i5 2500K OC

trace_87

Unless the revised IBT, it never stressed all cores 100% for a short time each pass. It was very short and I tested a few years ago IBT, LYNX and prime95. IBT was passing while LYNX and prime95 was failing overclocks. Take it for what is worth but stability is in the eyes of the user. I just want to press my chips hard as possible. LYNX presses 100% on the cores much longer.

I'm using LinX over IBT primarily because I had to crank the vcore up so much higher to achieve stability with IBT (stable 45 multi required 1.41). I'm hoping that p95 and LinX work out fine.

I kept pushing to stabilize the 47 multi, and I did. Unfortunately, that was at 1.455 vcore in bios, 1.312 max vdroop which went to 75C.

So I guess for now I will stick with 46 multi. 1.41 bios / 1.280 max vdroop / 70C. Ran an hour of p95 blend and 5 LinX passes so far.

Maybe I will get bored one day and lap my HSF or something, but I guess this is where I'm gonna stop tweaking for now.

Now that this issue is close to being resolved, I wonder what your guys thoughts are on overclocking memory. I'm considering pushing either timings or freq at stock voltage once this is stable.

Edited by trace_87

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also a big fan of LinX for stability testing! But, you have to think that even at the 47 multi hitting 75C, that's at 100% load basically the whole time, and well within a safe range for temps. You prob don't want to push it much further w/o a different cooling solution, but I would be very comfortable with 75C during a LinX run, especially since you would never hit those temps using everyday programs or games! Is this rig for gaming? Cause you should see a decent drop in max temps while gaming since your cpu isn't going to be as stressed ;) Open up real temp next time you are gaming and see what the max temps would be for that 47 multi OC :thumbsup:

Also just for S and G's, I have pushed my 2600K to 1.58V before acting crazy just to see what kind of OC I could get on my custom water loop. My point is 1.455 is a very safe voltage :biggrin:

I'm also a big fan of LinX for stability testing! But, you have to think that even at the 47 multi hitting 75C, that's at 100% load basically the whole time, and well within a safe range for temps. You prob don't want to push it much further w/o a different cooling solution, but I would be very comfortable with 75C during a LinX run, especially since you would never hit those temps using everyday programs or games! Is this rig for gaming? Cause you should see a decent drop in max temps while gaming since your cpu isn't going to be as stressed ;) Open up real temp next time you are gaming and see what the max temps would be for that 47 multi OC :thumbsup:

Also just for S and G's, I have pushed my 2600K to 1.58V before acting crazy just to see what kind of OC I could get on my custom water loop. My point is 1.455 is a very safe voltage :biggrin:

This is really encouraging to hear. Maybe I'm not stuck at 46.

I use the machine primarily for gaming and video encodes. IIRC, the encodes push it about as hard as p95 does. I may end up choosing based on encode temps.

yup. No need to run all 3 stress tests. 20 passes on Lynx is ample but if you want to be certain, run 100 passes on max memory. That is stable to put anything thru the system.

BTW, Sandybridge is straightfoward. You do not have to tune voltages. Dial in your multi on turbo and put the voltages on auto and let the board take over. It is so simple, a caveman can do it! Then stress the system to see what load temps are.....

yup. No need to run all 3 stress tests. 20 passes on Lynx is ample but if you want to be certain, run 100 passes on max memory. That is stable to put anything thru the system.

BTW, Sandybridge is straightfoward. You do not have to tune voltages. Dial in your multi on turbo and put the voltages on auto and let the board take over. It is so simple, a caveman can do it! Then stress the system to see what load temps are.....

Exactly what I say :thumbsup: If it makes it through 20 passes of LinX the OC is pretty stable! Dr. I did use auto for voltages at 1st. But, then I like to start backing them down from where the auto sets it at to see what I can get away with and how low I can go keeping it stable ;)

I'm afraid auto voltage will make my OC quite inefficient.

EDIT: ^What he said.

Edited by trace_87

Exactly what I say :thumbsup: If it makes it through 20 passes of LinX the OC is pretty stable! Dr. I did use auto for voltages at 1st. But, then I like to start backing them down from where the auto sets it at to see what I can get away with and how low I can go keeping it stable ;)

Smart!

I'm afraid auto voltage will make my OC quite inefficient.

EDIT: ^What he said.

Then slowly back them down until it is unstable. Effective method. In My case i use custom water and my temps rock so i am set. I use the smart button!

2011-toyota-avalon-limited-start-stop-engine-button.png

It looks like if I run 47 multi I would sit at 68c and lower when I'm encoding.

I run a few encodes a week and they can take between 3 and 10 hours pretty much 100% load throughout.

Do you think I would be damaging the CPU over time at temps like this (at 46 they max at 63c).