$1600 build

scr4wl

Well I have three OCZ SSD's, two 60GB, and a 120GB Max IOPS, initially the plan was to use the two 60's in Raid 0 as a boot drive for OS and apps, then the 120 as an SSD cache. But after hearing more about SSD's in Raid, I'm thinking using one 60 for my OS, the other 60 for my SSD cache, then the 120 for all my mist used programs/games.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPU - i7 2600k - $320

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $122

RAM - Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $36 x2 = $72

SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120GB - $150 x3 = $450

Blu-ray Burner - ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner - $70

GPU - MyASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB - $230

Cooling - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit w/ Free Kill Coil! - $130

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 - $50

PSU - PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply - $130 no matter what he should get this (10watts of PC Power and Cooling Silver rated PSU with a "Legendary Silencer Series with 7 Year Warranty " for only $130

HDD - unfortunately I have left myself with what only $40 for his $1600 budget but seriously what is another 5-10% more? If he ditches water cooling for a 212+ or evo he can get another $100 to play with and yes there is no raid card to be seen here however there are three force gt sata 3 120gb SSDs instead

Hope he likes this^^^^

Thank you guys, he just saw the thread and has looosened up a bit.

Here are his responses:

" Absolute no for used hardware, may be consider if it was for reviewing processes only "

" You usually do multi task with adobe though"

" Can we do two 120ssd instead of that 60 for cache?"

" Water is yes for all componets"

These qoutes look weird because they were copy pasted from text messages.

At least the build is becoming slightly more sensible. -.-

Two more things he wants. A sound card (I know absolutely nothing about these) and a bigfoot killer (I have no idea what this is)

Same budget.

But after hearing more about SSD's in Raid, I'm thinking using one 60 for my OS, the other 60 for my SSD cache, then the 120 for all my mist used programs/games.

That's probably the best set-up, though I now prefer having a bigger sized SSD for my OS, and install applications directly on it. Larger sized SSD's are usually faster and last longer. Some applications don't like being installed on anything other than the C: Drive (I think VMware Workstation is one of them).

It's a matter of preference, though. Most of my space is used up by games and videos, so I store them on my SSD cached RAID 1 or RAID 10 array. I usually use the spare SSD for temporary work areas where I know I'll be uninstalling or deleting files after I use them.

Thank you guys, he just saw the thread and has looosened up a bit.

Here are his responses:

" Absolute no for used hardware, may be consider if it was for reviewing processes only "

" You usually do multi task with adobe though"

" Can we do two 120ssd instead of that 60 for cache?"

" Water is yes for all componets"

These qoutes look weird because they were copy pasted from text messages.

At least the build is becoming slightly more sensible. -.-

Two more things he wants. A sound card (I know absolutely nothing about these) and a bigfoot killer (I have no idea what this is)

Same budget.

All I do with my used hardware is bench them to make sure they're stable, and find their optimal overclock. Otherwise, I put them back in their boxes and they wait until they have a new owner.

Even if you used a 120GB SSD for caching, you can only use up 64GB's of it. That means any leftover space will be available as another partition.

There's a lot of sound cards to choose from. I'd probably pick that up last with whatever budget he has left for one. A Bigfoot Killer is just a wireless gaming network card that optimizes your bandwidth. OCC should do a review of one, I've always been curious. :P

All I do with my used hardware is bench them to make sure they're stable, and find their optimal overclock. Otherwise, I put them back in their boxes and they wait until they have a new owner.

Even if you used a 120GB SSD for caching, you can only use up 64GB's of it. That means any leftover space will be available as another partition.

There's a lot of sound cards to choose from. I'd probably pick that up last with whatever budget he has left for one. A Bigfoot Killer is just a wireless gaming network card that optimizes your bandwidth. OCC should do a review of one, I've always been curious. :P

So the Bigfoot Killer is just a glorified wireless Internet adapter?

A Bigfoot Killer is just a wireless gaming network card that optimizes your bandwidth. OCC should do a review of one, I've always been curious. :P

-.- This build is a pain.

Basically he is thinking that mobos are as hoples today as they may have once been which is so not true.

Soundcard - good thing to have over mobo sound 5+ years ago when quality was not as good and it made an actual difference to the CPU performance

RaidController - good for when you don't have onboard raid controller or only sata 2 when you have sata 3 HDD/SSDs not if you have a mobo with sata 3 and raid capability

BigfootKiller - never has been and never will be good imo when wired connection will always beat it for far cheaper

Mobos aren't just a useless POS, used only to connect different things, they have plenty of integrated parts that are perfectly good for most people even enthusiasts.

When you feel the need to buy, sound and raid cards as well as wireless/network cards you are just burning money.

Let me know if your going to be testing the AMD Raideon HD 7950 GPU. Id rather not pay retail unless I have to.

CPU - i7 2600k - $320

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $122

RAM - Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $36 x2 = $72

SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120GB - $150 x3 = $450

Blu-ray Burner - ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner - $70

GPU - MyASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB - $230

Cooling - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit w/ Free Kill Coil! - $130

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 - $50

PSU - PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply - $130 no matter what he should get this (10watts of PC Power and Cooling Silver rated PSU with a "Legendary Silencer Series with 7 Year Warranty " for only $130

HDD - unfortunately I have left myself with what only $40 for his $1600 budget but seriously what is another 5-10% more? If he ditches water cooling for a 212+ or evo he can get another $100 to play with and yes there is no raid card to be seen here however there are three force gt sata 3 120gb SSDs instead

I think that is a good build ...if he cuts out the 3rd SSD than he can more than make the budget. Does he even need more than 360GB?

I think that is a good build ...if he cuts out the 3rd SSD than he can more than make the budget. Does he even need more than 360GB?

I think he wants the speed of the raid 0 SSDs for processing in photoshop but I could be mistaken.

When you feel the need to buy, sound and raid cards as well as wireless/network cards you are just burning money.[/b]

I wouldn't say sound cards are "burning money," since there are some that offer far better components than most onboard solutions. If you have the gear for it, an audiophile-grade sound card is a benefit, especially if you get one with an integrated headphone amp that can drive 600ohm headphones. An external amp would work as well, but for convenience, an integrated amp is great.

Now, the RAID card and NICs? Yes, those are burning money. No question there.

Btw, the Bigfoot Killer NICs aren't all wireless. There are wired solutions too, like the Killer 2100. We did review one as well. :P