re-thinking SSD in RAID 0

nice_shoes

I started using an SSD several months ago, Crucial C300 64GB, and I'm very happy with the performance, especially the reduced start-up time. I purchased the Crucial because it supports SATA III, even though my current motherboard only supports SATA II. My plan was to use the SSD on my current system, and then in the future purchase a 2nd unit and run them both in RAID 0 when I do my next build. My thoughts are that the 2 SSD's running SATA III in RAID 0 would be very fast. But, I'm starting to think about my next system build (not sure when I will build) and I have some points that I'd like to discuss:

1. I read that RAID 0 does indeed increase the speed, but that the increase is most noticeable during long transfers, and that therefore the speed increase is not really that helpful during shorter transfers. I read that since most operations are short transfers, the speed advantage of RAID 0 will not really amount to much. any comments?
  2. would it perhaps be better to just simply re-use the Crucial in the next system build, and simply rely on the faster SATA III speeds? That would certainly be the cheap option because I would not have to purchase another SSD, or would the combination of SATA III and RAID 0 be the best way to go? I guess I'm really asking a question about cost effectiveness............does any increased speed that comes from buying another SSD and using RAID 0 justify the additional expense?

Just go with Option 2. No TRIM support for SSD's in RAID right now except for Intel SSD's on Intel motherboards (or the next version of Intel RST). If you're doing transfers between your SSD and HDD, it won't matter anyway as the HDD will bottleneck your transfer speeds, anyway.

I did 120 GB ssd's in raid 0. But my current mobo only allows for raid on sata 2 Ports. I did it cause its cheaper than a240 GB ssd, and will have faster speeds. But in your case, unless you have a but left over in the budget of your new build I would just user the one you got and wait fir prices to fall in the next few years

Just go with Option 2. No TRIM support for SSD's in RAID right now except for Intel SSD's on Intel motherboards (or the next version of Intel RST). If you're doing transfers between your SSD and HDD, it won't matter anyway as the HDD will bottleneck your transfer speeds, anyway.

Yes, I was concerned about TRIM support. Are you thinking that the next version of RST will have TRIM support for RAID 0?

Only for Intel SSD's.

That's too bad............when will the others get support?

Also, I've checked some of the other forums on this site and found that several posts mentioned that they don't use TRIM, but have not observed any loss of performance............I thought that you needed TRIM or that the drive would get "clogged up" (for lack of a better term) and that performance would be greatly reduced.

That's too bad............when will the others get support?

Also, I've checked some of the other forums on this site and found that several posts mentioned that they don't use TRIM, but have not observed any loss of performance............I thought that you needed TRIM or that the drive would get "clogged up" (for lack of a better term) and that performance would be greatly reduced.

Not sure about when they'll support non-Intel SSD's. You really need to saturate the SSD with writes until you start seeing performance go down. Reviews that Anandtech's Crucial C300 SSD's gives a good review about TRIM: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3812/the-ssd-diaries-crucials-realssd-c300/8

Not as much of a problem now with the latest firmware, though.