Its finally done! Pics and Benchmarks soon to come.

DrDigitized2

@tjj,

I don't understand why your willing to spend hundreds of dollars on hardware, but not $100-140 on software. If your really don't like the pricing on Windows, become a technet subscriber.

As for deposits they can easily be prevented with certain dyes, Biocides, and silver kill coils.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will always pick coloured tubing over coloured coolant. Nd just run distilled water with a kill coil, the colour tubing tends to cost the same as clear tubing.

No jargon hunting when at work on the mobile and mythos is the one to beat.

@tjj,

I don't understand why your willing to spend hundreds of dollars on hardware, but not $100-140 on software. If your really don't like the pricing on Windows, become a technet subscriber.

As for deposits they can easily be prevented with certain dyes, Biocides, and silver kill coils.

Simple. So I can spend that 140 dollars on more tech. :P

What it really stems from is the darned security codes. I do so many formats and other things that I need a key gen because the key that I payed for always goes kaput after a couple of fresh installs.

I always pay for windows 7 per computer. So if we have 3 PCs I will pay for 3 codes and hope they last. When they do die though, I like to have the flexibility of a few ISO files. Unfortunately most of them were on flash drives and they went through the wash :cry:

My thing is that I am not opposed to paying for something like Windows 7, but microsoft has gotten so freaking anal about pirating that there is no flexibility for things like fresh installs, that it has driven me into pirating ISO files.

The other thing is their tech support. OH MY GOD. You know that about half or more of what you pay for with an OS is for paying tech support. Microsoft has to be THE WORST tech support on the planet. I try to approach them about their code magically not working on a fresh install on the same hard drive. First you have to gi through a whole .* ton of automated nonsense just to get a message saying that due to a holiday in india tech support ins't available. Then I wait a day or two, and do it ALLLLLLL over again to hear that I need to purchase windows 7 again. That is all the people are trained to do. They are only trained to tell you that you are screwed and you need to buy another copy. Now I remember back when windows 95 was out, they would jump through hoop after hoop to help you. I bought a lot of 95 licenses. I am not buying another windows 7 license if the CS is that crappy.

So basically I pay for it to be on the up and up "theoretically" and I pirate extra ISOs to be my own tech support. If windows 7 were about 85 dollars less and still had the same crappy CS then I would buy 9 license keys right now, or if they wanted to keep the same price and fire every single CS agent and have ASUS hire CS representatives for them then I would pay for it. However, right now you aren't getting what you payed for at all, so torrenting the dang OS is fine in my book.

To sum it up I guess you could think of it as me boycotting Microsoft.

Simple. So I can spend that 140 dollars on more tech. :P

What it really stems from is the darned security codes. I do so many formats and other things that I need a key gen because the key that I payed for always goes kaput after a couple of fresh installs.

I always pay for windows 7 per computer. So if we have 3 PCs I will pay for 3 codes and hope they last. When they do die though, I like to have the flexibility of a few ISO files. Unfortunately most of them were on flash drives and they went through the wash :cry:

My thing is that I am not opposed to paying for something like Windows 7, but microsoft has gotten so freaking anal about pirating that there is no flexibility for things like fresh installs, that it has driven me into pirating ISO files.

The other thing is their tech support. OH MY GOD. You know that about half or more of what you pay for with an OS is for paying tech support. Microsoft has to be THE WORST tech support on the planet. I try to approach them about their code magically not working on a fresh install on the same hard drive. First you have to gi through a whole .* ton of automated nonsense just to get a message saying that due to a holiday in india tech support ins't available. Then I wait a day or two, and do it ALLLLLLL over again to hear that I need to purchase windows 7 again. That is all the people are trained to do. They are only trained to tell you that you are screwed and you need to buy another copy. Now I remember back when windows 95 was out, they would jump through hoop after hoop to help you. I bought a lot of 95 licenses. I am not buying another windows 7 license if the CS is that crappy.

So basically I pay for it to be on the up and up "theoretically" and I pirate extra ISOs to be my own tech support. If windows 7 were about 85 dollars less and still had the same crappy CS then I would buy 9 license keys right now, or if they wanted to keep the same price and fire every single CS agent and have ASUS hire CS representatives for them then I would pay for it. However, right now you aren't getting what you payed for at all, so torrenting the dang OS is fine in my book.

To sum it up I guess you could think of it as me boycotting Microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't care if you torrent the OS. They even offer the download on their website, what they care about is the license.

If you do mulitple installs technet is definitely something you should consider.

But even then, if you're using the OEM version you should be able to reinstall multiple times anyway.

But even then, if you're using the OEM version you should be able to reinstall multiple times anyway.

See and that is what you would think right? However, I called them up and they said you can't do multiple installs which is why my key isn't working. Now that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life, or microsoft is really that anal about keys these days.

I will look into tech net though. It seems like they have a good system going. Thanks for the suggestion

Well Tjj. I like all the options you showed me but some of that stuff cost more money and it takes time. I am going to want to play with this thing as soon as I can. My pc went down about 8 months ago and I miss it so much. It may have not been the best anymore but it was better then the computer that I am barrowing. Dude its a Dell.(POS!!!!) Plus I just moved to the state of Kansas in a small town of less then 400 people. I do not have friends yet to make jellous. :( So this is only for me and my wife to really enjoy.

The reason I was initaly against adding color to the water cooling is that I read on OCC that it could add diposits and interupt the flow causing cooling problems. But if you guys say its safe with dye from say Mayhem then I will look into it. Color would be cool.

Now I am going to be spending around 2k on this build. Say if I were to buy it all from one place like newegg. Do you think that if I gave them a call and told them that I was going to buy everything from them at one time they would give me a discount or maybe a gift card/ free item? I am sure that if they said no I could find half of it at other websites for about the same or cheeper. So I think it would be in there best intrest to work with me. Anyone have any exp doing something like that?

Now I am going to be spending around 2k on this build. Say if I were to buy it all from one place like newegg. Do you think that if I gave them a call and told them that I was going to buy everything from them at one time they would give me a discount or maybe a gift card/ free item? I am sure that if they said no I could find half of it at other websites for about the same or cheeper. So I think it would be in there best intrest to work with me. Anyone have any exp doing something like that?

I have no idea, but I would definitely say give it a shot and then let us know. I've always experienced great customer service with Newegg, so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did do something like this. However it is a business, and these $2k builds aren't that unusual.

Well Tjj. I like all the options you showed me but some of that stuff cost more money and it takes time. I am going to want to play with this thing as soon as I can. My pc went down about 8 months ago and I miss it so much. It may have not been the best anymore but it was better then the computer that I am barrowing. Dude its a Dell.(POS!!!!) Plus I just moved to the state of Kansas in a small town of less then 400 people. I do not have friends yet to make jellous. :( So this is only for me and my wife to really enjoy.

The reason I was initaly against adding color to the water cooling is that I read on OCC that it could add diposits and interupt the flow causing cooling problems. But if you guys say its safe with dye from say Mayhem then I will look into it. Color would be cool.

Yeah I get it man. Believe me I get it :lol: I used to live in Edmond Oklahoma which couldn't be more than a 9 hours drive from you. PREETY boring isn't it?

As long as you take the hardware pieces and parts into consideration you will be better off.

As for the newegg thing......yeah no. You can ask them to price match to Tiger direct though. That will work. But to ask a company that has seen people spend 3K on one item to give you a break for a bunch of stuff that costs 2K, I think you have a snow balls chance in hell.

Top companies to buy from though

Newegg

Microcenter (you have one 4-5 hours away and it is worth the investment in gas and time because you can make up enough of the money by buying your CPU there since they are dirt cheap, but it gives you an opprotunity to get your hands on the product that you want to buy. So for instance, if you go and say WOW I HATE THE 650D ((((which is highly unlikely))))) then you can avoid shipping and restocking fees from newegg. Plus it is just an awesome store. You will have a lot of fun there. But as always it is your choice. )

Tiger Direct

Mono Price

Frozen CPU

Xodize

NCIX

And there are probably a billion others I a forgetting. In the computer world, a good company is one that doesn't take your money and run my friend. ;)

Just wanted to show you guys a video I found on overclocking the i5 2500k to 4.8ghz using the ASRock Fatal1ty z68 Motherboard. I am planing on going with that board mainly for looks and all the reviews I have read about it give it thumbs up. I know in the last half of the video it gets hard to see the screen but I just wanted to know if this looked like a good setup for OC or is he full of crap.

BTW, Thanks Tjj for stearing me away from Air cooled CPUs. This guys air cooler is so massive you cant see the Motherboard.

Yeah air cooling is not the best. :lol:

Don't bother with tutorials yet. For the moment they are useless. You need your PC up and running for you to be able to follow along. Every chip overclocks differently. So just because you saw a tutorial that used a certain voltage for a certain CPU speed doesn't that you will get the same results. Just understand the layout of the BIOS and the names of the variables from the video. Leave the rest to tinkering around with it in your free time.

Check this out

Its a Swiftech water cooler kit. I am looking at getting the H2O-220 Edge. I know it cost a bit more and I know that I wont be water cooling my Ram (Not really sure if you would benefit from water cooling your ram) or GPU right away but I plan on doing it one day and think that this system could handle it.

Also I am hung up on 3 Cases. The Corsair 650D, Corsair 800D, and the Thermaltake Level 10 GT case.

My favorite out of the 3 based on looks is the Thermaltake Level 10 GT. I also like that the fan on the door has a cable in the door for faster connecting and reconnecting. The hot swapable drives are nice as well although I dont know if I will ever use them. Once I buy a HDD or SSD I will just use them until they die or keep adding more as the need for space continues. The fan at the top could be removed to put in a dual 120mm radiator. It also has nice removable dust filters. The handle is another plus.

The Corsair 650D is a good choice as well because it is about $80 to $100 cheaper then the other 2. It also has room to put a dual 120mm radiator at top as well. The removable dust filters are a plus as well. The case looks sturdy enough and the all black scheme is nice and gives it a sleek appearance.

Now the reason the Corsair 800D is up here is because the it has pleantly of room to to expand and play with. It has most of the features the other two have. But the #1 reason I like it is because it would hold a Triple 120mm radiator at the top, a single 120mm at the bottom, or a duel 120mm at the bottom if I take out the HDD enclosures at the bottom. Just thinking about the future. Also it might be just a tad bit over kill but who doesn't like that. :evilgrin:

Well those are my choices. Still trying to figure out which one I like the most and for what reasons.