Upgrading graphics for relative

Mr. Agree

A relative liked playing Left 4 Dead 2, but they can't afford much at the moment.

Of course they are stuck with a 6700xl 128mb on board, their CPU is Intel Pentium D 830 @ 3Ghz.

I was thinking a low profile 6450 1gb? http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/ATI/ATI+6400+Series/XFX+Radeon+HD+6450+Low+Profile+1024MB+GDDR3+PCI-Express+Passive+Graphics+Card+?productId=44710

How would this run, being their screen is 20" too? They want to play San Andreas (which already works maxed out on the on board) and other Valve games. What PSU would it require? We're yet to open it but i'd guess it would be about 200-250w, maybe 300w.

Their motherboard is an ms-7204, now i'm not sure if this has a PCI-e slot.. as it seems the card needs one. If not, does anyone suggest any other card?

Unfortunately, I could not find any wattage test on that card. However, AMD's website suggests that users use a 400W or greater PSU for that card.

Here is the system requirements for L4D2:

PC System Requirements

Minimum:

Supported OS: Windows® 7 32/64-bit / Vista 32/64 / XP

Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz

Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista

Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with 128 MB, Shader model 2.0. ATI X800, NVidia 6600 or better

Hard Drive: At least 13 GB of free space

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Recommended:

Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz

Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

If the minimum requirement posted on Steam is correct, then your relative should be able to play L4D2, as L4D2 seems to only require Pentium 4 (surprisingly).

Based on pictures on google images, there is a PCI-E x16 slot and a PCI-E x1 slot.

Edited by PremiumAcc

Unfortunately, I could not find any wattage test on that card. However, AMD's website suggests that users use a 400W or greater PSU for that card.

Here is the system requirements for L4D2:

PC System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz

Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with 128 MB, Shader model 2.0. ATI X800, NVidia 6600 or better

Recommended:

Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz

Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

If the minimum requirement posted on Steam is correct, then your relative should be able to play L4D2, as L4D2 seems to only require Pentium 4 (surprisingly).

Based on pictures on google images, there is a PCI-E x16 slot and a PCI-E x1 slot.

Thanks! You see, with L4D2 on the onboard, we got green patching and flashing after 5 minutes, but on medium the game ran fine in that time. It maxes out San Andreas too, their resolution is 1280x700 odd. But yeah, it did run fine in the time before it started flashing.

I'd say get this psu for £36, then get something like an nvidia 8800gt or an ati 5670 for around £30 used off ebay, either will be much faster than the 6450. If they wanted you could also get them a cheap core 2 duo from ebay and maybe even some more ram as both would also be good cheap upgrades. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I'd say get this psu for £36, then get something like an nvidia 8800gt or an ati 5670 for around £30 used off ebay, either will be much faster than the 6450. If they wanted you could also get them a cheap core 2 duo from ebay and maybe even some more ram as both would also be good cheap upgrades. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

They have 4gb RAM but thanks, they just really want it for use with Valve games. They aren't a huge gamer really, i'd take up your call though if they were and was looking for something decent.