7970 info leak

Muchoman1

Batman is still not fixed for AMD, oh well....

Maybe not the best example of getting the bugs worked out quickly, but also it is a PhysX game and seems to be coded more friendly for the green team :P

Like it has been said, each side has their own issues when it comes to drivers. I guess I have just been lucky with the games that I have played and my exp of not having and issues on the AMD side. I think the last time I can rem having a problem was with CF and DX10 acting crazy with Crysis on my 4870's. But, I think it was a short lived issue, however it has been awhile and I have slept alot since having those cards ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not the best example of getting the bugs worked out quickly, but also it is a PhysX game and seems to be coded more friendly for the green team :P

True but the first Batman plays fine on AMD cards go figure :lol:

True but the first Batman plays fine on AMD cards go figure :lol:

But wasn't Batman AA the one where people found graphics options were disabled for having an ATI/AMD card and not because it wasn't supported? I think someone just removed the "ATI Radeon" part of the device name with RivaTuner, or something like that, and suddenly an option (I think it was anti-aliasing, but can't remember) was no longer grayed out.

hmmmm I barely remember what I had for breakfast let alone way back then :lol:

I do remember something happening but I can't recall what the details were.

I found something on it: Batman: Arkham Asylum Enables AA Only on NVIDIA Hardware on PCs. Second paragraph.

I doubt nVidia has done that since, but it did throw the whole TWIMTBP program into hot water as people began to wonder if the games were optimized for nVidia or intentionally bugged for ATI/AMD.

I might have considered upgrading to this card if I didn't know that there will be probably 5-ish decent games released next year that won't be crappy console ports and can actually utilize the power. I can still run virtually every new game I have maxed out on my 9800GTX from 2008. The only games I have that my HD 5870 is useful for is Crysis (1), Metro 2033, Serious Sam 3, and ARMA II. Talk about major game tech stagnation. :doh:

I've made this argument before, but think back to Doom 1, released in 1993. 2D sprites, 2.5D engine, and it was revolutionary. 5 years later we get Half-Life: full 3D graphics, particle effects etc. That is a HUGE leap in technology. 5 years ago was 2006, and we got Gears of War (UE3), Half-life 2: EP1, Oblivion etc. Where are we today? Tons of new games coming out still built on UE3, Source (although upgraded slightly), and similarly aging tech, and still being built primarily to run on circa 2005 hardware. Consoles have killed technological development in games. :pfp:

Ok, sorry guys, rant over. :wallbash:

I have to run BF3 at medium settings with 2 x HD6850's. I can't max out Crysis 2 either. I'm sure there are also a few other games. Don't tell me a GTX9800 can max that out. -.-

I have to run BF3 at medium settings with 2 x HD6850's. I can't max out Crysis 2 either. I'm sure there are also a few other games. Don't tell me a GTX9800 can max that out. -.-

I didn't claim it could. I don't own either of those games. I was able to max out the Crysis 2 demo on it, but I've never tried the full version or the DX11 & Ultra texture pack. It can max out Starcraft 2, Aliens vs Predator, Mass Effect 2, Homefront, BF:BC 2, Serious Sam HDs, and even managed to play Metro 2033 at a mix of High & Very High options (obviously no DX11 options). I don't have every new game to test out, but most of the more recent stuff I have is easily playable maxed on that 4 year graphics card, which I find kind of odd. (that stuff that isn't I already listed).

In any case, I am awaiting Arma III, Metro: Last Light, and Diablo 3 next year, and those games might deserve some 7970 treatment :thumbsup: