The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

bp9801

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't The LOTR really just one book though?

Yeah. There's a long explanation of that in the forward for my copy. They represent a single book, but I think it said the parts were released individually, totaling six volumes/books. In the text they are labelled Book Four and such, but it may be better to understand them as volumes.

Isn't The LOTR really just one book though?

LOTR is one book that same as Harry Potter, Twighlight, Song of Fire and Ice, The Hunger Games, et al. are one book - in other words, not :P

As Jim said, LOTR is basically a tale broken down into three volumes, each containing two "books". I'm sure you can find a single volume containing all six books, but for the most part, it's always been sold as a trilogy since it was first published.

LOTR is one book that same as Harry Potter, Twighlight, Song of Fire and Ice, The Hunger Games, et al. are one book - in other words, not :P

As Jim said, LOTR is basically a tale broken down into three volumes, each containing two "books". I'm sure you can find a single volume containing all six books, but for the most part, it's always been sold as a trilogy since it was first published.

Like this!

The Lord of the Rings was originally going to be one book of a two volume set, with The Silmarillion as the second book, but the publisher wanted Tolkien to break LotR into three separate books for economic reasons.

Sorry Clay but as Douglas A. Anderson immediately states in his "Note On The Text" for my copy of LOTR:

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings is often erroneously called a trilogy, when it is in fact a single novel, consisting of six books plus appendices, sometimes published in three volumes. (sic)

It may be broken up into a trilogy of three physical books, but the story itself does not represent a trilogy.

It may be broken up into a trilogy of three physical books, but the story itself does not represent a trilogy.

Sorry, but I fail to see the difference. It was first published as three separate books, thus, by definition, that's a trilogy. Just because it is a single story does not make it less so.

Sorry, but I fail to see the difference. It was first published as three separate books, thus, by definition, that's a trilogy. Just because it is a single story does not make it less so.

I guess so.

You can lump them all together without any real indication that they were a trilogy when published though.

I guess so.

You can lump them all together without any real indication that they were a trilogy when published though.

Which makes it quite different from at least the Harry Potter series (I haven't read the other books you listed earlier, Clay). Also, as bp pointed out, if the decision to release them as a trilogy was made by the publisher instead of Tolkien, then it is properly considered one book, not three. Just because I arbitrarily rip a book into three parts, at chapter points, does not make it a trilogy. Nor would ripping a book apart into its individual chapters make it an n-logy.

Lol @ this thread becoming an argumentative discussion about whether LOTR was a Trilogy or a Hexalogy (is that even a word?) or a single entity :D

Shouldn't we be arguing that the Hobbit is ONE book, ONE story and should be just ONE movie (two if they want to be super thorough with every detail of the ONE book)

On a somewhat related note I just watched the original LOTR animated movie (not Return of the King yet) but it was trippy, me and my friend then wiki'd its director and stumbled upon his other creation: Fritz the Cat.....do NOT watch Fritz the Cat :lol:

• 1 month later...

awesome trailer. Don't know about all this 3 movies for 1 book nonsense, really I don't care as long as the movies are good.

oh and BP told me to bump this thread or he's gonna ban me.

The second movie is probably going to be just the battle with Smaug, well, hopefully. :lol: It's what I hope happens.

And, I never threatened with a ban. Not like I can ban anyway. :P