ASUS Radeon HD 6970 DCII - A good upgade?

Universe

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU. I've been eying the ASUS Radeon HD 6970 DCII for a while now and am wondering if this card is worth the upgrade. With the 7000 series now coming out at over $600 CAD the ASUS 6970 is at about $350 CAD, so close to half the price of the new generation.

Currently I'm running a single Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 but its starting to show its age slightly. The games that I've been running with the card at maximum setting without problems are Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR, and Shogun 2. I may get into The Old Republic when I have time. Overall those games at default maximum are no problem for the 5870 to handle, the only time I notice a decrease in performance is when I go to play Skyrim with HD textures or when I start upping the ini file values. Basically I'd like a card that can last another few years before I have to consider an upgrade again.

So is the ASUS 6970 DCII a good upgrade to consider?

Notes:

I don't play FPSs (Battlefield, etc...).

considering you are running a 5870 now, i would wait till the 7950 or 7870 come out.

the 7950 is meant to be around 400 bucks, and have much more performance than the 6970

the 7870 is meant to be cheaper than the 6970 with similar performance

I've got a 5870 too, and I'm gonna wait a while myself. I have a little trouble with Skyrim and Deus Ex as well, but reducing AA a little has kept everything smooth for me so far.

I'm interested to see if the 7970 will drop in price once the geforce 7xx series is released (and how it compares to the top 7xx card too).

If your performance is great now, why do you feel the need to upgrade? If you always upgrade the second you lose that just bit of an edge you want you'll be in a constant upgrade cycle.

If you do upgrade anyway, I agree with the people above and say get the 7 series (7950/7970) because at least it is a couple generations ahead of your current GPU and provides a significant enough jump in performance to justify spending your hard earned money.