Downloading speeds limited

DrDigitized2

1701362861.png

My download speed from my ISP is 4mbps but at best I download at 600kbps. My question is, Am I being limited by the old computer I am using. Its about 5 years old. I had the same problem on my last computer that was 6 years old. I am going to be building a computer in a month and was wondering if I would see better speeds.

My other thought was am I being limited by the sites I am downloading from, ie Steam. I even had this problem when I would file share. Dont do that anymore though. But if that were true why would they all be set to the same max?

Also I have tried to find the answer in the forums but I am not the best at locating things like this. Has anyone thought of setting up a FAQ on networking?

I think you might be a little confused by the abbreviations being used there. What you're actually seeing from speedtest is in bits and what you describe in your text is bytes. 4megabits converts to about 512kilobytes, so your speeds match up fine.

Actually guys, it's even lower than 512kb. A rule of thumb is to divide the megabit by 10 to get the actual speed. This takes into account parity and package headers/trailers.

:pfp:

4 Mbps in KB/s is : (4 * 1024) / 8 = 512 KB/s

If he's seeing 600 KB/s then he's golden.

:pfp:

4 Mbps in KB/s is : (4 * 1024) / 8 = 512 KB/s

If he's seeing 600 KB/s then he's golden.

+1, even though my rated speeds are supposed to be 50Mb D/L. I get mostly near 60Mb/s.

60Mb/s = 1024*60 = 61440 / 8 = 7.68MB/s DL

1701499513.png

Edited by MJCRO

When I signed up for the service they told me that I would get 4 megabytes per second. Thats the words they used not me. So when I see that I am only getting 600KB/s I think that I am being cheated. Maybe the girl behind the counter does not know the difference between bits and bytes.

Must be my mistake for thinking that I could transfer data at 4 megabytes per second.

Btw. I am from San Diego CA, Born and raised. I only moved to Kansas becouse I am buying a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath 1 car detached garage 1400sq ft home that needs a little tlc for, wait for it, wait for it,

$20,000.

When I signed up for the service they told me that I would get 4 megabytes per second. Thats the words they used not me. So when I see that I am only getting 600KB/s I think that I am being cheated. Maybe the girl behind the counter does not know the difference between bits and bytes.

Must be my mistake for thinking that I could transfer data at 4 megabytes per second.

Btw. I am from San Diego CA, Born and raised. I only moved to Kansas becouse I am buying a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath 1 car detached garage 1400sq ft home that needs a little tlc for, wait for it, wait for it,

$20,000.

For 1400SQFT? That's not bad at all, property tax must be dirt cheap too. In lower NY, Suffolk or Westchester counties, forget about it, $15k - $30k per year just live there.

Property tax is $350 a year. My 16 yr old jeep and 11 year old truck cost more to register then the property tax. Thats both together. I miss San Diego but who has $1500 a month for rent in a bad neighborhood. What I miss more then anything is the food. I love mexican food. The so called mexican food here taste like the ground beef came out of a can.