i5 2500K OC

trace_87

I'm completely new to this Sandy Bridge overclocking thing, but I have a decent amount of experience with this sort of thing. I want to tell you what I've done to see if you see any errors in my method. I gathered all of my tips from random google searches and youtube videos.

Setup:

i5 2500K (Hyper 212 Evo)

ASRock Extreme3 Gen3

G.Skill 8gb 1600 9-9-9-24

Radeon HD 5770

OCZ SilentXStream 600W

Antec Three Hundred Case

Ambient Room: 65F - 68F

Idle Temp: 24C

BIOS Settings Altered (everything else is default):

Multi: 45

Fixed Vcore: 1.35v

Turbo Boost Power Limit: 250 (short) 200 (long) 1 (whatever third option is)

Core Current Limit: 200

LLC: 5 (Stock but notable)

Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Stress Test Method & Results:

Intel Burn Test: (4 threads, max stress, 10 pass (planning on running 50 tonight))

Load Vcore: 1.232 - 1.272

Max Load Temp: 60c

A few questions I have:

Is my stress testing method sufficient? Are you going to make me use P95?

Are my settings good? Do you have any recommendations or warnings? I really have no clue what I'm doing with the Turbo Boost Power Limit and Core Current Limit, do they look ok?

What settings do you foresee needing to be changed if I attempt a higher overclock (I will probably push it harder, maybe 65C load or so). I know I will probably have to enable PLL Overvoltage for anything much higher than this.

Is it OK that I'm using a Fixed Vcore? I've seen multiple places recommend using either LLC or an Offset. My initial preference is to leave it at Fixed and just work around the vdroop (that's what I've always done before).

I really want to try and keep the power saving options enabled, I plan on using this setup for a long time. Is there a problem with keeping these enabled?

Additional Turbo Voltage is an option that sounds extremely scary, is it OK that I've left it on Enabled/Auto?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by trace_87

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could, and you should. It'll add to the New Years Fireworks celebration. :evilgrin:

Just give the CPU about 1.7V. That should do the trick, right Capi? :evilgrin:

(It'll not be possible to hold me, Ecofriendly, responsible for any damage done to the chip, if my advice is followed :ph34r: )

Burntest is good to test the temp stability, p95 is great for seeing if youll run into blue screens.i would use both, as well as occt.

I would say a 4.7 OC is possible with that setup

Why occt in addition to burntest? Aren't they both linpack or whatever?

Yes, I'm being sarcastic about the 6ghz.

I've run into a few issues with this build.

My two 4pin atx connectors can't reach the jack when I have my video card installed. I bought two 4pin extensions but half doesn't fit the slot. I figure I have a few options:

Buy a new PSU with actual 8pin connectors (might need an extension too).

Mod the male part of a 4pin extension so it fits.

Run a low voltage overclock. This is what I'm currently doing. The vcore is set to 1.3 and nothing else is taking any additional power. I managed to get 4.2ghz at this voltage. It has been stable 7hr p95 blend and 20 passes of intel burntest 4core / max.

Am I pushing it with this config? Will I be damaging the mobo / PSU over time?

Keep the temperature as low as possible. Don't use over the manufacture recommended voltage and talk to poeple about the sb overclocked chip. They would be able to tell you what to do and definatly what not to do. .. the rest will be up to the chip as far as a life span.