Tjj226's Stuff For Sale

Tjj226_Angel

I think if you include the key you'll be fine (as I read the rules anyway - you don't have a disc to sell but as long as you include the license it seems okay)...it's just slightly more complicated to reinstall in the future.

I am not the authority though. :P Hopefully Boinker can clarify.

Edited by Waco

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tj, here is the short and skinny. This is a potentially gray area but how I handle similar situations (say when a customer has a computer with Windows installed, but a major component failure has left the existing OS installation inoperable).

As long as the original PC - laptop or desktop - has a COA sticker and valid activation code.........................

I replace the defective piece of hardware and install the same version of Windows that was originally on the machine. I use the valid activation code to register the fresh copy of Windows that I installed on the PC. In rare cases (like major component replacements on Windows 7 machines) the automated activation through the OS doesn't work. In that case, I call the Windows automated activation service and follow the steps as prompted. With Windows 7 I've never had to use the "real" person option - however with Windows XP I have had to deal with a real person on occasion.

The most important aspect of this whole procedure is that the copy of Windows you're installing is ONLY running on a single machine. And, by that I mean one PC and one PC only. If you follow those simple steps you shouldn't ever have to worry about the Microsoft police shutting down your OS - which they can do by the way.

In your situation, I think you're safe to sell the drive and include the valid activation key. As long as you aren't using that activation key for any other installation of Windows. Otherwise MS will eventually detect that exact installation of Windows operating with two or more hardware configurations and routinely connecting with different IP addresses. The hardware configuration is the key. On Windows 7 I'm convinced that Microsoft uses the WEI as one method to backdoor your exact hardware configuration.

7. Software Rules:

A. We have a zero tolerance for pirated software. In the event that you sell pirated software on our site, all identifiably and personal information about you WILL be immediately turned over to the authorities.

B. You may NOT sell or trade academic or NFR (Not for Resale) software.

C. ALL OEM software must be sold/traded with a piece of hardware as per the OEM software TOS states.

D. You may NOT sell or trade beta accounts, game accounts, game characters, or any other type of entity that you do not physically own.

E. You may NOT sell or trade CD Keys without the original disks or CD(s).

Sorry Tj226_angle. Can only Trade ,within the bounds, on OCC as the rules are stated.

regards,

Boinker.

ill submit it to the other mods and see what becomes

But part E is pretty clear. Now the fact that it is ther OEM i will have to check on.

Very true about E, it just sucks that with laptops and prebuilts you just dont get original CDd and something else I am noticing now, a lot of the time even recovery discs are being excluded.

This is why it is often better to build your own computer.

Well more than a few people myself included find great use from things like laptops and tablets. How would you propose building your own?

If this all works out I am potentially interested in the licence.

I have heard that there are places to buy parts to build your own laptop. But you are really limited by what they have.

xoticpc.com is one of them.

Really the hardest things to find are case motherboard and GPU. You'll usually end up having to use a barebones kit for these three parts. Although, the barebones kits aren't much easier to find. :(

As for everything else, you can get it from a ton of places. Newegg even sells some of the necessary components.