First case mod! Ideas?

Not usre if this is exactly the place to put this, but I think it's not entirely inappropriate. I won an H2 case from NZXT. After I gave them my shipping info and color preferenc (white) as asked, I waited around a month to receive a package from them. However, the package contained a Havik 140 CPU cooler, so I contacted them and sent it back last week, and then the waiting game continued. Today, they sent me a confirmation email with the tracking number, and lo and behold, it was on it's way to my front door. After being down in Tucson all day, I got home, and opened it. However, it's black which is quite disappointing. I'm wondering if I should go through the hassle of sending it back, or if I should just suck it up, and take a free case as it is.

Okay, after further thought, I've decided I want to give this case a custom paint job (thanks bp). The only question is...what should I do? I think a big OCC logo on the side would be cool, but I have no further thoughts than tat...Ideas?

Lol, that sucks. Hard to complain when you win it, but that they can't get it right = :mfp:

I would probably suck it up because free is free, but if you wanted to be nice, you could reply back that you really wanted the H2 because it was the color that matches the color scheme you were planning, and that you wanted to impress people with how cool it looks with pictures and give them some free and supportive PR. :P

I could see a stealth aircraft or sniper decal on the case. A bottom led fan would shine through the mesh filter and make the area under the case glow, depending on the case feet height. A led strip behind the front fans would illuminate when the case front door was opened, so why not put a spring activated switch behind the door to operate the light when it opens too. Some sort of lock on the top mounted storage drive.

The usb 3 cable that runs through the case is detestable I would connect it in the case.

Edited by sticknstone

Suck it up, and take a free case as it is.

+1

Even if this isn't you main case I wouldn't do your first paint job right onto a new case.

I'd stick with black and do some other mods that are less likely to be screwed up.

Then again it was free.

+1

Even if this isn't you main case I wouldn't do your first paint job right onto a new case.

I'd stick with black and do some other mods that are less likely to be screwed up

Yes, something desk taught me is that getting a great finish painting it yourself is a PITA

Possible, but takes a long time

I would mod that thing from the tip of its front panel to the But of the power supply Jig.

1: to heck with the Upper section of that case. Insert koolance triple rad riser, Cut gigantic hole, mount riser, insert XSPC Triple radiator. Res and pump near bottom. Now its water cooled.

1.1: if the Front I/O got in the way I would cut a nice square out of it and add it to the side of the left side panel.

2: Take the front panel completely off and send it Off to an artist to have the OCC fan cut in the front panel in front of the fans. And of course the OCC logo Drawn in the center of it all.

3: install LED fans all the way around. I prefer Blue

4: Case window in your favorite color Acrylic.

5: Lights and install components.

6: send pics to us and NZXT and say "this is what you should have made"

Paint the case the OCC blue and put a sliver OCC logo on the sides. :biggrin:

I think I'm just going to end up putting on the fanblade logo, and leave the rest black.

A rep got back to me, and let me know that they only had black in stock, and they didn't want me to have to wait, so meh.

Seal up everything and make it a fully submerged pc! :lol:

Nah.

I would cut out those hard drive cages and put a 240mm rad right there. You are dealing with a very cheap quality case. The side door is totally flimsy. I would fix that by adding a window to stiffen that up. I like boinkers idea of getting the 360 riser. What I would do, if you have the money, is get carbon fiber film in the color you want, and use that instead of paint. The finish to the H2 is going to make it an absolute painting nightmare. I would take off that door, and try to get some clean edges and put carbon fiber on that. Maybe get some cool blue led chrome turbine looking fans. Here is what I specifically see.

You carbon fiber the whole thing white. Ever nook and cranny I want to see white carbon fiber on the outside. Take that freaking door off because my god is it boring. Try and somehow remove the hinges and give it a clean look. Obviously carbon fiber that whole front panel. Then take some purple led fans (I take back what I said about blue) and put some awesome metal fan grills over it from MNPC tech. I would take a sheet of Plexiglas or something flat and cutable and try to level that roof. Make it is s flat as you can, put what ever material you can on top to make it flat. Put carbon fiber on that (yes the idea is to seal up that awful external drive bay and give it a clean look.). Cut out some holes for the fans and put in a white rad housing, but unlike Boinker, I would say to only go for 240mm rad. No reason to have the potential of screwing up the clean look with a big rad. Throw some purple led 120s in there with more metal fan grills. Now here come the radical idea. Put in the window so that you don't see the PSU but wide enough where you ace start seeing the hard drives. So basically make it short but wide. Then get reflective film. Something that would normally look like a metallic finish until you shine light through it. I will come back to this idea in a second. The water loop should be deep purple see though hose with dark blue UV reactive dye. Basically make the tubes look like black lights. Then put in some UV reactive purple cathode or LEDs to light the case. This time the purple color should be light and sort of washed out. Then take some cheap a$$ thin material that light can't shine through like maybe balsa wood, and make some sort of design. The length of it would be the length of your case on the inside minus an inch, and the width should be a good seven inches (or as much as it would take to cover up the hard drive wires and cages, but not so much that you encroach on the motherboard that you want to showcase). Then get some black carbon fiber and cut out the same design as in the balsa wood without attaching it to the wood (Plexiglas will work fine now that I think about it, but same methods as the balsa wood). Then what you do is you cover the balsa wood and your design with white carbon fiber, shine a light through the white carbon fiber to see your pattern glow though and then, VERY CAREFULLY, lay the black over top matching the pattern up. Now instead of purple led, you choose whatever color you like. This will be your signature, so make it count.

The idea is that the metallic film should be like 2 way film. When your PC is off, you only see a metallic finish, but when you turn your PC on, you can see your system and the black light sort of water loops. The bright purple LEDs should be for showing off the parts. The metallic film will make it dark, so make sure you get LEDs that are bright enough to make the light sine though well. The look I am thinking of is a clean white PC with a sheik carbon fiber look. Very modern and contemporary and then you push the power button and you have this sort of edgy mysterious look to it.

I a sure there is room for some improvement in that idea, and the kinks would be worked out along the way.

Even though I seriously doubt you will do this, I really hope you consider it because I would really want to see some picks of something like that. :biggrin: