MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk or ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCUII?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got my MSI GTX 560 Ti and WOW! The difference between it and Intel HD graphics is amazing. I always thought PC graphics were better but not that much. Completely destroys my Xbox 360. :)

I did some Heaven Benchmarking and these are my results at my current overclocked state. Same Heaven settings as you El_Capitan. Sorry for not showing them, but they're the same.

I'm not 100% sure why the average FPS is lower than yours El_Capitan, but I was wondering maybe if it had something to do with the CPU. I have an, as you can see, I3-550 @ 4.5 Ghz. It's a dual core, I don't know if maybe that would make the difference.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff481/momosmokey/HeavenBenchmark1100MhzGPU.png

:pfp:

A couple of things are wrong with the picture.

1. You didn't go int MSI Afterburner's settings to select the General and Safety properties.

post-70939-0-67655500-1325807259_thumb.png

2. You tried to overclock the Core Clock, but overclocked too high. You set it at 1103MHz. No way you'll be able to overclock that high.

3. First, run that card at stock (which is pretty much what you did). The Min FPS is what you have to worry about. Do #1 and run the benchmark again.

P.S. Don't take a screenshot of a pic where we can see your name, Josephus. ;) It from the file location of your Unigine Benchmark results.

Once you get your stock benchmark ran again, to apply an overclock, you need to "Apply" your changes. Just don't overclock at crazy settings in the beginning (especially not at 1103MHz) or you could damage your card or something.Overclocking is a patience game.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! One second while I bang my head with a hammer.. doh.gif

I did click apply each time as I slowly raised the core clock. Did I have to unlock the voltage settings before it takes affect?

The name you read is actually my middle name in Latin. My real name is Reilly, "hi", I just got bored of using 'Reilly Parker' and decided to use a Latin version instead. However, note taken, won't happen again. :)

Thanks I'll report back shortly.

PS: Is there a reason I can't seem to use the 'Click To Attach Files' button? That picture I sent was a little smaller than intended.

Edited by momosmokey

Start at stock voltage and stock Core Clock, run the benchmark and save the results.

If it passes, increase Core Clock by 10MHz and repeat. Also, keep your Memory Clock at 2000MHz in MSI Afterburner. The latest Nvidia drivers have issues with Memory overclocks.

Once you fail, or you see your Min FPS get lower than your previous benchmarks, then it's not really stable. At this point, raise your Core Voltage to 1150mV's and repeat through 10MHz increments and benchmark runs, same as before. Keep an eye out on your temperature.

When you're done, you now have a comparison of your overclocks from stock voltage and max voltage. Usually I keep my voltages no higher than 1100mV's for graphics cards in 24/7 operations unless it has more than a 6+1 phase VRM (which your card does at 8+1).

Start at stock voltage and stock Core Clock, run the benchmark and save the results.

If it passes, increase Core Clock by 10MHz and repeat. Also, keep your Memory Clock at 2000MHz in MSI Afterburner. The latest Nvidia drivers have issues with Memory overclocks.

Once you fail, or you see your Min FPS get lower than your previous benchmarks, then it's not really stable. At this point, raise your Core Voltage to 1150mV's and repeat through 10MHz increments and benchmark runs, same as before. Keep an eye out on your temperature.

When you're done, you now have a comparison of your overclocks from stock voltage and max voltage. Usually I keep my voltages no higher than 1100mV's for graphics cards in 24/7 operations unless it has more than a 6+1 phase VRM (which your card does at 8+1).

Even if the memory is at 2100 Mhz out of the box?

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I'll post results when done.

Even if the memory is at 2100 Mhz out of the box?

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I'll post results when done.

Yeah, even out of the box. However, I've noticed with at least driver 285.79 that the default memory overclock is fine. The four driver versions before that... not so good.

The drivers messed with my memory oc I used to be able to hit 2400 on my original drivers but all the drivers I used from Rage thru Skyrim messed with the ability to oc memory not a big loss tho since I dont run an oc in summer too bloody hot.

May need to try new drivers on a coldish day. See if I can get 1000/2000/2400 oc in sli going just for shiits and giggs.

Overclocking a GPU must be a whole different beast compared to a CPU.

I ran one benchmark earlier (before I read your post telling me to up at 10 mhz at a time) at 1004 Mhz and its Min. FPS was 9.6. I then followed your advice and when I ran the benchmark for 1010 Mhz the Min. FPS was 9.0. Does that simple .6 of a FPS really mean it needs more voltage?

Stock Min. FPS was 6.8.

Same goes for the Avg. FPS.

1004 Mhz = 27.9 FPS

1010 Mhz = 27.3

Edited by momosmokey

Overclocking a GPU must be a whole different beast compared to a CPU.

I ran one benchmark earlier (before I read your post telling me to up at 10 mhz at a time) at 1004 Mhz and its Min. FPS was 9.6. I then followed your advice and when I ran the benchmark for 1000 Mhz the Min. FPS was 9.0. Does that simple .6 of a FPS really mean it needs more voltage?

Stock Min. FPS was 6.8.

Same goes for the Avg. FPS.

1004 Mhz = 27.9 FPS

1000 Mhz = 27.3.

It's a little different than overclocking a CPU. With a graphics card, there's multiple approaches. This method is just what I use,

Those slight variations are expected. Be more worried when you see a dip from 9.6 Min FPS to something like ~ 5.2 Min FPS.

Plus, yeah, from your post way back, your CPU may be holding you back a little on the Min FPS side. Switching from a 1090T at 4.0GHz to an i7 950 at 4.3GHz yielded an increase of almost 3 - 10FPS in Min FPS (difference really depends on the graphics cards, etc).

Here's an example of a difference from a 1090T at 4.0GHz and an i5 2500K at 4.0GHz with two HD 6970's in Xfire (I was also able to be stable on an i5 2500K at 1020MHz Core Clock instead of 1010MHz):

post-70939-0-04140800-1325820843_thumb.png

post-70939-0-36191400-1325821070_thumb.png

Then the Avg and Max FPS increase was almost negligible with a higher overclock on the i5 2500K:

post-70939-0-51623300-1325821192_thumb.png

Alright it was stable up until 1040 Mhz with voltage at 1150 mV. Past there it crashed and returned to stock settings.

Should I set it back to 1020 and call it stable? What would you recommend at this point?

Alright it was stable up until 1040 Mhz with voltage at 1150 mV. Past there it crashed and returned to stock settings.

Should I set it back to 1020 and call it stable? What would you recommend at this point?

Wow, that's pretty good. What were the MIN/AVG/MAX FPS results for each benchmark?

If you're happy with the temps, you could stay there and see how it does in games. If it has issues in games, turn it down 10MHz.

Or, if you want to be on the safe side, just run it at 1100mV's Core Voltage and see how it overclocks at those voltages. It's really up to you. The 8+1 phase VRM's should be good enough to hold you steady at 1150mV's as long as your temps and airflow are good.

Crysis 2 crashed after 5 minutes or so at 1030 Mhz. Ran a little longer at 1010 Mhz but finally crashed. Heaven benched fine at 1020 Mhz, even at 1030 Mhz. Think it may be an issue with drivers or is Crysis 2 simply more stressful?

I'll try Mafia II and see how that runs.