newegg has 7970 for sale NOW ...

neko77025

I will agree with WARDOZERX that both sides have driver issues.

Nvidia did have drivers that fried cards (if you played a certain game or used a certain benchmark), and memory overclocks with the last 4 previous non-beta drivers caused instability. However, their performance increases and multiple card support (SLI) for each driver update is far better than AMD.

AMD drivers have caused performance of my HD 6970's in Xfire (and tri-fire) to go down since I've had them and over the last six driver updates. It's also a pain in the butt to update AMD drivers over Nvidia's, especially in Xfire (and for it to work properly). Sometime's they're a little slow for multiple card support (Xfire) in some games.

At any rate, the cards at Newegg sold out. I heard a theory that there's actually plenty of cards in the actual warehouses, but they sell a few at the MSRP value. If they sell out fast, they can raise the prices some more and see how well that sells out in order to make a bit extra profit. :dunno: It sounds like something I would do if I owned a business. :D

Yup, you are definently being a fan boy now. Horrible driver support? Wow, just wow man, way to let nvidia pull the wool over your eyes.

Guess it's time to bring up the fact that amd hasn't released A SINGLE DRIVER THAT HAS CAUSED VIDEO CARDS WORLDWIDE TO FRY. And yet Nvidia has . . . 3 times.

That driver arguement is so half a decade ago when it was valid, now it just proves how unwiling you are to accept the truth that both sides are about equal and that makes you a fanboi.

For the last few years I honestly don't care if I'm running an Intel or AMD processor or Nvidia or AMD card as long as I get the most for the money I have which flip flops quite a bit nowadays.

For the last time people, THE DRIVER SUPPORT ARGUEMENT IS NOT VALID! DO NOT BEAT THAT DEAD HORSE ANYMORE!

Both sides have their successes AND failures every damned generation so to say one is better than the other is absolutely nothing short of ignorant.

Coming from a Quadfire user...the drivers do indeed suck quite often. For single GPUs I'm sure it's different though...

Coming from a Quadfire user...the drivers do indeed suck quite often. For single GPUs I'm sure it's different though...

You do know your cards are 4 generations old right ? :lol: Of course drivers are going to suck for you , your the only person I know who has quadfire currently with those ancient cards :lol:

I've tried both sides, and I say AMD actually came out best. I know you had issues with your 6970s Capi, but I never had what you had :dunno:

Can't wait for my Sapphire HD7970 - found one for cheap from my local dealer :biggrin: Worth the price IMO ...

You do know your cards are 4 generations old right ? :lol: Of course drivers are going to suck for you , your the only person I know who has quadfire currently with those ancient cards :lol:

I've tried both sides, and I say AMD actually came out best. I know you had issues with your 6970s Capi, but I never had what you had :dunno:

Can't wait for my Sapphire HD7970 - found one for cheap from my local dealer :biggrin: Worth the price IMO ...

Crossfire profiles have never been card-specific until the last few releases. Any Crossfire problems I have...everyone has.

TBH for the folks in the US, it's a great deal for them... Let's try comparing apples to apples:

Newegg Prices

GTX 580 EVGA reference - 499

HD 7970 Sapphire reference - 549

Based on that, folks in the US would pay roughly 110% of a GTX580 to get about 115-120% of GTX580's Performance... It's a good deal if it's the case..

But for folks in other countries (my country for example), I'd be paying 140% of a GTX580 to get that 115-120% of GTX580's performance...

Probably many have done the math but I'm just laying it out there for reference..

Now since I'm an Nvidia Fanboy, Given that the 580 have been running the throne for half a year or so, I'd wait for 7970 drivers to mature and probably also when Nvidia fails again with it's 7xx and takes the throne again with 8xx... But that's just me