$1600 build

scr4wl

I think he wants the speed of the raid 0 SSDs for processing in photoshop but I could be mistaken.

Well that's just silly. I have yet to see any benchmark/article claiming raid 0 SSDs are good for standard use. Photoshop is indeed a picky beast, but I seriously doubt that would even be remotely worth the cost. Well I like your list, but if he needs to cut the cost down some...

- Corsair TX650 - $80 after $10mir

While I really like the PSU you picked, his build really doesn't need a 910W psu.

That gives extra $50 to play with. He could also go with a standard 2600 since he won't be OCing for another $20 savings. Then go with a OCZ Vertex 3 60GB for $75 assuming he is good with MIRs ...personally I hate MIRs and on principal don't factor them. If he is the same way, than I would say the extra money is worth it to ramp to 120GB and to forget about the 60GB. Speaking of which I noticed the price on the Corsair Force GTs went up so I would probably go with these to keep the cost around the same area - OCZ Agility 3 ($148 ...or $168 before mir).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say sound cards are "burning money," since there are some that offer far better components than most onboard solutions. If you have the gear for it, an audiophile-grade sound card is a benefit, especially if you get one with an integrated headphone amp that can drive 600ohm headphones. An external amp would work as well, but for convenience, an integrated amp is great.

Now, the RAID card and NICs? Yes, those are burning money. No question there.

Btw, the Bigfoot Killer NICs aren't all wireless. There are wired solutions too, like the Killer 2100. We did review one as well. :P

After reading Head-Fi.org they all use desktop amps for their needs - "PCs generate too much noise for good audio use" is one of the comments I saw. :lol: So a true audiophile doesn't even use a soundcard. :P And honestly comparing what my Beyers generate with an ASUS board and what it generates with a puny little Fiio E11 the little portable amp is a clear winner ...even to these untrained ears.

Raid cards are definitely OBE now.

Same with NICs.

Hey BP you are telling me the soundcards arent a waste :P

Haha I am buying two soon a delta 1010th and a to be decided headphone amp 24bit usb dac.

Never said they are a waste, just saying you sounded like they were. :P

After reading Head-Fi.org they all use desktop amps for their needs - "PCs generate too much noise for good audio use" is one of the comments I saw. :lol: So a true audiophile doesn't even use a soundcard. :P And honestly comparing what my Beyers generate with an ASUS board and what it generates with a puny little Fiio E11 the little portable amp is a clear winner ...even to these untrained ears.

Raid cards are definitely OBE now.

Same with NICs.

Like I said, for convenience a sound card with an integrated amp is a good thing. External amps are great, don't get me wrong, but some of the higher-quality ones can be damn expensive. Still, if you're spending $400+ on headphones, $300+ on an amp probably isn't too much of a jump. :lol:

Btw, taco, see if you can convince your friend to wait for the Corsair Accelerator SSD cache drives to launch. Seems like that would work out better for him, imo.

He doesn't want the SSDs for any particular reason, but hes still currently set on at least two 120gb drives.

The build is becoming slightly more reasonable though.

Well is he ok with two and willing to give up the RAID idea? If so, can come up with something.

And what about the NIC as well, do we still need to factor that in? Guess the question applies to a sound card as well.

Like I said, for convenience a sound card with an integrated amp is a good thing. External amps are great, don't get me wrong, but some of the higher-quality ones can be damn expensive. Still, if you're spending $400+ on headphones, $300+ on an amp probably isn't too much of a jump. :lol:

Jeez if that is all those people spent they would seem sane. Try multiple headphones ranging from $300 - $1000 ...and some $150 ones just to test out with 1 or 2 amps that cost $1000-$2000. Some are a little more reasonable and have $400 amps ...but still have multiple headphones and more than 1 amp. Some of them make Nyt look sane if we are comparing one type of enthusiast to another.

Btw, taco, see if you can convince your friend to wait for the Corsair Accelerator SSD cache drives to launch. Seems like that would work out better for him, imo.

I am guessing that works regardless of a motherboard's chipset.

As of right now the "bigfoot killer and sound card are a must"

This thread and el captain have convinced him to not use a raid card, thank god lol.

I'm still working on the SSD thing. -.-

He's planning on purchasing the parts in two weeks so it will be interesting to see what the final product turns out to be.

Jeez if that is all those people spent they would seem sane. Try multiple headphones ranging from $300 - $1000 ...and some $150 ones just to test out with 1 or 2 amps that cost $1000-$2000. Some are a little more reasonable and have $400 amps ...but still have multiple headphones and more than 1 amp. Some of them make Nyt look sane if we are comparing one type of enthusiast to another.

I am guessing that works regardless of a motherboard's chipset.

For the Corsair SSD cache drive, all they said it needs is Windows 7 or Windows 8 when that launches.

As for the headphones, yes, audiophiles like that are insane. :lol: No question about it. I did have the "+" next to my dollar amounts too, saying they can spend more. :P

Can we explain the musts? Why is the bigfoot a must? What sort of circumstances cause this?

As for soundcards he has to be spending the money on the soundsystem to really make them fully. worthwhile. I love them but I have spent far too much money on sound :-/ what speakers/headphones does he have/is planning to get?

I don't know why the network card is a must. I don't think he knows why it is either. LOL

He wants the sound card because he intends to hook it up to a sound mixer/board. I don't think he even uses speakers. Just headphones.