Power Supply vs My Washing Machine

Edit zashman what country are you from? I'm baseing everything off of the USA as we run most things off 120v, if your in europe then most things run off of 220v but am unsure how they wire thing over there.

I would think a dryer (even if everything is 220v) would be on it's own circuit, I'm betting this is just general electrical interference.

RF interference from the motor brushes maybe?

Then again I believe large appliance motors would be permanent magnet motors.

:dunno:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked my box and it seems to all have individual wires, so I guess it must just be electrical interference.

The buzz is annoying, but I guess I will just have to turn my music up louder to ignore it :teehee:

Your storeys about being electrocuted are funny, I think the only thing I have ever done is licking a 9v battery at school just to see if I could get the day off. not much happened wasn't really worth it ;)

Ciao guys thanks for the help ;)

Sounds like there is possibly an earth issue, bad wiring OR even some loose connections in that power circuit somewhere... I know for a fact there are still houses here in Oz that don't even have the "industry standard" safety switches fitted yet (I live in one), being electrocuted is not humorous at all, it's like being hit in the chest with a sledge hammer with residual muscles spasm and fatigue soon to follow ;)

Could just be the large silver capacitor on the washing M/C motor, It should cut down radio interference. It may be on it's way out, but more than likely it's because of the close proximity of the W/M and your PC. try moving your PC to a different room away from the W/M and see if that helps.

One thing that is interesting is that high current shocks have a lower chance of killing you than that of shocks from 0.5-1A because they stop your heart completely (generally the heart is where an electric current usually passes through and this is the most common cause of death).

Now you might be wondering why that is a good thing? If you heart stops completely your brain can adjust to restart the heart easily enough but when you have a lower current shock - it's not sufficient enough to stop their heart completely but rather just cause it to spasm out of control. And your brain can't really do much about that.

This is why when you have a shock and get a heart attack as a result, the doctors zap you with a LARGER shock to resuscitate you.

[/random-info-for-the-day]

The higher the current, and hence voltage, the more likely it's going to kill you! A current above 50mA or so from a 50~60Hz AC supply or 500mA DC across the heart can cause fibrillation. The defibrillator is designed to actually stun or stop the heart in the hope that its natural pacemaker will kick in and restart it.