PSU: Cooler Master 850W

RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600

HDD: 1 TB 7200 rpm Backup drive

SDD: Kingston HyperX 240GB Solid State Main drive

DVD ROM: TSST DVD RW

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB

MB: EVGA Z68 FTW

CPU: i7 2600k

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (w/ arctic silver 5 thermal compound)

I am worried that I did not install my CPU cooler correctly. I installed some suggested software for monitoring and stress testing my CPU, CoreTemp and Intel BurnTest. I ran a stress test at 'standard' and 'high' settings on burntest. I have an idle of 32-36C, and a max temp of 61-62C at 100% load. Core 3 is showing an average of 8 degrees higher than the other cores(this processor is a 4 core, but the software only shows 3 for some reason).. I have read some product reviews on the cooler I am using, and I am seeing people say that they have temperatures a good 15-20 degrees under mine. Are they lying, or did I install my cooler incorrectly?

What numbers are considered 'good", 'safe', 'i should be concerned', and 'too high' for this processor?

Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How accurate are these software tools? I have always been told to trust my bios readings over any software, but since I cant stress/monitor the temps from the bios while I am using the computer, I have to resort to the software.

How did you apply your artic silver 5 (TIM)?

Load temps seem high if that is running stock. You may not have gotten an even spread on your TIM as 8° diff seems pretty large even though many programs will utitlize one core more than the rest.

It is definitely safe for you to run like that as Black said. But if that is before OC, than you won't have much room to OC.

I would say that I put more than enough thermal on it. No I didnt put too much, but I put more than I normally would. I did the line method instead of the dot. I put a line diagonal across the chip, and then 2 very very small dots on each side of the line. When I was trying to screw in my cooler, the thing moved a bit, but it never got lifted up off of the chip, it just slid a little bit. Right now I am only running 2 internet windows, skype, and steam with no games running, and my temp is 38C. That seems EXTREMELY high to me, i dont know why. In my mind, I think it should be around 19-22C right now. It breaks my heart that I have never (and probably will never) install a cpu cooler correctly. Ive installed this one once, and I tried to install my old on on it 4 times with no success lol. I am thinking about just sending it to the local computer superstore (microcenter) to have them just re-build my entire pc for me. I would rather lose more money than to have to constantly deal with problems. Every time I try to do something myself I always run into several problems.

Edited by ishyishy

My old stuff used to be under 20C when I first turned it on, then idles at around 24C, never went above 38 when gaming, and stayed from 26-29 after gaming at idle. I dont know why all of this new hardware is different. I must have installed it incorrectly. But, it is very hard for me to believe that I am incapable of installing a cpu cooler. I followed the instructions to the letter and never did anything illogical with it. I made sure to screw it in tight, but not tight enough to break/strip the screws.