Sign in to follow this  
Kingfisher

Power supply or motherboard

I am replacing parts in my sig with i5 2500k , intel dz68db mobo and patriot ddr3 1600(2x4)

I did basic test set up with mobo on cardboard CPU and 1 stick of ram in dimm1 per motherboard manual.

Connected CPU and 24 pin connectors and CPU fan to its header.

Power up and nothing but the standby light on mobo. Built in speaker didn't beep either.

Unplugged everything , took battery out for five min , and still nothing but little green light on mobo.

I re install my old system(in sig) and it does same thing. Just the little green light.

I take battery out and clear jumper and nothing.

I think it's time for a break. I come back hour later and press case start button and still nothing. I flip the rocker switch on back of power supply and nothing.

I wait another ten minutes and I flip the rocker switch and my old system(in sig) lights right up and boots into windows.

I'm ready to rma the motherboard but can't help but think maybe it's my power supply or something really strange.

I plan on testing the supply wih a volt meter but do not have the time until Tomorrow.

It's about 4 yr old FSP Group

Edited by Kingfisher

Something may be grounding out. If not I would say motherboard id DOA. It unfortunately happens.

If your getting the same thing from two different set ups using the same psu looks like you have found the problem. Do you have or can you get another psu ?

Do the voltage checks as you mentioned but I think you will be needing a new psu. Newegg has the Corsair HX 1050 on sale ,reviewed here. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_hx1050/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139034

Free shipping ,199 price and a 30 dollar gift egg card. Good deal. The same unit goes for 253 out the door at Microcenter.

Good Luck. Hope you get it fixed soon ;)

If your getting the same thing from two different set ups using the same psu looks like you have found the problem. Do you have or can you get another psu ?

Do the voltage checks as you mentioned but I think you will be needing a new psu. Newegg has the Corsair HX 1050 on sale ,reviewed here. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_hx1050/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139034

Free shipping ,199 price and a 30 dollar gift egg card. Good deal. The same unit goes for 253 out the door at Microcenter.

Good Luck. Hope you get it fixed soon ;)

Sort of the same thing, the difference is my current asus board will behave like its dead (has done this every time I clear CMOS) and then atart adter a few secondsand the intel board is just plain dead.

The only thing was maybe I was a bit impatient this time.

I am returning the intel board and will pick up an Asrock extreme 3 gen3 board. I tested the psu and it tested out fine.

If somehow the Asrock board doesn't start up then I'll go ahead and replace the psu (and buy a Dell) j/k.

Thanks for te tips gang :)

Use a jumper on the psu and pick up a cheap multimeter. The multimeter last forever and it is a good tool to have. Test the PSU with a multimeter or bring it to a computer shop for them to test it. Problem solved.

Use a jumper on the psu and pick up a cheap multimeter. The multimeter last forever and it is a good tool to have. Test the PSU with a multimeter or bring it to a computer shop for them to test it. Problem solved.

Agreed. They have some good multimeters at radio shack. Always a good tool to have if you build computers or do electrical work.

:withstupid:

Multimeter is an essential thing to have.

Sort of the same thing, the difference is my current asus board will behave like its dead (has done this every time I clear CMOS) and then atart adter a few secondsand the intel board is just plain dead.

The only thing was maybe I was a bit impatient this time.

I am returning the intel board and will pick up an Asrock extreme 3 gen3 board. I tested the psu and it tested out fine.

If somehow the Asrock board doesn't start up then I'll go ahead and replace the psu (and buy a Dell) j/k.

Thanks for te tips gang :)

I did test my psu gang :)

Replacement board comes tomorrow so I can finally get my new hardware up and going, assuming this board isn't doa like the last one.

Edited by Kingfisher

Curiously I have found out my power supply though not completely dead can't seem to boot up any motherboard I tried except my old Asus p5q pro.

I bought a Corsair gs600 and everything fired up on my new build. I do recall one of my USB ports shorted out about a year ago on that board. Maybe it killed something inside the PSU. /shrug.

Ummm. Ok...