Just great. SSD just died.

Waco

I'm going to go with really bad luck and first-generation drives. Were any of the ones you used the original Indilinx Barefoot drives? Mine are both the older 3x nm flash which is supposed to be pretty durable. Last I checked I had only burned through, on average, 1000 write cycles throughout the drive. A huge chunk of the spare area was still available as well.

I especially don't think it's the RAID since my first drive died having never been in a RAID array. :lol:

I am telling you PermiumAcc, that the first drive died when it wasn't in RAID.

The SMART values for the drive in question were all well in the green when I checked them last week. The firmware I'm using also supports garbage collection which helps negate the performance loss from the lack of TRIM. No SSD is going to die in a year simply because it doesn't have TRIM...especially not first generation Indinlinx drives. :P

Further background - I had the write cache enabled on the RAID controller to merge write operations. My temporary files, pagefile, and logs were all written to a secondary array of HDDs.

:lol: Then you must have had some faulty drives. Hopefully Corsair will do something for you.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually amazingly I only have a shot from 2007. :lol:

P1010012.jpg

The drivers have since been upgraded to Elemental Designs 13Ov.2s. The preamp and amp are Halfer DH-100 and DH-220, respectively. The box is 8 cubic feet tuned to approximately 20 Hz...so it digs deep.

DAAAAMN.... :popcorn:

Actually amazingly I only have a shot from 2007. :lol:

P1010012.jpg

The drivers have since been upgraded to Elemental Designs 13Ov.2s. The preamp and amp are Halfer DH-100 and DH-220, respectively. The box is 8 cubic feet tuned to approximately 20 Hz...so it digs deep.

:whoa:

Dude, where do you live because I want to visit? Also, what do you have as a source for that? I've got some SACD's and a player, and I'd bring them if I ever met your subwoofer. Yes, that's how it would work if you were ever insane enough to let me near you; you would open the door and I would just go straight to that sound system. After that I'd go to the computers. You'd probably be the last thing I'd meet actually :lol:

Oh, and back to the topic, sounds like the controller went bad, or some other similar chip. Funny thing about SSDs compared to HDDs; wearing out flash impacts its write ability, not its read, so a worn out SSD should still be readable. Wear out an HDD and you've got coasters and fun magnets. Anyway, based on this and my enough-for-the-Internet (EFTI; that exist yet? I'm probably only a little better than our grandmothers with these things) experience, my guess is it wasn't the RAID that did it but something truly anomalous. I would expect the RAID to increase the wear on the memory, but not necessarily the other chips. Definitely contact Corsair; it's worth a shot and doesn't cost much to send an email. Hey! Maybe you can ask Panda to talk to a Corsair rep at CES. No clue if that could be as productive as an email, but could be a funny story.

It's late, I'd better stop rambling before I prove myself to be an idiot. Suspicion of that is fine, but proof isn't.

Sorry for your loss Waco and may I say nice to find someone on here that's into speaker building.

However only 20hz sure you couldn't tune them lower? Haha :P

What legs and sound deadening you got on that beast?also asuming you built those towers...

Nice to see I am not the only one that will go to car audio for the home theater :D