Its finally done! Pics and Benchmarks soon to come.

DrDigitized2

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case I was just pointing out the price difference in the cases. 300 for the regular one and 800 for the nicer model. I just can't see paying 800 for a case.

Ahhhhh. Yeah.

It is the same argument as soooooooooooooo many other products. The 3930X and the asus mars 2. It can really get out hand.

I have been thinking about how I could mod my corsair 800D for that.

Seal it off and fill it with mineral oil. :P

Really though if you want a submerged computer you don't need to spend all the money on that case.

Ok so here is my build so far. Tweak it how ever you feel. Its mostly the same build as Tjj posted with a couple miner differences. My wife and I have decided to do away with her build for now and we will build a new computer for her next year. She says she would rather use her money for something else but she is ok with the 2k price point.

First is the Case. I shopped around for a while now and while I find that there are some pretty neat cases out there, I just don't see the point in spending the extra cash on them.

So I am going to go with the Corsair Obsidian Series 650D

Next is the motherboard. Now I am not going to lie and say that I fully understand the differences between one Z68 and another Z68. Having researched the CPU and the chipsets and the Differences between the P, H, and the Z series motherboards I now have a basic understanding why I want to stick with a Z series. Weather the motherboard Tjj picked out for me is the best Z68 for the money I will let you guys decide. Because honestly I don't know.

So I am going with the ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3

For now I am going to stay with the same PSU Tjj recommended because a wise man once told me that buying a cheep PSU is a huge waist of money. The only thing is. Is it going to give me enough power in the future? PSU's are known to last a long time and I dont want to waist more money in the future buying a more powerful one.

So for now I am going with CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850

Now the CPU I am going to go with is the i5 2500k. I have researched the i7 2600k and found that it is not really needed for gaming and the performence isn't that much better or worth the extra money. And I dont plan on doing any photo or video editing. It takes way to much time.

So the Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) is good enough for me.

Now for the SSD's I am going with the SRT that Tjj recommended for my Cache and I am going with a 120 GB SSD for my OS and my heavy games.

SRT Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

SSD Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3A-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

The HDD I am going with is a 2TB so that I can load some games as well as my wifes pics.

Its a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

The Ram I am going with is the same as Tjj recommended. I dont know how the use the extra ram I can't use for games as a Cache so I dont see the need on spending the extra money.

The Ram is Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

The OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit OEM for $140. If anyone knows where I can get it cheaper let me know.

I am going to go with a water cooler. I have always wanted one but just wimped out last time. Would you guys water cool the GPU as well? If so would you guys still recommend the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 kit? $130

And finally I am going to wait for the AMD Radeon HD 7950. The price point seams good and the performance that has been leaked sounds good by my standards.

As of now the cost of everything is

Case $200

MB $270

PSU $200

CPU $220

SRT SSD $125

SSD $190

Ram $65

OS $140

GPU around $400

Water cooler $130

Grand total is $1940

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7134880&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=COfFhNyss60CFQjd4AodV3fkmg

5 bucks cheaper and you don't have to wait for a rebate :thumbsup: You are going to see why it costs so much when you get it. I took my 800D to the dump to see how much they would give me for the metal. 120 bucks, and I bought it for 160 on sale :rofl:

For the motherboard, it looks like PCI 3.0 is sort of a flop. Were supposed to be getting a lot more with PCI 3.0 than we are. So I am overturning my original suggestion would say get this board instead. EVGA makes a much higher quality board than Asrock, and because of the rebate, it is 30 bucks less. I think the look is better, the overclocking is better, the company is better, the only thing is that it doesn't have PCI 3.0 lanes, and even though you are going to have a pci 3.0 card, the difference will be so tiny you won't notice it, and for you to get the functionality out of it, you would have to buy an ivy bridge processor. So screw it. Stick with EVGA and have a record setting board rather than a fancy useless board ;)

I am also turning over my PSU recommendation to go with this one. I only would do this because when I was looking at your total power usage, I calculated for everything and used 2 (to factor in expandability) 6970s as your cards and it came out to 906W. Now the 7970 is supposed to use less power so I figured that 850 would be fine. Well dummy me did that at 3 in the morning. I am doing this again at 3 in the morning, but last time I was out of pepsi and this time I have a whole case of it in my room :lol: . I did not factor in stuff like the water pump for water cooling, the fact that your motherboard is high end and not "normal", or a max overclock. Not to mention all the fans. Silverstone is right there with corsair at the top so no sacrifice in quality. The only thing you need to consider is that you will be loosing your gold power efficiency rating for silver, but you will be gaining 150 more watts and 10 dollars after rebate. Honestly, it is a really easy choice to make :biggrin:

CPU is good.

Get the SRT drive from here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1083873&Sku=P33-8500 Literally, you are saving 1 dollar. But hey, every penny counts ;)

This one isn't me overturning my previous recommendation as much as it is me doing some bargain hunting for you. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1457210&CatId=5300 . I know that commonly the "SE" stands for slow edition, but in the case it is actually faster than the standard edition. You will see better write/random write/uncompressable data write speeds than you would on the corsair one for 10 bucks more. Considering you are getting a 30 dollar rebate on the corsair model vs a 40 dollar rebate on the patriot SSD, you are getting a much better bang for your buck.

I don't know what to say about the hard drive. Something is seriously fishy. A 2 TB hard drive that costs 170, when the only other 2TB drives at the same price are green editions, and a slower drive made by a worse company is 50 bucks more?????? Not only that, but there seems to be a surprisingly high amount of DOA reviews of it. I call bull shi*. Call me crazy or paranoid, but I would just think about getting a second one of the drives I told you to get for storage. You are more than welcome to take a chance. My feelings could be totally wrong. But if that thing fails, don't say I didn't warn you.

Ram is good

For god sakes, torrent windows 7. I swear to god you won't get sued, and you save 140 bucks.

Water cooling your GPU is probably not going to be needed straight away. More than likely the time will come when you decide you will cool it, but I don't think that time is now for a couple of reasons. The idea of water cooling a GPU revolves around 3 things. 1: overclocking 2: keeping the PC quiet and 3: looks cool. I do not think you will be overclocking your GPU beyond such a massive limit that your will need water cooling right away. Air cooling the GPU will overclock the card enough for you to get your overclocking kicks for the moment. It is nice though because it keeps your PC quiet. A lot of the times the fan on the GPU will ramp wayyyyy up on certain games, and if the fan ever reaches 100%......well let me put it this way. With ear phones issued to the Marines for shooting (and I have tested this) I can still hear my GPU fan at 100%. You don't want to go there, however, I do not think you will get to that point as long as you play your video game within your cards limits. However, water cooling does look pretty sweet when you do it right, which means the GPU has to be part of that equation.

If you were to do it, I would say that you would need to cut out your hard drive cages and mount a 240mm rad there. Which can be done, and well too. Then run the whole thing on one loop. It would go reservoir-pump-radiator-cpu-second radiator-GPU(s)-back to the reservoir. You could do it, but no offense, you are still inexperienced. Even if you could do the water cooling perfectly (which I am sure you could), you would be drilling out rivets and mounting things awkwardly, and it could end up a huge mess. Considering this is your first time water cooling, you should probably get your feet wet with a basic set up, and then graduate into GPU cooling.

That is not to say the option isn't yours. If you have a natural talent for this stuff, I can give you a couple of guides on how to mod the 650D and I will stand by to give you help any way I can. But considering you don't NEED it like some other people I know, and that this is your first time water cooling, I would stay away from it for the moment.

I will say this though. You could do better for water cooling. I have been giving it a lot of thought, and I will give you a part list as an option available to you. You can still go with the kit, and you would have a great experience with it, but you might prefer doing it this way instead.

............................well never mind. My internet is being stupid. I will get you a part list probably tomorrow when my internet will load web pages again.

Other wise, this build is really starting to shape up. I would really like it if you could find a color combo that you like though and share it. Red/black, Green/black, Purple/black, and Blue/black are all fan favorites, but maybe you like something more sporty like green yellow or orange and blue. If you could come up with what would be your own personal wishes for what this pc will look like, I think we could finish this PC up with some personal flare. Remember, PCs aren't about making a working product. It is about making your neighbor jealous. :P

I agree with most of tjjs new suggestions, but either psu would be fine.

Either motherboard would also be fine. In terms of GPUs IVY isn't going to do a whole lot for the PCIe bandwidth. If I had to guess it will be a while for cards to fully utilize the PCIe 3.0 bandwidth.

As for the HDD, I've never had any problems with any seagate drives. (Even the 7200.11 drives that were supposed to be buggy, so as long as its a new drive you should be good there.)

DO NOT TORRENT WINDOWS UNLESS YOU HAVE A LEGAL CD KEY.

@tjj I don't even know why you'd suggest that. I also suggest that you remove that part of the post because blatently talking about piracy like that is against the forum rules.

I am sorry to say this Tjj but I will not be Torrenting Windows. The last time I torrented I got cought and was almost droped by my internet service provider. Came home one day and the internet would not work and told me to call my ISP. When I called they knew exactly where the files were and told me that if they cought me torrenting again then I would be dropped. There is only one ISP out here so I dont want to be dropped. Oh and if you read the forum it clearly says not to do anything illegal. :rtfm: :rtfm:

When it comes to color I like Blacks, Dark blues, Reds, and Screaming yellow (Must be like a lambo yellow. Cant stand light yellow colors.). I really dont know what you can do with colors other then to buy parts by color but I would rather buy parts by performence. When it comes to the water cooler colors I am going with clear as I do not want any deposits clogging up my system.

When I buy the parts I am going to shop around at different sites for the best price. Are there any sites that I should avoid?

As far as water cooling goes I am going to avoid the GPU for now. Maybe I will expirement with it when the card is a couple years old and ready for replacement.

I am sorry to say this Tjj but I will not be Torrenting Windows. The last time I torrented I got caught and was almost dropped by my internet service provider. Came home one day and the internet would not work and told me to call my ISP. When I called they knew exactly where the files were and told me that if they caught me torrenting again then I would be dropped. There is only one ISP out here so I don't want to be dropped. Oh and if you read the forum it clearly says not to do anything illegal. :rtfm: :rtfm:

When it comes to color I like Blacks, Dark blues, Reds, and Screaming yellow (Must be like a lambo yellow. Cant stand light yellow colors.). I really dont know what you can do with colors other then to buy parts by color but I would rather buy parts by performance. When it comes to the water cooler colors I am going with clear as I do not want any deposits clogging up my system.

When I buy the parts I am going to shop around at different sites for the best price. Are there any sites that I should avoid?

As far as water cooling goes I am going to avoid the GPU for now. Maybe I will experiment with it when the card is a couple years old and ready for replacement.

Few things. I found you a better deal on the Corsair 650D http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58078&vpn=CC650DW&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1301 Soon I shall beat stonerboy at bargain hunting :P . Now watch stonerboy will find you the case for sale for a rope and a pack of gum :rofl:

Ahhhhhhhhhh so you were seeding. Seeding is how they catch you. Oh well, have you thought about linux then?

With water cooling, you most certainly can have colors. I know what you are saying about the deposits, but it is a preconception. Lower quality dies make deposits. But stuff from like mayhem dies or any custom die made from a die hard water cooling fan is going to be perfectly fine. The other thing to stay away from would be glow in the dark die. This is different from like UV reactive die because it is much lower quality. Basically, avoid anything that adds to the viscosity of the fluid and you will be fine, but I will have some recommendations below that are died and won't cause build up.

And OHHHHHHHHH there is a lot you can do for color, and still keep performance WAY up.

Blue/Black

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130610

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14049/cab-566/Bitfenix_Alchemy_Multisleeve_24-Pin_ATX_Extension_Cable_-_30cm_-_Blue_BFA-MSC-24ATX45BK-RP.html?tl=g2c537s1534

Or

You can get thin gauge blue and black cable sleeving and heat shrink wrap and do it yourself. You could then do it in blue and black for each wire. It would be a HUGE HUGE HUGE pain. Because for something like a 24 pin power connector, an 8 pin cpu connector, a 6/8 pin connector for the video card x2, and some fan wires along with miscellaneous wires you are up to about 50 individual wires to sleeve. Now that is a massive job, and you could end up pulling out all your hair, BUT (and this is a massively big but) there is a beast of a pay off. It looks so good that I would not have a PC build any other way. However, it is totally up to you.

If you are interested in sleeving, but you aren't sure if you want all the aches and pains that go with it. Try getting only your favorite color choice (ie red, blue, yellow) of cable sleeving. Take out one PCI-E 8 pin cable (since the PSU comes with an extra one) and sleeve ONLY the yellow wires. This way what will be left is the black wire, so you will have cables sleeving color and black wire to give you an idea of what it would look like. No harm to you since it is an extra cable any ways and you don't have to buy two kits right away. Pretty clever eh? :D

For the video card it is a little bit harder to get a good looking blue card, so I would stick with a cooler like the MSI stuff. The cool heat pipes and engineer-y look of it will distract from the fact that it doesn't match.

Ram, you would loose a bit of performance, and I wouldn't recommend it to a first time builder since that mushkin ram is near bullet proof but.....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127575 AND http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Now that is not me telling you to go an do that, I am just saying that personal aesthetics can be added into your pc without loosing any sort of real performance.

Fans are also a crucial key, and more than likely you will want to change your fans anyways. Not because than fans you have or will be getting with the water cooling kit aren't good, it is just that they are not cool :Phttp://www.xoxide.com/bitfenix-spectre120cfan-blue.html these are really good fans. They add a real nice touch to any build.

Lastly we have a good led strip: http://www.xoxide.com/nzxt-sleeved-led2m-blue.html blue or white LEDs can really accent a good PC build. Really shows a sign of care and craft to your PC.

Now obviously this can be done with load of different colors. Yellow though is th hardest one to accomplish since the color always gets washed out. There are no yellow motherboards, ram, good led fans, and good led strips I can think of. HOWEVER, you can buy a black PCB motherboard and accent it with yellow. Zotac makes some nice video cards, and yellow seems to be their favorite color :thumbsup:

Now as for that water cooling loop I promised you.

Radiator

pump/reservoir

3/8'' tubbing of your color choice, and 3/8'' barbs to go along with it. 8 compression fittings. 6 for the actual build, 2 just in case I missed something or one leaks. I didn't give you recommendations because it is pretty obligatory as to what you buy. As long as the size and color is what you want, then who cares.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14545/ex-blc-1009/Swiftech_Limited_Edition_Apogee_HD_High_Performance_4-Port_CPU_Waterblock_-_24k_Gold_Plated_-_Intel_LGA_2011_Included_AMD_Ready_Apogee-HD-LMTGE.html?tl=g30c85s139

This block costs 10 bucks more than the one I would normally suggest, and you get real 24K gold plating on your block. It is limited edition and I doubt we will see anything like it ever again, so buy it while you can :thumbsup:

Ok....well I was going to recommend you some awesome Mayhem dyes and liquid, but I don't know if they ship to the US. It looks like they do, but for some reason my purchase wasn't going through. So I wrote them an Email, and hopefully I will hear back. If I do I will update this post.