either case still involves pushing already heated water into another component.

Another idea I had was possibly like this

Res --> Pump --> GPU --> Rad --> CPU --> Res

I though perhaps this layout would give the GPU cool water so output temps would be better, then the rad would cool that down so the CPU would also get cool water. With the CPU putting out less heat & getting cool water input, its output temps could be low enough for the res to disperse heat & cool a little before it gets pumped back into the GPU.

I keep thinking I need to throw in a second rad, and if I do Id opt for the 240mm Ek kit instead of 360mm. Then I would run a setup like this

Res --> Pump --> CPU --> 120mm Rad --> GPU --> 240mm Rad --> Res

Thoughts? The 120mm with the Eco Coolit does a great job with my CPU now, but having a second Rad does further complicate and add lines to the system where I'd prefer to stick with the KISS approach.

& lastly, is there anything I may have overlooked? Or feedback/experience from others with an Ek kit?

You will be fine. Just order extra tubing and clamps when you order everything. The 360 Rad will handle everything just fine and run the loop order. Res pump CPU gpu radiator. And if the water gets to 200f make sure you have the fans moving the right way... LOL. The highest I have ever seen is 130f and that is pushing it a lot.

Tubing is cheap. Always buy more then needed because you never know when you upgrade a part and the old hose just wont reach.

It would cost way more to order it later with shipping and tax, Plus the down time you have to wait. :down:

• 1 year later...