Top Tier Cooler for Midrange $$

I recently upgraded from an AMD Athlon X3 440 to an i5-2500k and I need a new cooler. I love to overclock, I had the X3 unlocked and overclocked to 3.6Ghz using a CM Hyper 212+. Temps were fine with this setup but the little Athlon has nothing left to offer.

I had this 2500K at 4.7Ghz with 1.3V and the temps reached a boiling 78C in IBT (max) and that's only after 5min so who's to say that it's even ENOUGH voltage long term.. I read that max temps are 72.3C and that 80C is threshold so a new HS/F is in order.

I've spent too many hours searching the internet on coolers... I was going to get the best.. NH-D14 or Silver Arrow (or even the Phanteks PH-TC14PE depending on availability) But my measly case (Rosewill Blackbone) doesn't have the interior space to house such monsters. So I've decided to get a new case. I choose the CM 690 II Basic. It's a great case with lots of space and features at the right price.

Obviously now I still need a CPU cooler but because I'm getting a new case I don't have the funds for a $90+ CPU cooler. Now I have to find a sub $50 cooler that performs better than my current 212+....

I was looking at the A70 but reviews are mixed. Some places say it's up there near the NH-D14 and some others not so much.. Then if I search other forums where people asking if the A70 is better then the 212+ the general consensus is NO or BARELY.

IDK what to get.. I want something that's significantly better then my 212+ but I only have $50 to spend.

I need some help.

All suggestions welcome.

UPDATE

OK, so I did a little more research and would the Scythe Mine 2 be a good choice? I'm betting with two extra (or even one) 120mm fans mounted on this heatsink it could compete with the best and at $49. Or maybe a TT Frio?

UPDATE

I can also get the Antec Kuhler H20 620 for just $46. How would IT compare to the Frio or Mine 2? P/P dual fan would improve it even more.

Edited by LightningJR

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the few hundred mhz you gain over sticking with a 212 is NOT worth it... very few 2500ks get over 5ghz if that is your goal. the difference between 4.5 and 4.8 is really marginal

Here are some selections:

NZXT Havik: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146011&Tpk=havik

Thermalright True Spirit 140: http://www.amazon.com/ThermalRight-100700536-True-Spirit-140/dp/B00629G1PG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326129002&sr=1-1

Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103103&Tpk=hyper%20612

Pound for pound wise I would say 212+ is the best. It is hard to beat 212+ for the performance it gives at the price it costs. You won't notice a significant difference between these and your 212+ until you start OCing, in which case, you will see about a 6C - 10C difference.

Edited by PremiumAcc

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea it's difficult to get a better performing cooler with a tight $50 budget but this cooler is showing it's age there must be SOME out there. I also understand that reaching 5Ghz may not be possible and that the difference in performance between 4.5 - 4.8Ghz is marginal.

I enjoy overclocking and will be pushing this CPU to it's limits but just for pure satisfaction.. I would like to get 4.6 - 4.8Ghz stable for everyday use.. If I can't then I would be happy with 4.5Ghz. But despite all of this getting a more efficient, quieter running CPU cooler is a plus no matter if you're running overclocked or stock.

If I can get a $50 cooler that can decrease load temps of an OCed 2500k by 7-12C then great.

OK enough explaining myself.. LOL. Thanks for the suggestions PremiumAcc.. I will be researching them now. :) Does anyone have any opinions about MY suggestions/opinions in the original post?

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea it's difficult to get a better performing cooler with a tight $50 budget but this cooler is showing it's age there must be SOME out there. I also understand that reaching 5Ghz may not be possible and that the difference in performance between 4.5 - 4.8Ghz is marginal.

I enjoy overclocking and will be pushing this CPU to it's limits but just for pure satisfaction.. I would like to get 4.6 - 4.8Ghz stable for everyday use.. If I can't then I would be happy with 4.5Ghz. But despite all of this getting a more efficient, quieter running CPU cooler is a plus no matter if you're running overclocked or stock.

If I can get a $50 cooler that can decrease load temps of an OCed 2500k by 7-12C then great.

OK enough explaining myself.. LOL. Thanks for the suggestions PremiumAcc.. I will be researching them now. :) Does anyone have any opinions about MY suggestions/opinions in the original post?

To make it easier on you I just so happen to have multiple comparison charts saved on my desktop of cpu coolers. (I like saving hardware data like this :P)

1FWto.png

Edited by PremiumAcc

To make it easier on you I just so happen to have a multiple comparison charts saved on my desktop of cpu coolers. (I like saving hardware data like this :P)

1FWto.png

whoa, that's an interesting chart there,...good info, good job sir !

When you mentioned the Frio, were you talking about the Frio OCK version or the original version? I know that the Frio OCK performs similar to that of the Antec Kuhler 620 (within less than 1C of each other) and both of them outperforms the Scythe Mine 2 in temps when the CPU is OC'd. And in terms of how it matches with my suggestions, it is about less than 1C in temp difference in idle. But during load it outperforms my suggestions by ~ 3C - 6C. So you could pick whichever is cheaper or whichever one you like more.

There is also the Hyper 212 EVO that was released a few months ago. It's basically the same cooler, but with little improvements here and there that really add up.

From what I have read, the EVO doesn't offer that much better of a cooling. However, it is much more silent than its predecessor. Usually, I would suggest the 212 EVO over the 212+. But unfortunately, Newegg decided to jack the price up from $34.99 to $44.99. No way I would pay $20 more on a cooler just so it could be a few decibels quieter.

Edited by PremiumAcc

The Thermalright Macho is very good. Amazon USA $53 shipped. Frozencpu has the Thermalright Cogage True Spirit at $40 plus shipping.

EVGA Superclock cooler is $50 shipped on Amazon with prime.

You can sign up for a 30 day prime free trial.

The Cooler Master 612 is listed at the Cooler Master store for $50 plus shipping.

Edited by ohldboy

The Thermalright Macho is very good. Amazon USA $53 shipped. Frozencpu has the Thermalright Cogage True Spirit at $40 plus shipping.

The Cooler Master 612 is listed at the Cooler Master store for $50 plus shipping.

I totally forgot about Thermalright Macho. That too, is a good cooler.

Newegg is selling the 612 for $39.99 and if you have shoprunner it is free shipping.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ has done long and well, especially at its recent bargain prices. It still could use a quieter fan, which adds to the cost if needed.

It has never been an extreme cooling solution, just great middle ground.

The new battleground appears to be moving to the $40-50 range.

The Thermalright macho is probably the largest and quietist.

The Corsair A70 underprices the 212s with rebates and does better by most accounts, though it uses two fans.

The EVGA has me curious as reviews (as all too common, conflict).

The Cooler Master 612 is new Cooler Master top cooler, not sure if its good, very good, or great.