So I tried to write a helpful review at Newegg...

Review is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231519&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

So, the idiots think I'm the idiot (and maybe I am)... but so does G.Skill.

If you attempt to use two kits in the same computer, the rated specifications are no longer guaranteed. This memory on a Sandybridge platform can produce very good results. For two kits @ DDR3-2133, make sure to raise VCCIO to 1.10V. Full slots can be very stressful for the CPU, so certain areas will need slightly more voltage to be fully stable.

Duh?

I think I'm done with G.Skill... and leaving reviews on Newegg. I even wrote a kind of spiteful follow-up review... it probably won't even get published. :P

At least they were only $45 for each kit.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how the one guy says: "The sandy bridge cpu has the memory controller built in, and running using all 4 dimms puts more pressure on the cpu so thats why it needs more vcore, its not g.skill, any ram with 4 dimms would do this" Despite the fact that you mention the mushkin modules work fine at the same voltages, but the G.Skill will not work at their rated voltage...

At least G.Skill was kind enough to reply... But to say that if you have 2 kits the specs are no longer guaranteed? That seems like a buncha bull to me!

On a side note, I've written dozen's of reviews on newegg and I've gotten a few bad responses myself, but in the end, i end up like 5 out of 7 people thinking my review was useful. So in the end i still feel like i helped people even if one or two idiots seemed to believe that I'm the idiot.

Review is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231519&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

So, the idiots think I'm the idiot (and maybe I am)... but so does G.Skill.

Duh?

I think I'm done with G.Skill... and leaving reviews on Newegg. I even wrote a kind of spiteful follow-up review... it probably won't even get published. :P

At least they were only $45 for each kit.

el man, the vast majority of reviewer folks on the egg are novices or rookie home builders who don't have 1/10th the experience and insight or understanding that you do. please do continue to make an effort to illuminate the dark places between their ears, educate within reason, and take their ignorance with a grain of salt...be good to yourself brother !!

From what I read, G Skill seems to be agreeing with you in their reply.

By the way, I personally don't think the second review was really warranted.

Not really, it felt more like a cookie-cutter response they give everyone.

The second review probably wasn't warranted, but I have a lot of spite.

You won't buy an SSD of theirs because you don't like the fact that their, cheap, memory isn't working the way you want it to, even though its rated for 2x4gb not 4x4gb... :huh:

Why not just buy 4x4gb of memory rated at a specific speed and voltage if you want to make sure it works correctly?

You won't buy an SSD of theirs because you don't like the fact that their, cheap, memory isn't working the way you want it to, even though its rated for 2x4gb not 4x4gb... :huh:

Why not just buy 4x4gb of memory rated at a specific speed and voltage if you want to make sure it works correctly?

I have a 2x4GB kit. Later on, I decide "hey, I need more RAM.", so I buy another kit of the exact same memory but it suddenly isn't rated at it's rated speed? That makes no sense.

As for the not buying SSD's, think about it this way.

You buy something from a manufacturer. That product doesn't work as stated, and they basically write you off as far as customer support goes. Are you likely to buy anything else from that manufacturer? Probably not. I'd agree with Capitan, if I hadn't had such a good experience with G.Skill.

I almost never buy 4x4GB memory kits. They're more expensive than two 2x4GB memory kits. I have plenty of cheap G.Skill memory and they even work fine. This kit was entirely different, and the product spec shows voltage at 1.6V, which I figure is pretty good until everyone else says they're running in 1.65V's.

Like I said, I have spite. I had a horrible experience with TigerDirect, and never shop there anymore. They don't even care, so why should I? If G.Skill fixes what their voltage says from 1.6V to 1.65V's and removes that it's "Designed for 2nd Generation Intel Core Processors and Z68&P67 platforms" (which Intel specifically states that the max DRAM Voltage should be no higher than 1.58V's), then maybe I'll start buying G.Skill products again, but not until then.

I bought it at least expecting the price premium for the extra speed would be better than cheaper 1600MHz CAS 9 RAM (two different kits, from two different brands, even), but it's even worse. I even ran the kit at 1600MHz and it still needed 1.65V's and +.020V's CPU Voltage for stability.

P.S. I had cruddy OCZ memory, and called OCZ customer support and had a bad experience. Thus, no OCZ SSD's.

I have a 2x4GB kit. Later on, I decide "hey, I need more RAM.", so I buy another kit of the exact same memory but it suddenly isn't rated at it's rated speed? That makes no sense.

As for the not buying SSD's, think about it this way.

You buy something from a manufacturer. That product doesn't work as stated, and they basically write you off as far as customer support goes. Are you likely to buy anything else from that manufacturer? Probably not. I'd agree with Capitan, if I hadn't had such a good experience with G.Skill.

There are usually always more problems with completely populating memory slots versus just using 2. Look at some X58 threads, tons of memory issues when people filled them completely.

I had an issue with an Asus motherboard I bought a few years ago, I still got an Asus as my next motherboard.(Previous one). Also expecting great customer support on a newegg review, cmon. Go to their support site if you want real help.

And like I said, their memory is rated for 2x4gb. All bets off with 4x4gb. It's probably just barely stable at 2x4gb and when you add another and make it 4x4gb it probably becomes unstable without an increase of voltages, hence why it's so cheap.

Edited by Krieg1337