My First Rig Build.

Caribbean Heat

I am new to all of this and have been reading through some of the threads and I thought I would join and get some new Ideas .

Again like I am new at building rigs but I have heard of it in the pass.

I started off with out a budget of building this rig but i had a hard choice choosing between AMD or Intel . i read a few reviews on both and saw Intel to be a better bang for your dollar but saw that it was way more expensive to build a i7 2600k system.

Here is what I have so far:

NZXT black edition case

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev1.0

4x4 hyper x ram -16Gbs

I have the FX6100 (which is not installed as yet and you will see why soon)

but I had a AMD 925 laying around so i threw that in .

a 1Tb WD Green. (Which i have in there for now until I get a SSD )

And then a retail Plus 700w power supply ( Again which is only in there till i have a 1000w system for now.)

also a corsair h70 which i bought about 9 months before I even thought about starting my new rig. (Not Installed yet.)

and ATI HD 5570 graphics card. (Will be looking at getting a better one soon not to sure what to get yet. )

I am building this rig to overclock and to learn how to overclock so far from all the forums I have read and a little help from a good buddy of mind I was about to OC my 925 from stock 2.8GHZ to 3.4 GHZ stable / 3.5GHZ stable as well (Air Cooled). I didn't put my FX 6100 in there as yet because I want to learn how to overclock with the 925 first. and then when I have the 1000w power supply, 64SSD then i will have enough information to push it as close as i can with out burning down the house lol (Just joking). I will put my water cooler in once i have everything.

what i will be using this rig for is just playing games and overclocking. and some video editing as well.

and as a side hobby i also have a RC truck which i am modding as well so these are like my 2 hobbies Overclocking (Newbie lol ) and then RC truck racing on the dirty lol

so let me know what you think of what i have so far.

No Pictures yet .

Edited by Caribbean Heat

I am new to all of this and have been reading through some of the threads and I thought I would join and get some new Ideas .

Again like I am new at building rigs but I have heard of it in the pass.

I started off with out a budget of building this rig but i had a hard choice choosing between AMD or Intel . i read a few reviews on both and saw Intel to be a better bang for your dollar but saw that it was way more expensive to build a i7 2600k system.

Here is what I have so far:

NZXT black edition case

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev1.0

4x4 hyper x ram -16Gbs

I have the FX6100 (which is not installed as yet and you will see why soon)

but I had a AMD 925 laying around so i threw that in .

a 1Tb WD Green. (Which i have in there for now until I get a SSD )

And then a retail Plus 700w power supply ( Again which is only in there till i have a 1000w system for now.)

also a corsair h70 which i bought about 9 months before I even thought about starting my new rig. (Not Installed yet.)

and ATI HD 5570 graphics card. (Will be looking at getting a better one soon not to sure what to get yet. )

I am building this rig to overclock and to learn how to overclock so far from all the forums I have read and a little help from a good buddy of mind I was about to OC my 925 from stock 2.8GHZ to 3.4 GHZ stable / 3.5GHZ stable as well (Air Cooled). I didn't put my FX 6100 in there as yet because I want to learn how to overclock with the 925 first. and then when I have the 1000w power supply, 64SSD then i will have enough information to push it as close as i can with out burning down the house lol (Just joking). I will put my water cooler in once i have everything.

what i will be using this rig for is just playing games and overclocking. and some video editing as well.

and as a side hobby i also have a RC truck which i am modding as well so these are like my 2 hobbies Overclocking (Newbie lol ) and then RC truck racing on the dirty lol

so let me know what you think of what i have so far.

No Pictures yet .

Are you still within the return date of any of this stuff?

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

Too bad if you are a gamer. If you do things like video encoding, they you have a great pc.

i am a bit confused lol

you are saying that if i could return what i have i would be able to have a better pc ?

or are you saying that what i have is great ??

i am a bit confused lol

you are saying that if i could return what i have i would be able to have a better pc ?

or are you saying that what i have is great ??

What I am saying is that there is hardware for every occasion. If you are a gamer, you should have gone with the i5 2500K and the asrock extreme 3 gen 3. You should have got the full 7200RPM HDD, and you could have gone with 8gb since you won't be able to use all of it. Right now what you have in terms of gaming is ok, it isn't like it is bad or anything, but you could have had something a lot better.

If all you are doing is video editing and transcoding or maybe some auto cad you then have a much better setup up in some regardless.

Basically if I were to compare it to cars, you could have had a porsche, but you ended up with a pick up truck. It is not necessarily a bad thing, because you might need a truck rather than a sports car.

If you needed a system that is more like a truck for doing specific things, then you have a good computer. If you needed a fast computer for gaming similar to the porsche in my metaphors then you sort of wasted a lot of potential performance.

• Like 1

First and foremost, let me address your CPU selection.

:pfp: Ever noticed or wonder why the phenoms ii are priced higher than the newer bulldozers? It is because the bulldozer processors are garbage. If you wanted to go with AMD I would have gone with the Phenom II x6 Black edition. Also, it is good to note that the Bulldozer architecture has pairs of cores combined into modules and has these cores sharing resources, which in effect drops the performance per core. With this new architecture, AMD could sport a 6 core while only actually giving you 3 physical cores. AMD developed this architecture because it was a cheaper method for them to produce multi-cores.

Secondly, which NZXT case did you purchase? The Phantom? If so, I would like to say that although the case is aesthetically pleasing, it has too much of a plastic feel and does not have stellar air cooling performance. The HAF 932 and 922 provide better features and air cooling performance at the same price point. However, those cases don't look as great. At a point in time I wanted that case but decided not to because I'd rather have performance over looks. Ultimately, it is your decision on which case to pick because people have different preferences.

Thirdly, is 16GB necessary? I think it is an overkill if you are just gaming. If however, you are doing video encoding then I could see you using 16GB. If not, it is a waste of money IMO.

Fourth, which brand are you going with the PSU? Do not go with some cheap PSU because those tend to shorten the life span of your other hardware.

Lastly, if you do not have a budget, you could go with the upcoming 7xxx series for the graphics. :)

Edited by PremiumAcc

Based on what you've given us, and prices from newegg, I'd say you have about $400 budget for RAM+CPU+MB, yes?

If that's the case, like Tjj226_Angel and PremiumAcc said, better of having an i5 2500K system... Not that I'm saying the FX-6100 is bad for gaming, just saying that you could get a better system...

Here's what I would do:

-Return the RAM, CPU, MB.

-Get an i5 2500K + MSI Z68MA-ED55 + Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9... Total Spent atmost: $410

Also, in terms of OC, SandyBridge (i5 2500k/i7 2600k) is one of the easiest chips to OC in my experience... I'd even say that it's Idiot Proof given that you'd just need to adjust multiplier and voltage (Especially with the MSI board OC Genie... 1 push of a button and you'll go rocking at 4GHz++)

But if you think that the FX-6100 is enough, then by all means, go on. The FX chips are also quite simple to OC.

EDIT: I don't think you'd need a 1000W PSU.. Instead get a decent 700/800W like Seasonic/Corsair/Superflower/etc... (If you're 700W is a decent one then I dn't think you'd need to bother at all) Even a 600W PSU is still enough for me..

Edited by vandreadstriker

Secondly, which NZXT case did you purchase? The Phantom? If so, I would like to say that although the case is aesthetically pleasing, it has too much of a plastic feel and does not have stellar air cooling performance. The HAF 932 and 922 provide better features and air cooling performance at the same price point. However, those cases don't look as great. At a point in time I wanted that case but decided not to because I'd rather have performance over looks. Ultimately, it is your decision on which case to pick because people have different preferences.

I don't really agree with you, I've had the NZXT Phantom and so far, it's one of the best case I've had after the HAF X.. It cools almost as good as the HAF X (of course this is with all fans installed, just like HAF X) And personally, I don't really mind plastic and it also adds to the fact that it made itself lighter then the HAF X. Aesthetic wise, can't complain at all... (Especially the white one)

I don't really agree with you, I've had the NZXT Phantom and so far, it's one of the best case I've had after the HAF X.. It cools almost as good as the HAF X (of course this is with all fans installed, just like HAF X) And personally, I don't really mind plastic and it also adds to the fact that it made itself lighter then the HAF X. Aesthetic wise, can't complain at all... (Especially the white one)

Like I previously said, to each his own. Cases are the hardest thing to suggest for people. For a brief time, I wanted to purchase the NZXT Phantom as well, but didn't because it lacked features such as room to install a 360mm radiator. Since Vandread has owned both cases, he is more than likely to be correct about NZXT's cooling after installing all the fans. Vandread, do you know the temp difference between the two cases with just the included stock fans?

Edited by PremiumAcc

Like I previously said, to each his own. Cases are the hardest thing to suggest for people. For a brief time, I wanted to purchase the NZXT Phantom as well, but didn't because it lacked features such as room to install a 360mm radiator. Since Vandread has owned both cases, he is more than likely to be correct about NZXT's cooling after installing all the fans. Vandread, do you know the temp difference between the two cases with just the included stock fans?

You can't expect much with the fans the Phantom comes with :nono: Only 2 fans for hdd, 1 back exhaust and 1 top exhaust... And to install more fans, it'll take 20-30 bucks extra... As for temps, you can expect between 5-16C in difference for idle and full load respectively...