Plasma vs LED

NikoDG

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which tv do you think is better?

• Plasma
    • LED

I just wanna see how many prefer one tv over the other.

Personally I'm a big plasma fan, because as I see it if all you care about is having the best picture plasma is definitely the way to go. Plasmas have better response times, better black levels, better contrast ratios, their picture in my opinion is far superior. Their only drawbacks are their increased power consumption (compared to LED's), the possibilty of burn-in (though most new plasmas are very well protected against it), and their slightly thicker and heavier panels.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the price was the same, I'd probably go with a plasma TV, but plasma's are usually more expensive. One of the reasons that plasmas are going away is that they aren't as bright, and subsequently don't look as good in the bright store lights.

My dad though is a huge plasma fan. He's got a 50" Pioneer Elite and even now you aren't going to find a better picture for less than 5 figures anywhere besides CES.

By the way you mean LCD, not LED. LED's are just the backlight, and the OLED TV's aren't really available yet.

Edited by TheHippi

If the price was the same, I'd probably go with a plasma TV, but plasma's are usually more expensive. One of the reasons that plasmas are going away is that they aren't as bright, and subsequently don't look as good in the bright store lights.

My dad though is a huge plasma fan. He's got a 50" Pioneer Elite and even now you aren't going to find a better picture for less than 5 figures anywhere besides CES.

By the way you mean LCD, not LED. LED's are just the backlight, and the OLED TV's aren't really available yet.

Plasmas tend to be cheaper actually, you could get a plasma for much less than a comparable LED. The Samsung 8000 64" 3D Plasma for instance is approximately $3800, while the Samsung 8000 65" 3D LED is $5400. Then there is the LG PZ550 60" 3D Plasma for $2,200, while a smaller LG LW6500 "55 3D LED costs $2,700.

Plasmas might not get quite as bright as LED's but they are still more than bright enough, especially once you move them from a heavily lighted store to your house which will likely be nowhere near as bright.

Also, I know they are just LED backlights, but "Plasma vs LED" sounds better than "Plasma vs LCD with an LED backlight" :lol:

Edited by NikoDG

IBy the way you mean LCD, not LED. LED's are just the backlight, and the OLED TV's aren't really available yet.

I had this same discussion with locutus a while back, long story short, I broke his heart. :lol:

Anyway, I don't really have a preference I suppose, but if I had to pick one, I would go with LCD. Picture quality isn't a big deal to me. Things that matter to me when looking at a TV or monitor: inputs and outputs, size, resolution, and price. The reason picture quality isn't that important to me is because we really are at the point where just about any TV you buy is going to look fine, you aren't going to have any real issues with it like fuzziness/grain. I'm simply not picky about these things either though, a lot of that probably has to do with the price though, I mean if I was a millionaire... sure, I'd go ahead and get more picky about it.

Plasma all the way. LED's have back-light issues, because the majority of them are side LED lit. LED TV's also have far more input lag than a plasma not making them ideal for gaming. Plasma can achieve a far for accurate representation of movies than LED's thanks to superior color and motion reproduction, also they can get plenty bright. If your buying for a sports bar, where the majority don't give a crap about the type of TV, or your Hawaiian vacation spot (lots of sun) get LED. Otherwise you'll be missing out.

Plasma fan all the way. Sporting a Panasonic 65" GT30 as of now and would never go back to LED or LCD. Never. Until OLED's.

For everyone who thinks an LED is cheaper than a comparable Plasma you are so wrong it's not even funny. If you compare a plasma to a non-LED backlit LCD, then the LCD wins pricewise, but LCD's are so outdated and inferior I wouldn't even go there, just saying :lol:

Also, Wardozer, LED's might not have burn-in, but the highest refresh rate you can get out of an LED is 240Hz (not even a true 240Hz mind you) where have the frames are "artificial frames" which I'm sure some people don't mind, but personally I think they look like garbage. For me that is a much greater con. I mean I wouldn't even consider burn-in a con nowadays as most plasma have built in countermeasures, and most people are smart enough not to leave their tv on when no one is using it ;)

Plus, plasmas are getting much thinner, the Samsung 7000 64" 3D Plasma is only 1.5" thick, if tv's get any thinner they'll break if someone blows on them :rofl:

Edited by NikoDG

To the above "Plasma is cheaper" comment, you are most assuredly talking about lower resolution models that are generally 1 - 3 year old models on clearance.

Plasmas are cheaper.

I paid $1500 shipped for my 60" LG 1080p almost 2 years ago and it wasn't an old model nor is it a 720p set.

Its a TV. I don't care that it weighs 130 pounds. I don't live in Hawaii (not that I run my TVs on torch mode anyway). Picture quality is what matters and plasma is king.

Edited by Waco

Plasmas are cheaper.

I paid $1500 shipped for my 60" LG 1080p almost 2 years ago and it wasn't an old model nor is it a 720p set.

Thank you Waco, haha :)

How are the LG plasmas by the way?

I had a Panasonic and the plasma panel broke just out of warranty so now I'm in the market for a new one. Thinking probably a 59" (or 64" if I wanna spoil myself) Samsung 7000 plasma.

Edited by NikoDG