Video Encoding Build

DLions8708

This is my first build and I built it to be able to encode football games better. My old computer only encoded at 15 fps, so it took about 6-7 Hours to do a game. I just did a game last night and it took an hour and 30 minutes. Here is what I have:

NZXT Guardian Black (Blue LED)

2x4GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte Intel Z68 (GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3)

Nvidia Quadro FX 4000 (I bought from a buddy that had it laying around)

Intel I7-2600k

It works for me, but I'm still working to upgrade the DVD drive to a blu ray burner, and possibly a new graphics card.

Kyle

Nice. Z68 is great. Are you also using Virtu to help decrease the encoding time?

No, I've never heard of Virtu. I'll have to look it up. I'm just using Video Redo to cut commericals, then handbrake to encode to h264 720p mp4.

Kyle

It's a bit of a hassle. You have to set your BIOS up so you set only iGPU (plug your motherboard VGA into your monitor), boot into Windows and install the latest drivers for your HD3000 and install Lucidlogix VIRTU. After it's installed, you can set in your BIOS dGPU, and you'll have Virtu enabled alongside your graphics card. Then browse to your handbrake executable. That might even cut down your encoding time even more.

Virtu is great for helping with encoding. I use it when I am doing anything although using cuda and sli 560s is still fair quick.

Follow the good Captains instructions and you should experience a nice little speed up.

Virtu is great for helping with encoding. I use it when I am doing anything although using cuda and sli 560s is still fair quick.

Follow the good Captains instructions and you should experience a nice little speed up.

I installed it, but "handbrake" doesnt show up under the "applications" tab. Is that normal? Plus, I should have the DVI hooked into the motherboard, not the video card, right? Or does it not matter?

Kyle

I installed it, but "handbrake" doesnt show up under the "applications" tab. Is that normal? Plus, I should have the DVI hooked into the motherboard, not the video card, right? Or does it not matter?

Kyle

You can keep it in the video card you do not need to use the mobo outputs (this is if you have a Z68 mobo which you do) you also don't need to use handbreak try using Media Converter 7

Also have a look at these reviews -

- Quick Sync Vs. APP Vs. CUDA - Tom's Hardware

- The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested - AnandTech

It encodes faster and more cleanly than using GPU accelerated encoding

Everyone always mentions CPU for rendering, but I've found good render times also with a good HDD setup. Either RAID or SSD. If rendering on a SSD, make sure to have another HDD to store the files on.

Agree on what the others said above me, btw.

I'm looking into getting an SSD to have just for my operating system. I've heard of RAID, but havent done my homework on it yet. If I get that SSD, I will have to look into it.

I tried Media Converter 7, and WOW is all I have to say. When overclocking my CPU to 4.0 it completed a conversion of a 8GB file down to 2GB (720p 1.5 hours) in 18:45. And the only quality difference I see is the the audio. I think I saw somewhere that MC7 doesnt have higher audio than 2 channel. That isnt a big deal though. Much better than the 7 Hours it would take me on my old E-Machines from Wal-Mart (que the laughs, I know).

But this Virtu thing, I can't tell if its working or not. It says its on, but yet the "show-on" screen on the right is greyed out, along with being able to add any programs. But if i'm getting an entire NFL game encoded in under 45 minutes with my current setup and MC7, I can't complain.

Kyle

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Source material is a HUGE factor in render time.

720p from Xbox using Happauge HD PVR

- 10min video = 2min render time

1080p from PC @ 1900x1200 using FRAPS

- 10min video = 21min render time

Edited by Fogel