1. 1. Which tv do you think is better?

• Plasma
    • LED

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LCDs are CFL backlit... So ya can't call em LCDs either :lol: Whenever I go to electronic stores the Plasmas look better... Though the connections they use for all TVs except flashy new ones is HD composite...

Really? The last Plasma I bought almost a year and a half ago had 3 HDMI inputs.

It all depends on the situation.

I live in Florida and my living room get a lot of light, even with the blinds closed and the porch door curtains drawn. I can't deal with the glare of a glass front Plasma, and when its 100* outside I don't need another heat source in my living room...so in my case, I prefer having an LCD(/"LED").

If I had a theater room setup in a basement or something or lived somewhere that wasn't hot and sunny 11 months out of 12, then a nice high end plasma would surely be my choice.

As the poll is currently setup I voted Plasma. Though my real answer is an IPS LCD panel ...but mostly because I live in a high elevation area. Plasmas don't do too well in high elevation areas. I've heard from a couple people who tried anyway because they didn't believe and had horrible luck. Many are rated for an elevation up to 6500 - 8000, but in reality it's a gamble above a mile high elevation. Plasma TVs just don't last as long here and the burn in is a little more pronounced which makes it horrible for gaming since there are static images on almost every game. Even watching TV is annoying since most stations brand their broadcast and sports have the score up all the time.

A good IPS LCD (I don't like LED personally - colors are washed out to me) is amazing. You can get pretty close to the same black level ratings and even beat Plasma on color reproduction ...but sadly LED has taken over and you really can't find a good quality LCD anymore.

CFL backlighting is actually better in terms of image quality when it comes to LCDs. They produce truer whites by a pretty noticeable margin. Even lighting is a problem for the edge-lit LED displays. The LED displays with local dimming can have some GREAT black levels but they don't always produce a true to source image (since the algorithms for which parts of the screen light up can't cover every possible source image).

Plasmas are king if you can deal with the heat, weight, and reflectiveness. If you don't have a way to do that, a CFL lit LCD is the next best in terms of picture quality, at least until OLED displays are on the market. IIRC response times are a bit of an issue on them though...

Now, ask me about LCD versus DLP ;)

I bought an LED backlit DLP a few years back and it's been great. 50" Samsung has a lot of inputs and lots of controls for the picture. Even gaming on it is good! It's about 12" wide so it's not as thin, but that's fine, it's in a large room. Besides, unless you hang them on the wall, the stands are atleast this wide any way.

The only things I hated about my Samsung DLP were the viewing angles, the black levels, the sharpness, the inability to do a 1-to-1 source pixel to display pixel ratio, the color reproduction, and the color rainbowing/blurring (from the color wheel).

Can you tell I hated my DLP? :lol: At least it was super cheap at the time ($600 for a 50").

Plasma all the way. In reality though it all depends on your price point. I have seen some crystal clear 24'' LED tvs for 400 bucks and some crappy plasmas for 600 bucks and vice versa. It all depends on what is available and on sale when you want to buy your screen.

The best thing to do is to go to best buy and actually look at the screens. We can sit here all day and debate the finner points of screens, but it is all going to come down to personal preferences and you wont have preferences until you actually get a plasma and a LED tv right in front of you to make up your mind. Just to make sure you understand, Best buy is for looking, Newegg is for buying :biggrin: