7970 info leak

Muchoman1

so, apparently the 7970 will be hitting shops on the 22nd, which is alot of fun for me and im sure many others looking to upgrade

here is some leaked data, im not posting all the sites but the first few from a quick :google: search

i was hoping for 1ghz speed at stock, but i should hit that easily on wc, but the 3gb vram makes me gusta a little (ok a lot)

so heres hoping for some truly killer performance and even better scaling in 3-4 way cfx!

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/15/2639371/radeon-hd-7970-raw-specs-leak-out-3-5-tflops-3gb-on-board-memory-3w

http://www.guru3d.com/news/amd-radeon-hd-7970-specifications-leak-onto-the-web/

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-radeon-hd-7970-specifications-slide-leaked/14238.html

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have considered upgrading to this card if I didn't know that there will be probably 5-ish decent games released next year that won't be crappy console ports and can actually utilize the power. I can still run virtually every new game I have maxed out on my 9800GTX from 2008. The only games I have that my HD 5870 is useful for is Crysis (1), Metro 2033, Serious Sam 3, and ARMA II. Talk about major game tech stagnation. :doh:

I've made this argument before, but think back to Doom 1, released in 1993. 2D sprites, 2.5D engine, and it was revolutionary. 5 years later we get Half-Life: full 3D graphics, particle effects etc. That is a HUGE leap in technology. 5 years ago was 2006, and we got Gears of War (UE3), Half-life 2: EP1, Oblivion etc. Where are we today? Tons of new games coming out still built on UE3, Source (although upgraded slightly), and similarly aging tech, and still being built primarily to run on circa 2005 hardware. Consoles have killed technological development in games. :pfp:

Ok, sorry guys, rant over. :wallbash:

I wonder what happened with the HD 69XX cards. The 5870 is about as powerful as a 4870X2, but the 6970 was only marginally better than the 5870. It seems that this card will bring back the old trend with a new single GPU card as powerful as the previous gen 2x GPU card, as it mentions it should be as powerful as a 6990 in that article.

Edited by 90sgamer

i agree with you on the console ports, we need some serious development in games to take advantage of dx11 and beyond, my oblivion with a few texture pack updates looks better than skyrim imo, and oblivion is a 5 year old game!

but most games when pushed to eyefinity become taxing, which is why im getting some 7970s

One of my 4870X2s can more than max out Skyrim at 1080p...stagnation indeed. Of course, I can't get the second one to work at all even when forcing a different Crossfire profile...I can only imagine the amount of mods I could throw on if I could actually use all 4 GPUs. :P

Edited by Waco

thats why we need more crysis' and metro 2033's to raep our components while giving us awesome graphics and physics engines to drive other developers forward. its sad how consoles have most of the market, then budget gaming rigs, so serious rigs are so small percentagewise of customers that it becomes of little concern to companies. there wouldnt be many xfire 6970 or 7970 rigs around compared to consoles or single 6670 or 6770s

I still can't believe people think that just because a game taxes your system it is because it represents the very best tech has to offer... I'm sorry but Crysis is the worst example as it is the most horribly coded game ever. I just don't see what everyone's fascination with that game is. Its graphics sure don't match the hype people give it. Look at how long after that game was developed (2007) it is still taxing current tech despite the fact the developers didn't have access to the tech we have now ...or even know for sure where tech was headed. Not to mention the fact that there are PLENTY of games that look better than Crysis and aren't anywhere as bad at making your system cry as Crysis is.

Games like BF3 are a good example of how today's game developers are getting more creative in being able to cram more physics and lighting dimensions in without making current systems come to screaching halt. Granted EA/DiCE still kinda sux with character models. But many gaming devs are relizing that limiting your market to the 1% masochists is well... :slap:

I do agree consoles are holding PC games back, but at the same time it is no where near as bad as people make it out to be either. Show me a game that is PC only that will make BF3 look sloppy in terms of graphics ...and it was held back due to being a console port. Metro 2033 and Witcher 2 are the only ones that can compete wtih BF3. Speaking of which I have yet to hear of anyone completely maxing out those two games with current tech.

All that aside, I can't wait to see what the 7970 can do. :happy: