Planning a trip to London.

greengiant912

So I have been doing a lot of domestic traveling over the past few years, and now I want to start seeing the world a little bit. I figure best to play it safe and start out with London....

I am a huge history nerd so museums, landmarks, etc are all the things I would do... I def have to goto Abbey (huge Beatles nerd)

I know I can get airfare for about $1k USD (a little under right now, roundtrip). But I am wondering what the hotel costs would be, the food expenses and what not? I am kinda a noob when it comes to this... Especially trying to figure out the exchange rates and what not... I plan on spending about 2 weeks. I am looking to go with a friend as well :)

What should I be aiming for when saving for a trip like this? I was thinking around $2500 or so (for airfare hotels etc...)

I was even thinking about crossing the channel into France, but I know there is a lot I want to see in London too...

Also should I rent a car? I am a pretty big guy, I know a lot of Europeans drive smaller cars because space is an issue, or should I take advantage of the public transportation (cabs, buses, underground?)

London is expensive. We're talking $130 a night for somewhere reasonable and not even "up market"!

Don't hire a car - the underground is sufficient :) you'll spend FOREVER sat still going nowhere. We don't drive smaller cars because space is an issue, we drive smaller cars because we don't see much point in huge cars (and fuel costs more)!

There's a lot to see and do in London ... you'd need more than two weeks to do London and Paris the justice they deserve.

London is expensive. We're talking $130 a night for somewhere reasonable and not even "up market"!

Don't hire a car - the underground is sufficient :) you'll spend FOREVER sat still going nowhere. We don't drive smaller cars because space is an issue, we drive smaller cars because we don't see much point in huge cars (and fuel costs more)!

There's a lot to see and do in London ... you'd need more than two weeks to do London and Paris the justice they deserve.

Yeah thats why I am thinking just london this time around, but I hate to go all the way there just for that, but like you said to give them the time they properly deserve...

How about this is there decent places to stay outside of london with easy transit into the city?

When I went to NYC we stayed in New Jersey and took the port authority bus into the city, is there options like that available?

Also I might spend different nights at different hotels if the price is right :)

Also I know I want to go see stonehedge too, which I know is some distance, would you recommend maybe getting a car for a day and driving that way? Also can a foreigner legally drive on the streets?

I just don't see how tall people in the UK can get into some of those tiny cars. I know Jeremy Clarkson is pretty tall (6'5" i think) and he squeezes into some pretty small cars lol, I'm 6'10" and have a hard time with a lot of cars here in the states lol...

Edited by greengiant912

AS Silverfox said, do NOT hire a car inside London. Avoid taxis too, as they are very expensive. The underground will get you pretty much everywhere. Invest in an Oyster card (£3 from most stations). It will let you easily travel the city, and cost you a maximum of £7 per day. (Once you have spent £7 on the card, it wont let you spend any more, so all travel is then "free")

Stonehenge is a bit of a drive out of London, but I would look to take a Coach or Bus Tour. Hiring a car wont be worth it just for that.

Staying outside London could work, but if you stay outside of the Underground, any money saved on Overnight stay could easily be wasted on Train/Bus travel in and out of the city.

London is a very expensive city, so expect to pay especially in tourist spots.

I am saving up for this trip, likely wont go until I can afford it... I do want to see a lot of the sights, and do all the tourist stuff lol...

New york has a similar system with the Metro card, I bought one of those for like $14 for 3 days and used that all the time.. We did use taxi's occasionally. I have done big cities before I know how expensive they can be... I guess I am just looking to go on a moderately priced trip.. Not super expensive but not super cheap either...

I know here I can rent a car for like $30 a day which isn't that bad...

Oh btw reason why I want to go, is because I want to treat myself for graduating college, before I start a real job lol...

Edited by greengiant912