Top Tier Cooler for Midrange $$

lol. yeah I read it right... I guess after reading all the reviews I SOMEHOW remembered D14, instead of macho/ts140..

But my point still stands.. the macho uses thermalrights amazing 140mm fan that's not even close to the A70s dual 120s.. it may be 1C difference in temps but that's with the A70 on high.. and that's even debatable.

LOL! I was just trying to be informative without being insulting. just in case you didn't know alberta was west.. You never know.. :cheers:

(posting this would have been funny though... ----> :doh::mfp::pfp: LOL! but im not mean.

This has me intrigued http://www.funkykit.com/component/content/article/8636-review-antec-kuhler-h2o-620-cpu-cooler.html?start=3

He has a 2600K.. the temps are "above ambient" Temps between a 2600K and a 2500K can't be too much. I'm gonna do the 4.3Ghz @ 1.35V and do prime to see what I get. :repost::thumbsup::lol:

:lol: Don't worry, I wasn't offended. And I didn't think that your statement was intended to offend me.

What was your point again? That the Macho is better than the A70? The difference between the A70, Macho, TS 140, and Kuhler 620 is so small (~1C) while OC'd and under load that it is negligible. I would just get whichever is cheaper, however, if you are determined to get the Kuhler 620 then that is fine too because its performance is similar to that of the other coolers we have suggested.

Edited by PremiumAcc

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Don't worry, I wasn't offended. And I didn't think that your statement was intended to offend me.

What was your point again? That the Macho is better than the A70? The difference between the A70, Macho, TS 140, and Kuhler 620 is so small (~1C) while OC'd and under load that it is negligible. I would just get whichever is cheaper, however, if you are determined to get the Kuhler 620 then that is fine too because its performance is similar to that of the other coolers we have suggested.

Yes. It seems like all of the coolers are very similar in performance. I'm looking for the one that generates less noise. As I said, if the A70 can get those temps at 51db then and my current 212+ is only 5-7C worse at 38db then it may not be a matter of HS performance but just fan cfm. I don't want to buy a $40 cooler and find out I simply bought better fans.. If the 620 has the same performance but with a db level of 34 then I know I'm getting a better cooler not just higher cfm fans.

I'm not determined to get the Kuhler, I just don't see a better alternative. The Macho and TS 140 are great, both are a bit better than the 620 and A70 and both are quieter AND both can have dual fan configs to increase performance even further. It's just too bad I don't have access to such things.. :cry::lol: But I have to get past that ;)

I wish reviews were more consistent, I can't be sure of the the conclusions I wrote above because of it and I can't seem to find a cooler that is. There are variables in each review that makes them show highly inconsistent results either that or some reviewers are falsifying their numbers.

I guess I'm asking too much of the internet.. lol. I had hoped some people would also post what temps they're getting with their 2500K and their cooler. But haven't got any.

So my choices are the Kuhler 620 or the A70. I'm leaning towards the Kuhler because of the reasons stated above. Other suggestions are welcome. Are the old school Zalmans any good? CNPS9500? etc?

Yes. It seems like all of the coolers are very similar in performance. I'm looking for the one that generates less noise. As I said, if the A70 can get those temps at 51db then and my current 212+ is only 5-7C worse at 38db then it may not be a matter of HS performance but just fan cfm. I don't want to buy a $40 cooler and find out I simply bought better fans.. If the 620 has the same performance but with a db level of 34 then I know I'm getting a better cooler not just higher cfm fans.

I'm not determined to get the Kuhler, I just don't see a better alternative. The Macho and TS 140 are great, both are a bit better than the 620 and A70 and both are quieter AND both can have dual fan configs to increase performance even further. It's just too bad I don't have access to such things.. :cry::lol: But I have to get past that ;)

I wish reviews were more consistent, I can't be sure of the the conclusions I wrote above because of it and I can't seem to find a cooler that is. There are variables in each review that makes them show highly inconsistent results either that or some reviewers are falsifying their numbers.

I guess I'm asking too much of the internet.. lol. I had hoped some people would also post what temps they're getting with their 2500K and their cooler. But haven't got any.

So my choices are the Kuhler 620 or the A70. I'm leaning towards the Kuhler because of the reasons stated above. Other suggestions are welcome. Are the old school Zalmans any good? CNPS9500? etc?

Ok. It is difficult to have consistent numbers because so many factors that affect the results such as hardware, ambient temps, and amount of dust (this generally isn't a factor for enthusiasts). But that does not mean the temps or results are inaccurate, in fact, it is quite the opposite. The type of comparison chart you are looking for is a roundup review, which requires a reviewer to run the temp tests for all the coolers in their article and that will require them to have all the coolers and the time to do it. The well known sites are very reliable and I do not believe they will falsify numbers, they have nothing to gain (unless manufacturers are paying the reviewers thousands of dollars under the table for favorable numbers :lol:).

In terms of noise, the Kuhler 620 will produce ~4-6dB less than the A70. How much will the Kuhler 620 cost? How much will the A70 cost?

Edited by PremiumAcc

Ok. It is difficult to have consistent numbers because so many factors that affect the results such as hardware, ambient temps, and amount of dust (this generally isn't a factor for enthusiasts). But that does not mean the temps or results are inaccurate, in fact, it is quite the opposite. The type of comparison chart you are looking for is a roundup review, which requires a reviewer to run the temp tests for all the coolers in their article and that will require them to have all the coolers and the time to do it. The well known sites are very reliable and I do not believe they will falsify numbers, they have nothing to gain (unless manufacturers are paying the reviewers thousands of dollars under the table for favorable numbers :lol:).

In terms of noise, the Kuhler 620 will produce ~4-6dB less than the A70. How much will the Kuhler 620 cost? How much will the A70 cost?

You never know.. Especially with the MOST popular sites. The ones that get the most hits.. This is where people go to make their choices... but that's off topic.. :P

I understand that there are alot of factors. I just can't remember it being this bad.. When I bought the 212+ over a year ago I never had a doubt in my mind. Reviews spoke for themselves. This calibre cooler for 29.99... couldn't be beat. Now, it's not so easy.. well.. maybe it is.. LOL ...................macho........................... lol :teehee:

There's a $7 increase for the Kuhler. Still within budget. I believe it may be more db less than that if i'm not mistaken. Plus the opportunity to increase performance even more by adding another fan.

You never know.. Especially with the MOST popular sites. The ones that get the most hits.. This is where people go to make their choices... but that's off topic.. :P

I understand that there are alot of factors. I just can't remember it being this bad.. When I bought the 212+ over a year ago I never had a doubt in my mind. Reviews spoke for themselves. This calibre cooler for 29.99... couldn't be beat. Now, it's not so easy.. well.. maybe it is.. LOL ...................macho........................... lol :teehee:

There's a $7 increase for the Kuhler. Still within budget. I believe it may be more db less than that if i'm not mistaken. Plus the opportunity to increase performance even more by adding another fan.

Nope. According to [H] and a few other credible sites, the dB difference is ~4-6dB. Reviews are always mixed because no matter how objective reviewers try to be, there's always some subjectivity within them. The only objective part that you can rely on is the testing part. But that doesn't mean you should completely disregard the reviewers' thoughts about the product, you can take the reviewers' thoughts/likes/dislikes of the product into account but weigh those conclusions made by the reviewers accordingly.

What is the price difference between the two coolers? If it is $15 or more I would just go with the cheaper one. The few decibels doesn't justify that much of an increase in cost. As for adding a second fan, it doesn't always result in a significant temp decrease. You should find out how much of a difference it would be if a second fan were to be added to the Kuhler 620. Also, keep in mind that that will increase the noise level as well.

Nope. According to [H] and a few other credible sites, the dB difference is ~4-6dB. Reviews are always mixed because no matter how objective reviewers try to be, there's always some subjectivity within them. The only objective part that you can rely on is the testing part. But that doesn't mean you should completely disregard the reviewers' thoughts about the product, you can take the reviewers' thoughts/likes/dislikes of the product into account but weigh those conclusions made by the reviewers accordingly.

What is the price difference between the two coolers? If it is $15 or more I would just go with the cheaper one. The few decibels doesn't justify that much of an increase in cost. As for adding a second fan, it doesn't always result in a significant temp decrease. You should find out how much of a difference it would be if a second fan were to be added to the Kuhler 620. Also, keep in mind that that will increase the noise level as well.

There's a $7 increase if I were to choose to get the Kuhler.

Yes. I agree and will look for dual fan Kuhler 620s.

Great conversation. :typing:

There's a $7 increase if I were to choose to get the Kuhler.

Yes. I agree and will look for dual fan Kuhler 620s.

Great conversation. :typing:

If it is only $7 more, then the Kuhler 620 is still a decent option.

You're welcome. I hope I was able to help.

I do apologise about this but I'm concerned that my 212+ will be too close of a competitor to any of these coolers to merit their $50 price.... It will cost ~$40 more for a Silver Arrow which is a guaranteed improvement with silence. With my new case on it's way I shouldn't have any issues with installing.. I can't afford it NOW but in about a week I should. Thanks for all the help. I guess it seems if you have the 212+ with dual high cfm, high quality fans the only real improvement will be something in the $70+ bracket. The Havik-140 is $70.15 tax/S&H included. That would be my first choice to replace the 212+. If I had access to the Macho though I would probably get it since it's great and quiet and can get even better with dual fans.