Motherboard Critique

A friend of mine recently bought this: Biostar TP67XE. At first, I took one look at the name and thought "oh, it's a Biostar, it'll be a solid budget board."

But now, the more I look at it, the more I realize that I'm actually in love with it. It's limited on some features (only 5 SATA ports, only 2 fan headers), but it looks like it's got SICK overclocking potential, and it's only $125.

I looked up some reviews, and Tomshardware and Legitreviews seem to be in the idea that it's a great budget board, whereas x-bit and bit-tech both say that there's better offerings in it's price range (the original $140).

Ive got an MSI Z68 GD80 board for sale if you are in the market.

Biostar has been more solid as of late but still are not in the performance mainstream.

I saw your GD80 after I posted this :P

I need something to replace my Extreme4, as I'm too lazy to RMA it for CPU socket repair until I can actually sell it to my friend when I get it back (he won't have the money for a few weeks).

There's a large part of the motherboard, you don't see.

In particular, the power circuitry.

Do you know, what's underneath those heatsinks?

Do you know if it has digitally controlled active power switching like most Asus boards?

Driver-MOSFETs?

The number of CPU Phases is not all-important, just like the quality of a PSU rarely has any connection to its rated wattage.