Sign in to follow this  
dr_bowtie

MSI got me again....

Now don't get me wrong I am not really knocking MSI this time.

A while back I acquired a NIB MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI that I gave to my brother with an old opteron 148 single core that I had. This is a pretty nice board with SLI and all the bells and whistles and best part was it was New In Box and cheap...

Ran fine with teh single core Opty 148 and it was off to him... Long story short I acquired an upgrade for him by the way of an Opty 180 Dual core... nice chip and we proceeded to put it in. Booted right up to UnKnown CPU showing as a 2.41ghz Single core. Windows loaded and also shows single core....

No fuss right just update the BIOS and be done? WRONG.....

MSI no longer list this board on their site but does list the K8N Neo SLI that looks the same...but not sure...

So I decide to get the windows flasher off their site and load it... problem is it will NOT load... get an Error saying ONLY FOR MSI PRODUCTS... LOL

MSI flasher tool for USB wont boot either so no flash via USB either.... OH boy...

Apparently back int he day they used an ECS based BIOS in the K8N boards from a Google search...

So now I am hoping an Email to MSI can get me some results... this should be fun...

I'll keep you posted and in the mean time maybe there is a flash tool on the disk and I am gonna look for that...