Hard Drive Prices - WAT?

tkrow21

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks to be in the market for a new drive right now, but it's a perfect time to sell my 6xWD 640GB drives and Perc-6 card RAID setup. (I was going to build a very fast RAID6 file/DLNa server, but my wife has been out of work for 6 weeks, so that plan has been cancelled.)

I did read somewhere that production may be back to normal by November 2012. This must be working out very well for SSD manufacturers - now that the price difference is far less than before the floods.

Okay, November was very pessimistic, but according to WD inventory and prices are not expected to return to normal until "the March quarter and beyond".

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-20124788/thai-floods-expect-months-of-hard-drive-shortages/

Yeah this is starting to piss me off. Reports are coming in saying that WD has only profited from the disaster. When I say profited I mean the money that people have been spending extra has payed for the damage of the factory, payed for new employees and some benefits to those who still work there, has payed for any replaced goods, and a new Maserati for the CEO. Now they are just taking advantage of the consumers. Either hard drive companies need to cut the crap, or OCZ, patriot, and other SSD companies need to really lower their prices and force the SSD revolution. What ever happens, it needs to be good for the consumers and it needs to happen a month ago.

Yeah this is starting to piss me off. Reports are coming in saying that WD has only profited from the disaster. When I say profited I mean the money that people have been spending extra has payed for the damage of the factory, payed for new employees and some benefits to those who still work there, has payed for any replaced goods, and a new Maserati for the CEO. Now they are just taking advantage of the consumers. Either hard drive companies need to cut the crap, or OCZ, patriot, and other SSD companies need to really lower their prices and force the SSD revolution. What ever happens, it needs to be good for the consumers and it needs to happen a month ago.

If people continue to buy the drives for these increased prices of course the manufacturers earn money from that, but as you say they definitely need it right now, otherwise there will not be any new drives ever...

Someone has to pay and the comapnies don't ahve large margins on the drives so we would have had to wait a lot longer if they couldn't increse the prices temporarily...

Sources please.

Yay for BS from the Internet! Source or gtfo. :P

Edited by Waco

Momentary source: I am heading out the door in a couple of minutes and this window was open so it was the quickest thing I can get to.

What the manufacturers do — and don’t — say

Seagate came out with both formal and informal statements about disruptions to its manufacturing operations before the floods hit the Bang Pa-in facilities. In short, Seagate expected disruptions to its component-parts supply, but the company is moving full-tilt boogie (that’s a financial term) to get as many hard drives out as possible. Given the numbers shown in Figure 1, Seagate’s profit margins are considerably better than they were a month ago, according to a Wall Street Journal story.

Link to website http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/what-you-can-do-about-soaring-hard-drive-prices/

Also, if you look at some of these companies stock, you will see that the stock is back to or above the normal price. Seagate is at 52 week high. Symbol is STX. Western digital is back to normal as well.

I do not want to go into the other hard drive companies because the rest all make too many other products to be indicative of the market, and for some reason Hitachi is sold on a private market.

If you start following the money trail, something doesn't smell right to say the least. I mean 52 week high? And your company is struggling so it has to ask the consumer to for out the extra money?

Momentary source: I am heading out the door in a couple of minutes and this window was open so it was the quickest thing I can get to.

What the manufacturers do — and don’t — say

Seagate came out with both formal and informal statements about disruptions to its manufacturing operations before the floods hit the Bang Pa-in facilities. In short, Seagate expected disruptions to its component-parts supply, but the company is moving full-tilt boogie (that’s a financial term) to get as many hard drives out as possible. Given the numbers shown in Figure 1, Seagate’s profit margins are considerably better than they were a month ago, according to a Wall Street Journal story.

Link to website http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/what-you-can-do-about-soaring-hard-drive-prices/

Also, if you look at some of these companies stock, you will see that the stock is back to or above the normal price. Seagate is at 52 week high. Symbol is STX. Western digital is back to normal as well.

I do not want to go into the other hard drive companies because the rest all make too many other products to be indicative of the market, and for some reason Hitachi is sold on a private market.

If you start following the money trail, something doesn't smell right to say the least. I mean 52 week high? And your company is struggling so it has to ask the consumer to for out the extra money?

I'm confused here. You're mad because a company, designed to make money, is making money? Supply and demand is the reason prices skyrocketed. If that bothers you, I suggest you take a class in economics or something so it makes sense.

Your source that you posted didn't address these specific accusations. It simply gave background info on what happened and that some of the companies have experienced an increase in stock price. The Maserati claim is obviously the one I'm most interested in.

I'm confused here. You're mad because a company, designed to make money, is making money? Supply and demand is the reason prices skyrocketed. If that bothers you, I suggest you take a class in economics or something so it makes sense.

For profit companies want to make money? I'm offended!

Your source that you posted didn't address these specific accusations. It simply gave background info on what happened and that some of the companies have experienced an increase in stock price. The Maserati claim is obviously the one I'm most interested in.

I never expected to see a source for that. :lol: