newegg has 7970 for sale NOW ...

neko77025

yea .. umm overpiced .. its 15- 20% faster then gtx 580 .. and its the same price .. once its overclocked ... it matches / beats 590s 6990s .. it seem too be a very good deal.

This.

i love how people talk about these fantastic deals like

its the retail price fact is a gtx 580 retails for around $500

used one could get it for that price

The 3 GB cards sure don't...

Edited by Waco

i love how people talk about these fantastic deals like

its the retail price fact is a gtx 580 retails for around $500

used one could get it for that price

I bought my Zotac GTX 580 Amp! brand new from MicroCenter and even got the $30 rebate (although it took 2 months). It was $399.99 with a 20% off coupon and a $30 MIR.

As for buying used, why not? If it's an ASUS or MSI, they have serial-based warranty, so if something goes wrong, a $15 shipping cost for having it RMA'd still saves over paying the $185 premium of having something "new".

I bought my Zotac GTX 580 Amp! brand new from MicroCenter and even got the $30 rebate (although it took 2 months). It was $399.99 with a 20% off coupon and a $30 MIR.

As for buying used, why not? If it's an ASUS or MSI, they have serial-based warranty, so if something goes wrong, a $15 shipping cost for having it RMA'd still saves over paying the $185 premium of having something "new".

That's also not a 3 GB card...

That's also not a 3 GB card...

II didn't think we were talking about a 3GB card, just the prices of the GTX 580's in general when they came out and even some of the 1.5GB cards that are out now that are still $500 new at some retail stores.

Let's just agree that the 7970 is overpriced, but so are most GPU's, and people still buy them :P

Personally I don't mind selling a kidney to get that insane 7990 ;)

I think the price is right for a card faster than the comparably-priced 580 3 GB. :P

Then again, I do have two 4870X2s and I bought one of them on launch day for $470. :lol: I think I paid nearly $500 for my old 2900XT 1 GB as well...what a mistake that was. :lol: Young and dumb, that was me. So yeah - even with inflation - these prices don't seem all that horrible to me. :cheers:

Edited by Waco