$1600 build

scr4wl

Alright so I need your guys help on this one. After three years I've finally been able to convince a friend of mine that desktops are better than laptops.

I've had hours of conversations with him as to what each component does, and what he needs.

After all of these conversations this, as stupid as its about to sound, is what he wants:

Sandy Bridge I7 2600/2600K/2700

GTX 560/GTX 560 TI

32GB SSD for OS

2x 120GB SSD RAID 0 for programs and stuff (SATA III preferred)

1TB HDD for storage

Blue Ray burner

16GB of DDR3 1600

1155 Motherboard with USB3 and SATA 3

Water Cooling for CPU and GPU

Decent RAID Controller

Decent Case

Power Supply to handle it all

His budget is a Firm $1600

I've so far been able to configure a build for $1700, but that's to much. -.-

Now, I'm not looking for recommendations on parts. I've gone down that route with him and he won't be swayed away from this.

It gets dumber... There will be no overclocking with this rig. All parts must be new and include a warranty.

The only thing that you might be able persuade him to downgrade on would be the gpu. It must still be an NVIDIA card though.

He'll be using this rig for ADOBE Premier and light gaming. The card must have HDMI and come with a VGA adapter.

I know this sounds stupid, and I promise I am not trolling. I really do need help on finding matching parts that fit in this budget.

Thank you very much to everyone that helps, and please no recommendations... Man wants what he wants LMAO

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the 32GB SSD be used for SRT or no? It is a bit on the small size for just Windows, especially since the formatted capacity will be less and Windows can take up ~25GB on its own after a while.

Why a raid card?

And why a 32GB OS SSD?

Imho ditch both and get a 3rd 120GB SSD

I have no idea

And I have no idea

Again, I've gone through all this with him. This is what he wants, and is determined to get so I'm looking for help finding the parts that will fit the budget.

If you can find thee 120gb drives that will fit the budget I'm sure he'd happily take that over the 32GB drive, but he will not do without the raid controller.

I'm kind of tempted to just pick up a $15 raid card and tell him it works wirelessly lol.

Sandy Bridge I7 2600/2600K/2700 - He really needs convincing about the benefits of overclocking. The 2600K can get to 4.5GHz easily below 1.35V's and be cooled adequately with a Hyper 212+ in push/pull at those voltages. He also wants watercooling, so why not overclock?

GTX 560/GTX 560 TI - I can hook you up with an ASUS GTX 560 or ASUS GTX 560 Ti TOP card to save you money. I don't know why he would want new, unless he's worried about having to RMA. Serial-based warranty and savings for barely used cards = win/win.

32GB SSD for OS - Too small of a dedicated OS drive, and 32GB SSD's are expensive price per GB.

2x 120GB SSD RAID 0 for programs and stuff (SATA III preferred) - He loses TRIM, gains no speed advantage in real world scenarios, and his array is more likely to fail than if using a single SSD.

1TB HDD for storage - No redundancy for storage? That's just fail.

He really needs a smart set-up. A 120GB SSD Drive for the OS and Applications. Two 1TB HDD's in RAID 1 for storage, with a 64GB SSD dedicated for SRT. If he opens a lot of different folders to view large icons of pictures, then he might want another 64GB or 120GB SSD dedicated as a temporary picture/workplace file location for those pictures until it gets stored in the RAID 1 array.

Blue Ray burner - Is okay

16GB of DDR3 1600 - Is okay

1155 Motherboard with USB3 and SATA 3 - Z68 motherboard (for SRT).

Water Cooling for CPU and GPU - He wants a silent system, I take it? If he's going for a dedicated loop that'll be pretty expensive. You also won't find full cover waterblocks for the GTX 560 / GTX 560 Ti's easily.

Decent RAID Controller - I can hook you up as well, but a decent RAID Controller new usually costs around the $400 mark. What's he going to use it for, his two SSD's in RAID 0? Most RAID controllers won't give any benefits and will actually run slower in RAID 0 than using the motherboard's RAID Controller.

Decent Case - Those are easy enough to find.

Power Supply to handle it all - I could help you there as well, it won't need more than 750W's for future upgradability, but starting off, he could do with a 500W PSU.

Really though, you need to talk some sense into this guy. He's wasting money and has no clue as to what he needs.

Sandy Bridge I7 2600/2600K/2700 - He really needs convincing about the benefits of overclocking. The 2600K can get to 4.5GHz easily below 1.35V's and be cooled adequately with a Hyper 212+ in push/pull at those voltages. He also wants watercooling, so why not overclock?

GTX 560/GTX 560 TI - I can hook you up with an ASUS GTX 560 or ASUS GTX 560 Ti TOP card to save you money. I don't know why he would want new, unless he's worried about having to RMA. Serial-based warranty and savings for barely used cards = win/win.

32GB SSD for OS - Too small of a dedicated OS drive, and 32GB SSD's are expensive price per GB.

2x 120GB SSD RAID 0 for programs and stuff (SATA III preferred) - He loses TRIM, gains no speed advantage in real world scenarios, and his array is more likely to fail than if using a single SSD.

1TB HDD for storage - No redundancy for storage? That's just fail.

He really needs a smart set-up. A 120GB SSD Drive for the OS and Applications. Two 1TB HDD's in RAID 1 for storage, with a 64GB SSD dedicated for SRT.

Blue Ray burner - Is okay

16GB of DDR3 1600 - Is okay

1155 Motherboard with USB3 and SATA 3 - Z68 motherboard (for SRT).

Water Cooling for CPU and GPU - He wants a silent system, I take it? If he's going for a dedicated loop that'll be pretty expensive. You also won't find full cover waterblocks for the GTX 560 / GTX 560 Ti's easily.

Decent RAID Controller - I can hook you up as well, but a decent RAID Controller new usually costs around the $400 mark. What's he going to use it for, his two SSD's in RAID 0? Most RAID controllers won't give any benefits and will actually run slower in RAID 0 than using the motherboard's RAID Controller.

Decent Case - Those are easy enough to find.

Power Supply to handle it all - I could help you there as well, it won't need more than 750W's for future upgradability, but starting off, he could do with a 500W PSU.

Really though, you need to talk some sense into this guy. He's wasting money and has no clue as to what he needs.

Sorry to qoute the entire post (on my phone)

As for talking sense, I've tried, I really have lol.

He wants the I7 because he's convinced that ADOBE products benefit from hyperthreadinf enough for him to need one.

He wants the 32GB SSD for the OS because i made the mistake of telling him that you can edit the registry to have programs default install on another drive.

He wants the water cooling because it looks cool. He doesn't care about noise.

He wants the RAID controller because he isn't convinced that the onboard controllers will kill his drives. And he doesn't care about trim. -.-

I know this is a completely stupid build. I've spent weeks trying to convince him that this isn't what he wants. I might link him to this thread though. Maybe that will help. :)

@capitan I'll find send you a PM if I can convince him to use some used hardware. :)

Force him to come register on OCC so he can listen to everyone tell him he is as good as burning money.

Edit: I bet he is also one of those people that spend $100+ a year on antivirus programs with features he cant/doesnt know how to use or doesnt even know exist.

Edited by Stonerboy779

Sorry to qoute the entire post (on my phone)

As for talking sense, I've tried, I really have lol.

He wants the I7 because he's convinced that ADOBE products benefit from hyperthreadinf enough for him to need one.

He wants the 32GB SSD for the OS because i made the mistake of telling him that you can edit the registry to have programs default install on another drive.

He wants the water cooling because it looks cool. He doesn't care about noise.

He wants the RAID controller because he isn't convinced that the onboard controllers will kill his drives. And he doesn't care about trim. -.-

I know this is a completely stupid build. I've spent weeks trying to convince him that this isn't what he wants. I might link him to this thread though. Maybe that will help. :)

@capitan I'll find send you a PM if I can convince him to use some used hardware. :)

It's ok, I have to go through this with a few people sometimes as well.

Hyperthreading is useful, but realistically, unless you work fast and multi-task, you don't need the slight beneficial speed boost of Hyperthreading. You'll have to apologize to him about the 32GB SSD, lol. SSD's also don't perform as well when nearly full, and smaller sized SSD's = shorter life.

I could definitely help out on the watercooling, but GPU only cooling on a GTX 560 or GTX 560 Ti needs more modding to place an 80mm fan on the PCB, However, if you've got a good airflow case (like a 200mm side fan), then you don't really need one if you're not going to overclock it with added voltages (and ASUS usually has a heatsink on their VRM's).

RAID controllers, especially for RAID 0, aren't usually supported very well, and will be slower than the motherboard controller (I can get into more details some other time). He'll care about TRIM when his SSD's start becoming slower than his HDD's...

I definitely think you should have him see this thread, many of his choices will be echoed as not optimal.

I have a question, while you guys are on the subject of SSD's, would a 60GB be sufficient for a boot drive if only the OS was installed to it and absolutely nothing else?

Yeah, 60GB for an OS drive is more than fine. You can install quite a few things other than an OS with 60GB's.