Cheap Upgrade

Rray

I'm surprised no one has recommended a CPU Cooler when the OP gets a motherboard that can overclock. The Athlon II is totally fine for gaming, it probably wont overclock too far but once maxed it will be quite a capable gaming machine. Believe me, I've built two Athlon II machines and they only had a 260 and 460 for a GPU. With a 6950, you'll have no trouble with anything. 700W is kind of excessive IMHO but if you have the extra to spend or the higher wattage model has a longer warranty than it may be worth it

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried calculating and the results were pretty obvious that I needed a 700W PSU.

With a AMD Athlon X4

My Motherboard

The 6950pi

1 4GB DDR3

DVD RW

7200 RPM 3.5" HDD

This http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html said that I needed 514W.

Safe to say, I need that FSP Aurum Gold. I'll just call my brother to buy one for me from Cebu.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

I wouldn't put too much trust in PSU calculator values - they usually state a wattage higher than necessary. I have found this one to be a bit more reliable but it still has the same issue.

They usually state the MAX power consumption possible which is a rare occurrence and then add a few watts on top of it to "play it safe".

Sounds good my friend hope you get it before the new year. Merry Christmas!

I'm surprised no one has recommended a CPU Cooler when the OP gets a motherboard that can overclock. The Athlon II is totally fine for gaming, it probably wont overclock too far but once maxed it will be quite a capable gaming machine. Believe me, I've built two Athlon II machines and they only had a 260 and 460 for a GPU. With a 6950, you'll have no trouble with anything. 700W is kind of excessive IMHO but if you have the extra to spend or the higher wattage model has a longer warranty than it may be worth it

Considering that you're the one who suggested about CPU coolers, which one would you recommend to a guy that doesn't really have much money to spare? :rolleyes:

XFX 6950 had warranty? Ivy is right lol but cooler pricing won't change much... web designer had to add pages for android browser...

I wouldn't put too much trust in PSU calculator values - they usually state a wattage higher than necessary. I have found this one to be a bit more reliable but it still has the same issue.

They usually state the MAX power consumption possible which is a rare occurrence and then add a few watts on top of it to "play it safe".

Sounds good my friend hope you get it before the new year. Merry Christmas!

Thanks! Merry Christmas indeed! :thumbsup::cheers:

Edited by Ray Ian

You should be fine running a quality 550W PSU with the Sapphire HD6950 2GB card. That card generally consumes 300-400W on load. But I would get a higher wattage PSU if I were you, because 500W is cutting it close (for my comfort at least). Another reason to get a slightly higher wattage PSU is because it is more cost efficient; since you won't need to shell out another $100+ for a PSU with a higher wattage if and when you decide to upgrade your rig (depending on what part you are upgrading).

Edited by PremiumAcc

Most likely, if I upgrade, I'd be going with something from AMD. I was even considering upgrading to the A6 or A8 llano chip, considering that they consume less energy compared to mine. If ever my brother can't buy the FSP Aurum Gold 700W, I'd probably go with the XFX Black Edition Modular 750W or so. Man. To think I still have to buy a new case. I'm gonna be broke for at least more than a week because of this. :mellow:

IMO, AMD has been falling behind the curve with its CPUs. You should look into Intel's IB. The TDP is very impressive. I just wish they would release it in Q1 instead of Q2 2012. But by the time you do decide to upgrade I think Intel's 14nm Broadwell will be released.

Edited by PremiumAcc