Sign in to follow this  
trace_87

i5 2500K OC

Keep the temperature as low as possible. Don't use over the manufacture recommended voltage and talk to poeple about the sb overclocked chip. They would be able to tell you what to do and definatly what not to do. .. the rest will be up to the chip as far as a life span.

I'm not worried about my temps at all. I'm loading at around 56C.

Config:

i5 2500K

8gb G.Skill DDR3 1600

Radeon 5770 @ 925 / 1400

ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68

Crucial m4 64gb SSD

Antec 300 case

OCZ SilentXStream 600W PSU

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

BIOS Settings Altered:

Turbo Boost Power Limit: 300 (short) 300 (long) 1 (whatever third option is)

Core Current Limit: 150

LLC: 5 (Stock but notable)

Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PLL Overvolatge: Enabled

My system runs perfectly @ 44 multi / 1.33 (1.216 load) vCore (fixed) / 65C Load (hottest core IBT max) / ran 10 IBT passes / 9hr p95 blend

To get it stable at 45 multi, I have to crank the vCore to 1.41 (1.264 load). Here it maxes out at 78C, which is as far as I felt comfortable pushing it before asking here.

I will probably end up running at 44 multi, but I wanna test it out some more.

What are the max safe temps you would recommend for IBT stress tests? Under normal use, the hottest it gets is about 8-10C less than IBT load temps.

Do you see any errors in my BIOS settings? I may go back later to mess with offset voltage, but I don't see it being necessary for this.

Or, I could ignore IBT altogether and try to find stability through p95. I feel like this stresses the system as much as I can through normal use. I'm sure I could lower the voltage a ton to achieve p95 stability.

Edited by trace_87

IBT is a weak stress test. It stresses all cores very briefly each pass. Use Lynx.

IBT is a weak stress test. It stresses all cores very briefly each pass. Use Lynx.

It hasn't seemed weak at all to me. It runs 10c hotter than any other stresser I've tried.

Do you mean Linx? Isn't that basically just a different GUI from IBT? They both run Linpack.

I suppose it's worth a shot.

EDIT: Linx only pushes my hottest core to 69c. I bet I can just stay at this voltage and up the multi to 46 or 47 and be stable with it.

Edited by trace_87

Yes, you can use 46 consistently if the temperature remains in the range you have mentioned above.

47 multi / 1.425 BIOS vCore / 74c

max vdroop takes it to 1.288

I will probably run p95 blend overnight.

Should I be playing around with custom PLL and VTT voltages? Perhaps I could run it a bit more efficiently.

If this turns out to be stable, I will probably stick at 47 multi. The temps are about where I want them.

xSD6a.jpg

Edited by trace_87

Should I be playing around with custom PLL and VTT voltages? Perhaps I could run it a bit more efficiently.

If prime95 runs with any problem with your present config for at least 3-4 hours, then I don't think you nedd to change anything. If not, then there is nothing wrong with trying. ;)

I wouldn't worry about VTT, but I've adjusted my CPU PLL Voltage down to 1.55V's (from auto that puts it at around 1.8V's?) and it didn't affect my stability.

I wouldn't worry about VTT, but I've adjusted my CPU PLL Voltage down to 1.55V's (from auto that puts it at around 1.8V's?) and it didn't affect my stability.

That's good to know. I guess I will forget about tweaking that for now.

I have the same CPU, motherboard but m cooler is the cooler master 212 Evo.

I'm going to be setting mine up here shortly. Good post , I'll let you know where I'm at later on. Thanks for sharing!

By the way , what BIOS are you using?

Were you able to boot up with both sticks of RAM or only one stick?

Thanks

Edited by Kingfisher

It hasn't seemed weak at all to me. It runs 10c hotter than any other stresser I've tried.

Do you mean Linx? Isn't that basically just a different GUI from IBT? They both run Linpack.

I suppose it's worth a shot.

EDIT: Linx only pushes my hottest core to 69c. I bet I can just stay at this voltage and up the multi to 46 or 47 and be stable with it.

Unless the revised IBT, it never stressed all cores 100% for a short time each pass. It was very short and I tested a few years ago IBT, LYNX and prime95. IBT was passing while LYNX and prime95 was failing overclocks. Take it for what is worth but stability is in the eyes of the user. I just want to press my chips hard as possible. LYNX presses 100% on the cores much longer.