Another Upgrade - LGA2011

Hey guys,

Yes , I know what you're thinking and yes you are right - I am upgrading again :P This time to LGA2011.

So this is what I've been thinking : Sell 2600k, Maximus IV Extreme-Z and 2nd 6970 + spare cash to get extra funds and then ask my parents for the rest.

Then I will have to buy 2011 parts. If I went 2011, I would get the i7 3930K since the 3960X is waaaay tooo much .

Now I need to think of a good motherboard to go with it.

The ASUS Rampage IV Extreme has really caught my eye - for its feature and its massive price on my screen :P

I want a board with good cooling (I heard the LGA2011 PCH and chipset get hot!) and with PCI-E 3.0 .

I wanted to find out opinions. Is there any other board that I should maybe look at ?

Oh and you might ask the reason for this upgrade. Its because Im stopping upgrading. I want a decent setup to last a good 4-5 years if Im lucky but at least 3-4 years.

I use to love my Q8300 3GHz and GTX260 - then I all of a sudden started upgrading rapidly. I just want a decent 6 core 12 thread setup which will last a long time and I will get a Kepler/7 series to last years as well so that I can focus on my 12th Grade year in two years time and on University afterwards.

So let me get this right, you're going to stop upgrading by upgrading? :lol:

But seriously though, my q9550 is nearly 4 years old and it's still more than enough for most games so I'd just stick with what you have now.

• Like 1

So let me get this right, you're going to stop upgrading by upgrading? :lol:

But seriously though, my q9550 is nearly 4 years old and it's still more than enough for most games so I'd just stick with what you have now.

Lol - I shall rather put it as my final upgrade lol :P

The quad cores at the time were kings - games didnt even use all 4 threads when they were first released.

2 cores in those days are like 4 cores now and 4 cores those days are 6 cores now - as games adapt to use more threads, 6 cores and 12 threads sounds enticing

Well actually maybe I do have other words but only because I will pretend that this isnt you Nyt.

Check out the Sabertooth and the motherboard waterblocks by Koolance for it get the 370 too and then 32gb of the Corsair Ram with the goldish heatspreader that will suit the Sabertooth board to a t.

Well actually maybe I do have other words but only because I will pretend that this isnt you Nyt.

Check out the Sabertooth and the motherboard waterblocks by Koolance for it get the 370 too and then 32gb of the Corsair Ram with the goldish heatspreader that will suit the Sabertooth board to a t.

I only want to upgrade the cpu and mobo not my WC or RAM :lol:

Yeah, but only money I earn from buying/selling components and computers (as a hobby/side gig), so it's like a free upgrade. :P

I earn my money by getting good marks in school :P

I earn my money by getting good marks in school :P

Get a holiday job and do what I did in my final year of school....

....go blow 10 hard earned grand on all sorts of crap.

Dont just mooch of your parents for these upgrades. I feel sorry for them :lol: