Sign in to follow this  
xPETEZx

New Mobo/CPU

I am considering replacing my Motherboard, CPU & RAM and just wonder if it is worth it? Or should I just keep saving and replace the whole PC?

Current Spec:

CPU: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz + Thermalright Black 120

RAM:Corsair 2x2GB PC8500

Mobo:ASUS P5Q-E

GPU: Radeon HD5850 1GB x 2 in CFX

PSU: Corsair HX750W

HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

Sound: ASUS Xonar D2

Is there much performance left in my 5850's that a CPU upgrade would benefit me?

What I would like:

More RAM. At least 8GB

SATA III & USB3

Looking at current Intel boards (both LGA2011 and LGA1155) not many seem to have a good expansion slot layout.

My current P5Q-E, has a very good layout, in that the top PCIe x16 slot has 2 slots ABOVE it, which means my sound card does not need to sit between or below my graphics cards. Therefore blocking airflow.

I cant seem to find a current board with a PCI slot either above the PCIx16 slots, or at least 2 below. (IE that there would be a blank slot between the bottom card before the sound card)

Could anybody recommend a motherboard which has a good layout for 2x Dual slot cards and a PCI slot for my sound card which does NOT block the airflow to the GPUs?

What CPU would you recommend? So far the i7 2600K looks promising? Is LGA2011 worth getting on?

Id be looking to make this upgrade in the next couple of months.

Cheers!

I would suggest the LGA 3820 CPU, it's partially unlocked, and has better performance than the 2600K and at a lower price. Plus X79 motherboards have more PCI lanes. For motherboard I got an ASUS X79 Sabertooth, though the Gigabyte G1 Assassin2 would probably work well for you (though you'd be paying more, but the motherboard is a larger form factor). Both of those boards have 3 PCI-e 18x lanes I'm fairly sure, so you can just use the top and bottom one, giving your cards tons of breathing room.

Edited by NikoDG

I use the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro that has what you're looking for in a MB layout. Unless you can do some serious liquid cooling on a LGA2011 CPU and NB, I think you'd be better off with a LGA1155 CPU (i5 2500k, i7 2600k, or i7 2700k).

I would wait for ivy bridge. You can save your money and get a 7950 to go with it. I believe the 7950 should have more power than two 5850's in crossfire, but there aren't too many benchmarks out there to confirm the power for the 7950.

Assuming you just game :unsure:

That system you have is pretty nice.

I'd wait unless you have disposable income and ..must...spend.....it.. :woo: now

I am considering replacing my Motherboard, CPU & RAM and just wonder if it is worth it? Or should I just keep saving and replace the whole PC?

Current Spec:

CPU: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz + Thermalright Black 120

RAM:Corsair 2x2GB PC8500

Mobo:ASUS P5Q-E

GPU: Radeon HD5850 1GB x 2 in CFX

PSU: Corsair HX750W

HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

Sound: ASUS Xonar D2

Is there much performance left in my 5850's that a CPU upgrade would benefit me?

What I would like:

More RAM. At least 8GB

SATA III & USB3

Looking at current Intel boards (both LGA2011 and LGA1155) not many seem to have a good expansion slot layout.

My current P5Q-E, has a very good layout, in that the top PCIe x16 slot has 2 slots ABOVE it, which means my sound card does not need to sit between or below my graphics cards. Therefore blocking airflow.

I cant seem to find a current board with a PCI slot either above the PCIx16 slots, or at least 2 below. (IE that there would be a blank slot between the bottom card before the sound card)

Could anybody recommend a motherboard which has a good layout for 2x Dual slot cards and a PCI slot for my sound card which does NOT block the airflow to the GPUs?

What CPU would you recommend? So far the i7 2600K looks promising? Is LGA2011 worth getting on?

Id be looking to make this upgrade in the next couple of months.

Cheers!

Most Z68 motherboards have ample space for airflow with 2 GPU's. Look at the Asrock Z68 Extreme 4. IMO stick with LGA1155 if your looking to upgrade now. X59 motherboards are more pricey and CPU's do not give the justification of the additional dollars. Most gaming benchmarks are rather equal up to the 3930 which is a $600 CPU.

Waiting for Ivybridge is a waste.Intel will get premium pricing out of the gate with Bulldozers performance sluggish. Get the 2600k. It will be a huge performance gain and a real nice bang for the buck.

I disagree, with the release of the LGA 2011 3820 CPU a X79 system will cost no more than an 1155 system, and it will grant better performance.

So I have been reading some good things about ASROCK boards. When did that happen? lol Last I checked they where on the no-go list!!

So the Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard has an EPIC PCIe slot config!! I could put my first card in the top slot, and the second in the bottom 2, leaving a nice big 2 slot gap between the cards. Plenty of room for my D2.

Is there any restrictions with a board with so many slots as to which you can use for Crossfire? Like would I possibly have to use the second slot?

I am also hearing bad things about Marvel SATA III controllers. Anyone confirm this to be the case? If so, whats the alternative? (Intel?)

Well cash is a little tight at the momment, but I may get some tax back. If thats the case I could go ahead and do this upgrade. Otherwise it will have to wait till April/May.

1 - Ya, it would be worth it

2 - Tho I would hold off since you won't have funds till April/May

Ivy Bridge might be out by than, Nvidia will probably have released their cards which will bring down the prices of all the current cards so you can have your brand shiny new ATI cards at a reduced price. Besides, you have a great computer. :)

P.S.

The only thing I have heard about the Marvell controller is that it is slower than the Intel one when using SSDs.

Edited by Fogel

I was going to save ya some time and post a benchmark article but I can't find it now dammit. :lol:

I could be wrong but I don't think the Marvell controller supports TRIM, think that was other reason not to use Marvell.