Upgrading from my i5 build

Stubbz210

My current i5 build is pretty outdated, looking at building a new rig and giving my i5 PC to my gf' son. I'm on a bit of a budget, for my next build, but still want to take suggestions from yall to see what you think.

Heres the specs of my current i5 build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-760

RAM: 6GB DDR3-1333

Graphics: Zotac GTS 250 1GB GDDR3

HDD: 1TB Samsung Green 7200RPM

Case: Antec Three-Hundred

PSU: Antec 900W

Heatsink: Coolermaster V8

Mobo: MSI P55-GD65

My i7 build parts list:

Case: Fractal Design Define XL Titanium Grey

PSU: COUGAR-GX1050 1050W

Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3-1866

HDD-0: Corsair Force Series 3 180GB SATA III SSD

HDD-1: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARX 1TB

Vid Card: ASUS MATRIX GTX580

Monitor: 2x ASUS VE278Q Black 27"

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

NIC: VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100

Anyone have suggestions? Comments? Just looking for some friendly advice here. I plan to start doing my shopping shortly after the holidays. :)

** As a side note, the reason for the new rig is to be able to handle playing BF3 without many issues. I know I can play BF3 on my i5 build but not at the settings I'd like to play at.

Edited by Stubbz210

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you said you were on a budget! :P

Personally I think the only outdated thing in your i5 rig is the graphics card, but I guess its fair enough if you just want to upgrade. Your new build looks great, but there's still a few things I would change. Firstly, get yourself a z68 board instead of a p67 for the extra features. I would also swap the ram for something slower speed as there really won't be that much difference, and do you really need 16GB? If you plan to add a second gtx580 in the future then the psu makes sense but if not then you really don't need more than 700w.

Hope this helped :thumbsup:

I thought you said you were on a budget! :P

Personally I think the only outdated thing in your i5 rig is the graphics card, but I guess its fair enough if you just want to upgrade. Your new build looks great, but there's still a few things I would change. Firstly, get yourself a z68 board instead of a p67 for the extra features. I would also swap the ram for something slower speed as there really won't be that much difference, and do you really need 16GB? If you plan to add a second gtx580 in the future then the psu makes sense but if not then you really don't need more than 700w.

Hope this helped :thumbsup:

I am on a budget, but for now, that budget is > $3k. :P I know my i5 build is good but, I really want to give that pc to my kid so he can play BC2 without bothering me while I'm playing lol. I've looked into the Z68 boards, and found a couple of them that caught my eye. I still have time until I do my shopping, so I'll definitely look into that more. As for the 16GB, I do plan on running dual GTX580's which is why I went that route, considering buying the RAM now, is cheaper than buying the other vid card. I do quite a bit of multi-tasking on my PC, which is another reason for the 16GB, as well as the PSU. Your comments helped quite a bit, so thanks for your input. Like I said, Im open to suggestions, granted they be reasonable. I've been building computers since I was a kid, but I dont claim, or feel like I "know it all". :)

Can you wait for Ivy Bridge by any chance? You can get an awesome GPU boost from IB and the 7000 series of graphics cards from AMD. It is still 2 months away from a full release, but I hope you will consider waiting for it.

Otherwise, get a z68 board that supports PCI 3.0, a 120gb SSD with a 2281 sanforce controller rather than a 2200 one, and maybe a noctua nh-d14 instead of the frio.

Other than a couple of small tweaks, you have an awesome pc build right there.

You might want to think about getting your son a good cooler to run a good OC just for some performance headroom :biggrin:

Can you wait for Ivy Bridge by any chance? You can get an awesome GPU boost from IB and the 7000 series of graphics cards from AMD. It is still 2 months away from a full release, but I hope you will consider waiting for it.

Otherwise, get a z68 board that supports PCI 3.0, a 120gb SSD with a 2281 sanforce controller rather than a 2200 one, and maybe a noctua nh-d14 instead of the frio.

You might want to think about getting your son a good cooler to run a good OC just for some performance headroom :biggrin:

The new marvell controlled solid state drives are sweet. The green series drives do not provide a big enough power savings to justify the performance. Looks like a really solid build with room to grow on the video side. The P67 Sabretooth is a pretty decent board and just looks awesome.

The new marvell controlled solid state drives are sweet. The green series drives do not provide a big enough power savings to justify the performance. Looks like a really solid build with room to grow on the video side. The P67 Sabretooth is a pretty decent board and just looks awesome.

The X79 Sabertooth is better ;D

I guess it's for the gifting factor but your i5 isn't what I'd call an "outdated" machine at all (the 250GTS is the only weak part)...but since it's for the greater good....

I'd personally just go for the 2500K myself unless you're doing alot of CPU intensive tasks.

The Frio is fine, the D14 wouldn't be a big enough impovement to spring for more. Hell I'd recommend a 212+ or 212Evo because my friend's 2500K still overclocked nicely on one and they are pretty much the best for the money.

For motherboards, I've found MSI to have the best deals on P67s and my friend's was very easy to overclock.

I'd also recommend just getting two 1600mhz 4GB sticks of memory (cheapest you can get) since memory is memory is memory and the extra 8GB would be as useless as the 2600K unless you do heavy rendering and the like.

I'd also drop the dedicated sound card (personal opinion, since onboard nowadays is great) and DEFINITELY the dedicated NIC.

Is the caviar the cheapest storage drive around?? I've found WD drives rarely best deal but I'm too lazy to check now haha

I guess it's for the gifting factor but your i5 isn't what I'd call an "outdated" machine at all (the 250GTS is the only weak part)...but since it's for the greater good....

I'd personally just go for the 2500K myself unless you're doing alot of CPU intensive tasks.

The Frio is fine, the D14 wouldn't be a big enough impovement to spring for more. Hell I'd recommend a 212+ or 212Evo because my friend's 2500K still overclocked nicely on one and they are pretty much the best for the money.

For motherboards, I've found MSI to have the best deals on P67s and my friend's was very easy to overclock.

I'd also recommend just getting two 1600mhz 4GB sticks of memory (cheapest you can get) since memory is memory is memory and the extra 8GB would be as useless as the 2600K unless you do heavy rendering and the like.

I'd also drop the dedicated sound card (personal opinion, since onboard nowadays is great) and DEFINITELY the dedicated NIC.

Is the caviar the cheapest storage drive around?? I've found WD drives rarely best deal but I'm too lazy to check now haha

:withstupid:

On all points.

Have a look at 240th force 3 and vertex 3 or a 256 marvel m4 with the saved money. With my rec on the marvel due to its random 4k writes.

I can wait for Ivy Bridge, but right now I'm just in the planning phase of my build. Not set on a build date yet, so I still have time to wait if I decided to go with Ivy Bridge. You're the second person that's recommended a Z68 board, and I've been considering it, but, Im thinking Im probably going to stay with the P67, not sure yet, but time will tell, depends on if I can squeeze more money into my budget plan. As for the Noctua, a buddy of mine on another forum also recommended the D14, so I'm going to look into that also. As for the cooler for the i5, I'm not going to be OC'ing it for him, he doesn't need more than what its already pushing out. He just wants to be able to play BC2, and that game isnt very resource intense on that PC. Maybe though, you've given me an idea and now I'm starting to consider it... damn you! :)

I fell in love with that board when I saw it. ASUS always seems to grab my eye.

You're right about the "outdated", I guess what I meant to say was, it could use some upgrades in order to handle the beating it would take by playing BF3 as-is. I know I could get BF3 to play just fine on the i5 pc, but like I said, I wanna give that one away to my kid. I just have a fetish for building pc's... been a longtime hobby of mine since I was a kid myself. If I decide to stick with the i5 for myself, Im definitely going to get another mobo for it, most likely a ROG mobo, upgrade the RAM, and get a GTX580 for kicks. I have a 128GB SSD in my laptop thats being used as the host drive, but if need be, I can always just slap that in my PC instead of buying another one. I game a little on my laptop too though, which is why I want to get a dedicated SSD just for the PC. My laptop is an ASUS ROG series too. All of you guys gave some really good recommendations, and I cant thank you all enough. You're giving me some more options to think about, some that I didn't realize I had. Thanks. Hope you all had a good Christmas. :)

So, after some consideration, I've decided to just do some upgrades to the current i5 build, at least for now, until I'm ready to jump up to LGA 1155 or 2011. For now, the upgrades I plan to push to the i5 build are:

Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

HDD-0: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SATA III SSD

HDD-1: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Pretty much the only thing I'm not changing is my Case (Antec Three-Hundred), PSU (Antec HCP 850W), and Optical Drive (LiteOn DVDRW). I'm pretty sure though with these upgrades, I should be able to manage for a good amount of time playing BF3 on moderate settings at best... until I'm set on getting IB.

Whatcha think?

Edited by Stubbz210

So, after some consideration, I've decided to just do some upgrades to the current i5 build, at least for now, until I'm ready to jump up to LGA 1155 or 2011. For now, the upgrades I plan to push to the i5 build are:

Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

HDD-0: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SATA III SSD

HDD-1: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Pretty much the only thing I'm not changing is my Case (Antec Three-Hundred), PSU (Antec HCP 850W), and Optical Drive (LiteOn DVDRW). I'm pretty sure though with these upgrades, I should be able to manage for a good amount of time playing BF3 on moderate settings at best... until I'm set on getting IB.

Whatcha think?

You would be better off going with sandy bridge then. Your current CPU is not compatible with 1366, so the board wouldn't work. Dump the upgrade, save the money, and either go with a nice SB build, or go for an IB build in about 3-4 months.