1st build. i5 2500K

RockyJ

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: That is where you are wrong. My brother bought a Corsair TX PSU during Black Friday and it was faulty.

Not only are Seasonic units impressive, but the packaging is ASTOUNDING. The packaging for Seasonic eeks quality and is worth every single penny. If an AX series and a Seasonic X series unit with the exact same wattage were at the same price I would take the Seasonic over the Corsair any day of the week--even though Corsair's AX series has a longer warranty--just because of its packaging.

On a side note, RockyJ, if the vertex 3 isn't too much more than the agility 3 and if you don't mind another trip to MicroCenter, I would return the Agility 3 SSD and buy the Vertex 3 instead. The Agility uses asynchronous nand and the Vertex uses synchronous nand. Basically, synchronous SSDs are much faster than the asynchronous ones.

Well that's the first I've heard :lol:

I do agree that the vertex 3 synchronous nand is a better idea but honestly, there's nothing wrong with the agility 3 SSDs so like PremiumAcc said, if it's too much of a hastle and think it isnt worth the extra bucks, then stay with the agility 3..

Personally, instead of Vertex 3, I'd get the Patriot Wildfire 120GB instead since it performs better in many cases and better IOPS. But I noticed that it's pricier than the Vertex Series in the US... This is not the case in my country.. OCZ always carry a high price tag in here

Would love to see your finished built with all monitors installed :woo:

Edited by vandreadstriker

I used the Agility, Is on sale with rebate and was a price point I liked .. I'm not a gamer so I doubt I would ever notice any difference between the Agility and the Vertex.. ... I will be adding another Drive , with prices on HDD's like they are I might just add another SSD.. I am not a HD hog and in 3 years was only using about 130 GB on my 500GB WD HD ...

Everything has been running for about 15 hours now, no issues that I can detect... I am going to check out the video side a bit today , but no, I do not have all the monitors I want yet, just 2 24"ers for now.. I need to check out that each card is putting out what it's suppose to do , 2 dvi , 1 hdmi, 1 display port which I can't check at the moment.

I'm pretty darn happy so far with this .. Reading all the reviews @ newegg on all the motherboards and all the problems people reported kind of had me a little concerned... It seemed like a crap shoot weather a M board would work right or not..

It sure made me take my time and work carefully, which is a good thing.... If I had problems I did not want them to be builder induced...lol

I have another question in the video area I'll throw out here...

O.K. I have 2 Sapphire HD 6770 flex running and let me repeat I do not game ... My intentions are to run 4 to 6 24" FP's in a graphics / desktop situation ... I am kind of uneducated as to the purpose of the ADM crossFire .. Should I run my cards in Crossfire or just leave them as separate cards...

Pros / Cons ??

I have another question in the video area I'll throw out here...

O.K. I have 2 Sapphire HD 6770 flex running and let me repeat I do not game ... My intentions are to run 4 to 6 24" FP's in a graphics / desktop situation ... I am kind of uneducated as to the purpose of the ADM crossFire .. Should I run my cards in Crossfire or just leave them as separate cards...

Pros / Cons ??

CF would enable two graphics to work as one... So 1 card will handle 50% and the other will handle another 50%. Since you're not going to use eyefinity then just leave it be...

Edit: actually, the Flex cards would enable eyefinity without DisplayPorts... So probably you should also give it a try instead of 4 seperate screens :)

Edited by vandreadstriker

CF would enable two graphics to work as one... So 1 card will handle 50% and the other will handle another 50%. Since you're not going to use eyefinity then just leave it be...

Edit: actually, the Flex cards would enable eyefinity without DisplayPorts... So probably you should also give it a try instead of 4 seperate screens :)

I looked at one of the video's showing game playing with crossfire... pretty cool stuff there.. Might give it a look just to see what I think..

I looked at one of the video's showing game playing with crossfire... pretty cool stuff there.. Might give it a look just to see what I think..

Keep in mind though that if you're thinking of gaming on 4 screens altogether/eyefinity, your 2x6770 might still limit the quality in new games.. Not saying it can't but you probably can't get Full Ultra settings.

In regards to gaming always pick odd numbers of screens to use either across or up or even both because losing your crosshair and even just having a bezel in your center of vision really ruins things.

So keep your 4 screen productivity set up and then when gaming use 3 screen eyefinity with one screen spare where you could view system info like temps ect and also be able to surf the net ect while gaming.

Follow up report...

No real big issues to report. Everything to now is working very well. I do have a slight clicking sound from one of my case fans and have ordered a couple of these,

COUGAR CF-V14H Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 14CM Silent Cooling Fan, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835553003

as replacements.

I also picked up a really nice dual monitor stand that was a great deal compared to the price on most comparable units.

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

This is a very solid adjustable unit... It's a steal imo... most other mounts like this I looked at are easily 2 times the amount I paid for this.. I ordered one to check it out but will definitely order another . It is solid as a rock and nicely built imo..

Back to the build... You know I am actually surprised how well and pain free, (knock on wood) this whole thing went.. I have had no problems with any of the components as of yet, It has been running almost non stop now for 5 or 6 days , I have run the Intel burn test and Prime95 on it with no problems at all. My temps on the cpu seem fine, 27c to 30c low load and during the burn test at full cpu load around 48c to 50.

The vid cards are working as intended, and I should have no problem with building up my monitor count, probably try and get in 4 to start off and then try to get to 6... but it will do 8...

I just have to decide on a monitor price point and what I want....

I currently have 2 Dell 24", They are not matched however, one is a Dell S2409W and the other is a Dell UltraVision 2408WFP and of course the Ultravision is such a nicer screen but it comes at a Hefty Price as well.... what to do...??

I do not have to stick with a dell screen , I can use both of those screens on my other rig (Inspirion 530 Q6600 Quad.) But this is gong to take some thought to get it right,

I can't think of any part of my build that disappointed, It all came together great.

Anyone looking for a nice case really ought to give the fractal arc a look, The case is (imo) high quality all around. If you are looking for a sophisticated appearance this will fill that easily.. Room to grow and great cooling options. I am more than happy I spent a little extra on it not only for it's great appearance but it is a case that can last many years of upgrades and additions...

Pretty impressed with the SeaSonic M1211 620w psu as well..

I had no problems with the ASRock Extrm4 Gen3 mobo, I did just load the drivers right off the supplied disk ( I know that's frowned on, lol) but it worked like a charm, the loaded BIOS is version P1.10, 2011/09/09 and using the included AXTU utility I bumped up my i5 to 4.0 GHz after a couple of days running.. It was a very simple setting bumping the CPU Ratio up to x40.0 and it was done...

Me being a OC'ing noob but the AXTU seems like a pretty handy utility , of course I have no idea about what changes it would take to oc higher but in reality I probably do not really need it as I am not a "Gamer" like most of you all here... While I see no need for me to push it I do like the idea of getting the most out of what I got so I'll be looking for a nice comfortable level that will last long time... Inputs gladly accepted...

I have seen some mention of pre made oc settings for these boards but haven't seen them anywhere...

I'll post some shots of board info , settings , voltages ect, not that they mean anything to me presently but you guys might see something interesting... or not..

post-81983-0-94745000-1326903273_thumb.jpg

post-81983-0-11572400-1326903321_thumb.jpg

Darn here I am again with these big butt pics... zoom out to see everything if you click on the thumbs.. Feel free to tell me what it all means..lol

Edited by RockyJ