Installing on multiple machines

ishyishy

Hello,

I have a general question about installing Windows 7 Ultimate (or any other version) on more than 1 computer. I bought the full version (not OEM) of Windows 7 Ultimate. I heard/read that I was only allowed to use this software for 1 computer. I've also read that the software serial number is bound to the motherboard that you install it on.

I read that the OEM software can only be used one time. Well what happens if I install it on another computer?

I read that the full version can be used to install on more than 1 computer, but only used on 1 computer at a time. What would happen if I took this software and put it on another computer? If I decide to rebuild a computer using different hardware, what happens here? How does the OS recognize that I am using a different machine and how does it update itself to know that I am no longer using the old system?

Bottom line: Do I have to buy a separate OS for each computer I own?

Thanks.

Edited by ishyishy

I don't know what would happen, I suppose when they went online the last one to be installed would be classified as a pirated copy, but I don't know what would happen if they were to never go online at all. :dunno:

When you activate windows online, a hash is generated and stored based on components in your PC. You will not be able to activate it on another PC as the hash will be different.

Without activating, you can use windows for a 30 day trial period. This can be extended to upto 120 days by re-arming the trial. After that period you will no longer be able to log on.

Ok thanks. But, how does a full non-eom version work then? I read that those can be used as many times as you want, but only on 1 PC at a time. Will my previous installation be deactivated if I install the OS again using a different computer? If so, what will happen to all of my information on the last PC?

You can contact MS and they can transfer the license. I have done that once. It is not meant to be used on say a desktop and a laptop where one will be on at a time, because you would have to call them each time you switch computers

So if my motherboard blows up, and I have to buy a new one, I would have to call microsoft and actually speak to someone to get my license transfered over to my new motherboard? This doesnt even make sense to me :S There has to be a more simple way to do this lol

Ok it looks like there is no other way to do this other than the phone.

Can you buy another activation key? But use the same install disc?

Will it give you the option from within your 30 day trial to buy it?

So if my motherboard blows up, and I have to buy a new one, I would have to call microsoft and actually speak to someone to get my license transfered over to my new motherboard? This doesnt even make sense to me :S There has to be a more simple way to do this lol

Its not supposed to be simple lol. If it was, they'd make less money!